+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
    You mean while also using minoxidil?

If not, keep in mind that MPB is a gene. You can't just roll little needles on your head and it will stop the hairloss. I'm pretty sure the whole point of a dermaroller is for more minoxidil absorption.
    MPB is a phenotype, not a gene. You also wrongly assume that drugs are the only thing that can affect the expression of genes.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dude78 View Post
    No. It has nothing to do with absorption. It's all about wound healing. Wound healing triggers an embryonic state in the skin which makes it receptive to receiving instructions from wnt proteins. It is important not to use the roller every day, as this requires the healing cycle to be completed before it is triggered again.
    No, it is everything to do with absorption, micro-needling is said to massively increase absorption of any topical you put on your skin, thats why women are using it along with vitamin creams for good skin.

Your right that it does cause the skin to heal with is supposed to increase collagen levels but for hairloss the main principle is to increase expsoure to minoxil.

I'm no docter and neither are you but I really think once a day might be too much.

I would recomend using it just after the shower, the skin is softer then and it's less painful.

It is neither "nothing to do with absorption" nor "everything to do with absorption", I believe it is somewhere in between.

Yes, it is said that microneedling aids with absorption of topicals such as Minoxidil, but in this more recent study the focus is on the wounding and regeneration process. Minoxidil is not used until 24 hours after the wounding session, so increasing absorption is not the purpose of this experiment in this case.

Well then I stand corrected. Don't know much about this Dermaroller thing but I highly doubt that rolling a $20 dollar object on your head will be a good treatment for MPB.

Well then I stand corrected. Don't know much about this Dermaroller thing but I highly doubt that rolling a $20 dollar object on your head will be a good treatment for MPB.
    tell that to Follica

You mean while also using minoxidil?

If not, keep in mind that MPB is a gene. You can't just roll little needles on your head and it will stop the hairloss. I'm pretty sure the whole point of a dermaroller is for more minoxidil absorption.
    1) You're wrong on every account.
    2) Its not about just 'rolling' little needles on your head.
    3) Minoxidil absorption has NOTHING to do with it.

The objective and facts are:

Dermarolling is not meant for absorption but for WOUNDING. It is a known FACT that when wounding occurs, WNT and FGF-9 is induced during the healing process. Keep in mind WNT is the same stuff Histogen is using for their method of injections, so this already holds weight. FGF-9 was shown to grow a significant amount of hair on mice but when removed, hair did not grow. A similar pattern occurs during the wounding process in human scalp, however FGF-9 is produced in lower numbers. It is however thought that the addition of Minoxidil AFTER wounding will elevate PGE2 levels which in itself also elevates FGF-9. FGF-9 along with WNT both *should* induce growth in hair. Both of which theories are documented and published by, you guessed it, Dr. George Cotsarelis. Read here:

http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_...eneration.html

Look for this part in that article:

“We showed that wound healing triggered an embryonic state in the skin which made it receptive to receiving instructions from wnt proteins,” says senior author George Cotsarelis, MD, Associate Professor of Dermatology. “The wnts are a network of proteins implicated in hair-follicle development.”
    As for FGF-9, here's what he has to say:

In one embodiment, the present invention provides a method for generating an HF in a scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region of a subject, comprising the steps of: (a) disrupting an epidermis of the scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region; and (b) contacting the scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region with minoxidil, thereby generating an HF in a scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region of a subject.
    Source: https://www.google.com/patents/US201...ed=0CDUQ6AEwAA

The recent study had these results:

To further give evidence of this theory, heres an article from 1986 mentioning a scalp burn victim with MPB regrowing terminal hair after the burn healed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...0266-0059b.pdf

We also know that in thinning hair, scalp also thins. However dermarolling alone increases collagen production which thickens up skin. This was mentioned by Spencer on his show not long ago in regards to the dermarolling approach. In my opinion (though this is my only theory) a good environment for hair follicles will also play a role, so essentially a DHT free zone with good skin should provide results. I myself will be trying out EMU oil as its known to improve skin. The addition of dermarolling, minoxidil, and a DHT inhibitor like RU58841 or an oral one like Dutasteride should provide results.

So the dermaroller only costs between $10-$40 and will *at least* help with absorption. This, you are right about. However, there is *no reason* not to replicate this study and see what happens.

PrettyFly83 is already seeing results and has posted a link to the dermarolling thread, I would strongly suggest you read over it and at least give it though:

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=13420

When it comes to hair loss products, it is smart to be skeptical. With that being said, the the higher cost of a treatment does not always equate to better odds of effectiveness. If that was true all those expensive laser treatments would be the most effective treatments.

At a $20 price tag, I think the price is right to give it a try.

The before and after pics above suck. It is really difficult to tell of a person actually grew more hair if the after pic is showing the person with longer hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    The before and after pics above suck. It is really difficult to tell of a person actually grew more hair if the after pic is showing the person with longer hair.
    You need to see an optometrist.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    You need to see an optometrist.
    I'll look into it. Come on dude patient 2 had his head buzzed in the first pic and has it grown in on the second pic.