+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 17 and losing hair

It's taken me a while to build up to this moment, but I really do need help with this. I am 17 years old and I have been losing my hair since 14. I am pretty sure it is because of traumatic stress from moving to a different country, and it's been really hard. I am also 2 years behind in school so this means I will probably be bald by the time I finish high school. No one has really said anything about it yet, maybe a few people, but that's it. I think they are just being nice. To make matters worse, I have a twin brother who has kept a full head of hair, and doesn't have to worry about it. Our friends say he is cuter and hotter, and it hurts. How can I stop this madness? And what level am I on on the scale? And what would be the best haircut for me at this age?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	22390  
    Last edited by Jakewheat; 08-05-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: More photos

This is a good question. Do you know for a fact that your hair loss is caused by stress? If so, I am not sure any of the treatments would be of any help. Hopefully some people with more knowledge on stress related hair loss will give more input on what you can do.

That sucks about your twin brother though. They will always compare you guys too. The one with the hair and the bald one. That blows.

We have about the same hair and I am 20, I have longer hair though so I can hide the loss on the sides pretty easy. Been on Propecia for about 7 weeks, give it a shot. what I like to think is, it's easy to fix the loss we have right now, as long as you can slow down the hair loss with medicine and then do a hair transplant.

Now if it is stress it is a chance you will get hair back, I think I lost a lot of hair because of stress, but the last two months some hairs have come back on the hairline, and more is coming. The big change was actually to stop stressing so much, started to take care of myself a lot more and enjoy life. Partly the reason why the stress ended was because I finished school and got a job so I didn't feel as "useless" or "lost".

Don't let it take over your life, made me feel shit for a few months, lately I've stopped care as much and just lived with it and It hasn't stopped me from getting women, or being outgoing or anything like that.

either decide to try fin and/or minox or some other treatment, or just live with it really.

personally I'm nearing 22 and in the last year my thinning in the areas you have problems with has become more and more noticeable, and it really does suck man. you're going to notice everyone else's hairlines and envy some and think "at least I don't have it that bad" to others - and it's hard to get out of that rut.

2 weeks ago I decided that I was willing to play with the ~5% chance of fire using fin, this week I am now taking .25mg a day and i've been using minox foam twice a day on the hairline too. hopefully things thicken up, i'd be happy with that - otherwise if this doesn't work i'm going to buzz it down short eventually and just live with it.

I feel like a lot of this forum is just a support group - everyone pretty much knows the tried and true treatments, and that it works for some and doesn't for others. try to feel good about what you do have and not what you don't have. I know it's hard - I haven't even been able to do it yet...

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    either decide to try fin and/or minox or some other treatment, or just live with it really.

personally I'm nearing 22 and in the last year my thinning in the areas you have problems with has become more and more noticeable, and it really does suck man. you're going to notice everyone else's hairlines and envy some and think "at least I don't have it that bad" to others - and it's hard to get out of that rut.

2 weeks ago I decided that I was willing to play with the ~5% chance of fire using fin, this week I am now taking .25mg a day and i've been using minox foam twice a day on the hairline too. hopefully things thicken up, i'd be happy with that - otherwise if this doesn't work i'm going to buzz it down short eventually and just live with it.

I feel like a lot of this forum is just a support group - everyone pretty much knows the tried and true treatments, and that it works for some and doesn't for others. try to feel good about what you do have and not what you don't have. I know it's hard - I haven't even been able to do it yet...
    Man, I know. All I do is state at others hairlines, and it stresses me out...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakewheat View Post
    It's taken me a while to build up to this moment, but I really do need help with this. I am 17 years old and I have been losing my hair since 14. I am pretty sure it is because of traumatic stress from moving to a different country, and it's been really hard. I am also 2 years behind in school so this means I will probably be bald by the time I finish high school. No one has really said anything about it yet, maybe a few people, but that's it. I think they are just being nice. To make matters worse, I have a twin brother who has kept a full head of hair, and doesn't have to worry about it. Our friends say he is cuter and hotter, and it hurts. How can I stop this madness? And what level am I on on the scale? And what would be the best haircut for me at this age?
    Bro honestly If I was you .. I would try everything in my power to stop this shit, where is the fun in life if you're going to be bald at such a young age ?. You don't need this at the age of 17. From the pic and age 17 .. looks like your hair loss is quite aggressive. You need to get on finasteride to keep the hair you have left. Use Minoxidil to get some regrowth. I am 17.5 years old and on finasteride, no side effects. If you think you are done with puberty, I strongly urge you to get on finasteride.

I was about to post the bold text above until I read you have a twin brother who has a full head of hair ... Are you sure this is androgenetic alopecia? From the pic it definitely does have the pattern of androgenetic alopecia. But I don't get it, how can your twin brother who has same genes as you have have a full head of hair ?? Maybe he is on some medication? Maybe your hair loss is caused by some other factor such as stress or a deficiency in something like vitamin D. Go visit a doctor and remember to emphasize your twin brother with no hair loss

Quote Originally Posted by BudskiiHD View Post
    Bro honestly If I was you .. I would try everything in my power to stop this shit, where is the fun in life if you're going to be bald at such a young age ?. You don't need this at the age of 17. From the pic and age 17 .. looks like your hair loss is quite aggressive. You need to get on finasteride to keep the hair you have left. Use Minoxidil to get some regrowth. I am 17.5 years old and on finasteride, no side effects. If you think you are done with puberty, I strongly urge you to get on finasteride.

I was about to post the bold text above until I read you have a twin brother who has a full head of hair ... Are you sure this is androgenetic alopecia? From the pic it definitely does have the pattern of androgenetic alopecia. But I don't get it, how can your twin brother who has same genes as you have have a full head of hair ?? Maybe he is on some medication? Maybe your hair loss is caused by some other factor such as stress or a deficiency in something like vitamin D. Go visit a doctor and remember to emphasize your twin brother with no hair loss
    I honestly don't know. I have had a receding hairline since the end of 8th grade, so it's been occurring for 3-4 years now.

I honestly don't know. I have had a receding hairline since the end of 8th grade, so it's been occurring for 3-4 years now.
    I take it you prob sped through puberty at a young and fast pace too?

Remember kids like that from school - growing beards and starting to bald really early.

I can't even grow a beard and I'm receding and thinning.

If it's happening it's happening, there's no justifying it - it's just happening.

Is he an identical twin or fraternal one?