+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: considering HT.

Quote Originally Posted by viewsonic View Post
    Is there such thing as getting a procedure done too early? I think I am still at the beginning stage of HL. I fear that I get the procedure now just to fix the front and HL starts right behind the newly transplanted area. On the other hand, I am also worried about waiting too long and having to live with a bald head for a while. And the change from bald to hair would be very noticeable to people around me.
    Viewsonic,

It can be quite a dilemma deciding when to start with surgical hair restoration. Only you can make that timing decision ultimately. As long as you understand the risks along with the benefits.

Yes a smaller procedure like FUE to start with can enhance and add definition to your hairline but you also run the risk of beginning to chase the recessionary loss behind the transplants. This is why establishing a mature placed hairline is so critical.

If you hairline is lowered, you are then committed to it. Sometimes the surgery can advance the progression behind the grafts and then guess what? You end up going in for more procedures to continually fill in those new areas of loss.

But eventually that hair in the frontal zone is going to go. So again only you can make the decision as to when to get started. If you start with a smaller session like FUE, you reduce the overall level of trauma and ideally will not lose that much native weak hair to shock loss.

I looked at your photo once again and you do IMHO have enough loss in the frontal zone that would support at least 2,000 grafts which is not that small but would make a nice transition for you. Your loss is more recessionary than a diffused pattern of loss although there is diffusion going on. So if you do lose some hair shafts to shock, most of it should grow back IMHO.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

You must do your research and make an informed choice. That being said, here is my take:

You look like a good candidate for a HT. You have lost a good amount of frontal hair and there is a clear path for a rebuild. I do not think you have to worry about getting a transplant before your balding pattern is known and established.

I believe a front rebuild for you would take approx. 3,000-3,500 grafts. That may be on the high side. It would give a fantastic result, though.

At an average of $4 to $5 per graft, I believe you are looking at $10,000 to $12,000.

As for surgeons, I can HIGHLY recommend Dr. Ron Shapiro of Shapiro Medical Group. He and his staff are experts-- you could not put yourself in better hands. Don't be afraid to travel for your HT-- there's nothing to it and people come from all over the world to have their done at SMG.

I had a 3,700 graft procedure to the front and top of the head almost 3 years ago. I could not be happier with the results. I still look in the mirror after a shower and catch myself wondering "who is that guy?" because its a version of myself that's been MIA for 20 years.

So to answer your questions: yes I believe you would benefit from a HT at this stage. Prepare to spend about $12,000 (rough estimate). And for a top flight surgeon who can't be equaled: Dr. Ron Shapiro.

Regards,

Hal

I had a strip procedure with a trip closure using sutures. I can't find the scar anymore.

Because of my Norword scal rating (V-A to VI) I had to go this route.

I had many concerns/fears but NONE of them came true. I had ZERO pain. I didn't even need the pain medication that was prescribed. I didn't take an aspirin post procedure.

No shock loss. Good growth. I did use that graft cycle spray religiously post procedure for the first week.

It was the easiest thing in the world. I have had root canals that were tougher. One day of sitting in the chair dozing off while watching "The Lord of the Rings" and a problem that had plagued my for 20 years was basically solved. Worth every penny.

Because of my flight schedule, I didn't even come back the next day for a quick check or hair wash. Did it myself at the hotel with no problems.

My only big decision now is whether or not to complete the process. I still have a bald spot on my crown. Dr. Ron says another 2,000-2,500 grafts should take care of that.

So I have to decide: do I push my luck or just continue on? I'd like the crown work done but its not imperative. I have average scalp laxity and plenty of grafts available. I'm just not sure I want to monkey with success. For now I use Pro Thik on the crown and that that does the job.

But back to the original poster: I would not hesitate with the right surgeon. That's everything. Everyone is different and results can vary, but a good HT Doc can maximize your chances of getting the most positive result.

Dr. Ron is my choice. Let me leave you with a story about him: after a long day he sent everyone home and we were alone in the office. He helped me with my baseball hat and then we went in to his office. He sat down with me and we talked for something like 45 minutes about how the procedure went and what I could expect in terms of results. Dr. Ron brought out images of patients and we went over them.

I had a letter generated from the staff to give to the TSA people at the airport that needed a correction. I noticed it and Dr. Ron turned on the computer and generated a new letter. He then made sure the hotel van was on the way and walked me to the elevator.

This guy is a "rock star surgeon"-- the best in the world with the reputation to prove it. After a 12 hour day he could have been out the door and let his well trained senior staff attend the final details. But HE stayed. Took the time with me because he cares about his patients. That's the type of guy he is.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial but these little things tell you a lot about the guy whose making holes in your head.

Hal

There is such a thing of getting a procedure done too early and it happens far too often. Most complaints you'll see are from younger guys who jumped the gun. It wouldn't be too early in your case, but it really is up to you to make that decision. Talk to some IAHRS surgeons, they will give it to you straight and don't rush into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by viewsonic View Post
    Is there such thing as getting a procedure done too early? I think I am still at the beginning stage of HL. I fear that I get the procedure now just to fix the front and HL starts right behind the newly transplanted area. On the other hand, I am also worried about waiting too long and having to live with a bald head for a while. And the change from bald to hair would be very noticeable to people around me.