+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy I dont know wat to do

hi everybody. im not used to posting on forums but im desperate in finding a solution to this so here goes. im 19 years old and i noticed my hair started thinning a couple of months ago. i used to grow my hair really long when i was in high school, like surfer hair, and i decided to cut it shorter once i started college but now i noticed my hairline has receded alot and i can no longer grow my hair as long as i used to.

In fact, if im outside and the wind hits my hair just right, im done for. this has me really frustrated and i dont know wat to do. im actually thinking about going to a hair transplant doctor to see y my hair is receding so early in life. my father lost his hair when he was much older. im where my brother is right now and hes 25. i dont know wat to do about this. i dont know wat to do.

im usually a happy-go-lucky type of person who makes ppl giggle, but now i dont feel like laughing at anything anymore. lol im looking to see if my brother is watching while i write this cuz the jokes will never end if he finds out i went this far to do something about my hair but am i wrong for wanting to do something about this? also i started wearing a hat but i feel my hair has become thinner because of that. does wearing a hat damage ur hair?

should i get a hair transplant or is there something else i can do about my hair? it took alot of guts to write all of this down but im really depressed about this right now. i shouldnt be losing any hair at this age, should i?

also i forgot to mention, everytime i take a shower i have a couple of strands of hair in my hands and i do not have fun looking at my little buddies separating themselves from my head. i know the grammar in my post isnt that great, but i wrote it quick because i cant even think straight anymore.

i wear a hat to work everyday now because of my hair. this feeling is horrible and itll only become worse unless i do something about this now. please, if u have any suggestions on a good doctor in the miami area or some hair products that might do the trick, i would be extremely grateful. thx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    hi everybody. im not used to posting on forums but im desperate in finding a solution to this so here goes. im 19 years old and i noticed my hair started thinning a couple of months ago. i used to grow my hair really long when i was in high school, like surfer hair, and i decided to cut it shorter once i started college but now i noticed my hairline has receded alot and i can no longer grow my hair as long as i used to.

In fact, if im outside and the wind hits my hair just right, im done for. this has me really frustrated and i dont know wat to do. im actually thinking about going to a hair transplant doctor to see y my hair is receding so early in life. my father lost his hair when he was much older. im where my brother is right now and hes 25. i dont know wat to do about this. i dont know wat to do.

im usually a happy-go-lucky type of person who makes ppl giggle, but now i dont feel like laughing at anything anymore. lol im looking to see if my brother is watching while i write this cuz the jokes will never end if he finds out i went this far to do something about my hair but am i wrong for wanting to do something about this? also i started wearing a hat but i feel my hair has become thinner because of that. does wearing a hat damage ur hair?

should i get a hair transplant or is there something else i can do about my hair? it took alot of guts to write all of this down but im really depressed about this right now. i shouldnt be losing any hair at this age, should i?

Well I have to say that you ARE Lucky you have found this place and didn't wind up somewhere else. Beware of other forums and sites that do not carry the American Hair Loss Association seal because there are plenty of non-ethical doctors who would love to sell you surgery. First of all hair loss is a progressive process and if you were to get a hair transplantation now you would continue to bald past where you had the transplant and you would have regretted getting it done, I promise. So do NOT rush into surgery.

It is normal that you are losing your hair this early, there are a lot of people in your same boat and even worse because hair loss can occur anytime after puberty. So what you should do immediately is to talk to your family doctor and see if you are a candidate for Propecia (Finasteride 1mg). This should stop or slow down the progression of your hairloss and that may be all you need to do right now. I can tell by your post that you are not too familiar about hair loss so I would suggest that you do your research here and do NOT make rash decisions (especially into surgery). Also it is a myth that your hat will cause or make your hair loss worse.

Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness) is something that is inherited by either your maternal or paternal side of the family and can skip generations, but if you have it, you have it. This gene makes certain hairs on your scalp DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) sensitive. If you notice a fully bald person is not fully bald, he has hair in a horseshoe shape around his head. These hairs are called the "permanent zone" because these hairs are NOT DHT sensitive. This is where hair transplant doctors get the hair from and relocates them to the balding area of your scalp, however this is the LAST Resort.

So what happens is the free roaming testosterone in your body interacts with two enzymes in your body (5-alpha reductase type I and II), when it does this the enzyme converts the free roaming testosterone to DHT. Then the DHT attaches to the hair follicle receptors of the DHT sensitive hair. When this is done it cuts off critical nutrients to the hair follicle (like smothering it to death). Hair grows in cycles the Growing Stage (Anogen Phase) and Resting Stage (Telogen Stage). So when a hair that has DHT goes through this cycle each time the hair goes back to the growing phase it will be thinner, weaker, and shorter than the time before (This is called miniaturization). This will continue on until the hair is actually no longer visible and you see just the scalp. So hair loss will continue this process until you reach your final balding pattern on the Norwood scale (A scale that measures baldness). The final balding pattern can vary from individual to individual, its all written on your genes.

So the FDA approved drug Propecia (Finasteride 1mg) inhibits the 5 alpha reductase Type II enzyme from converting Testosterone to DHT. So this dramatically reduces DHT in your body and can actually regrow, stop or slow down your hair loss dramatically. However, this is not a cure for hair loss but it is a truly effective drug. There is No Cure yet. I personally would NOT bother with Rogaine (minoxidil 5%) even thought it is the only other drug that is FDA approved for hairloss. It has been considered to be a "band aid" in treating hair loss.

There are only two FDA Approved Drugs for hair loss Finasteride (Propecia) and Minoxidil (Rogaine). Also, I want to say that 99% of what you see online and infomercials are complete BS. Don't waste your time or money on these products as they will not work and the ones that do are overpriced and only contains either Finasteride or Minoxidil which you can get your self for a lot cheaper. This is a buyer beware market and be sure to not fall for the scams.

However, there are newer technologies that are very promising such as things with Platelet Rich Plasma treatments (PRP) and what is going on with the company Histogen. So my advice to you is to do your research with this site, watch the Bald Truth every Sunday Night at 7pm (Central Time), and only trust places with the American Hair Loss Association Seal.

You can fight this and I'm glad to see how you are taking this important step in educating yourself early. It is SOO much easier to maintain and prevent hair loss than it is to regrow, so early intervention is key. You can beat this, make sure you talk to your doctor about Propecia immediately.

I hope this helps man,
    -Destin

hey thx destin. thats great information. yeah im gonna go pro with information about hair loss and how to slow it down/stop it. I do have one question about propecia. does propecia have any horrible side effects such as constant diarrhea or vomiting? thx again for all ur help.

Awesome post Destin; summarizes everything! Well done buddy.

Lemons, I'm just a regular guy that listens to The Bald Truth radio show and participates in this forum, and I have never heard or read of Propecia side effects including diahhrea or vomiting. In fact only a very small percentage of men experience side effects from Propecia. But the percentage of men that experience side effects from Propecia pales in comparison to the percentage of men that it helps (Propecia is usually quoted by doctors as being 89% effective). So, definitely give it a shot. If you are one of the few/rare individuals to realize side effects, they are totally reversible if you stop taking the drug. But remember, you have a MUCH HIGHER chance of slowing/stopping/reversing your hair loss than you do of experiencing side effects with Propecia. So get on it man. Destin and I are online buddies, and I know that he and I have been on Finasteride (Propecia) for a while now (I've been on it for almost 2 years), and neither of us have any side effects to mention.

Definitely talk to your doctor for the final words of wisdom, but, hopefully this is helpful.

TeeJay

Hi Lemons, I hope you will find the solution that might help you solve your thinning hair problem on this forum.

I have been here for several days and so far everything is educational :-)

thx everybody for all the info uve given me. ive been looking up on the forums and im beginning to educate myself on hair loss. i gotta stay positive and do everything i can. im going to see the doctor tommorrow too