+ Reply to Thread

Default advice on HT candidacy

Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice about whether a hair transplant would work in my situation. I think I have a mild-moderate diffuse balding pattern (see attached photo). I've never taken propecia but I have been taking minoxidil for the last 4 years to some effect but have had to stop it recently because of side effects. Also, as a pharmacist I'm definitely not keen on taking propecia.

Just a few things to consider....

1. since I have recently stopped minoxidil my hair should return to baseline so I will experience further hair loss in the next 4 months
    2. since it is a diffuse pattern I'm wondering whether "shock loss" will be a problem.
    3. I should also lose some hair in the crown area as well (not shown) because I was also using minoxidil there also

If a hair transplant is not recommended at this earlyish stage of hair loss, when would be a good time?

Oh, and im 24. I was unfortunate enough to start losing hair at 19.

Thanks in advice for your time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	22374  

i think if you go now you will make a mistake unless you go for doubling you need at least 3k grafts in the front ,i though hairs from shock loss recover anyways..in your position i would wait couple of years,it will only benefit you,
    Quote Originally Posted by draught19 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice about whether a hair transplant would work in my situation. I think I have a mild-moderate diffuse balding pattern (see attached photo). I've never taken propecia but I have been taking minoxidil for the last 4 years to some effect but have had to stop it recently because of side effects. Also, as a pharmacist I'm definitely not keen on taking propecia.

1. since I have recently stopped minoxidil my hair should return to baseline so I will experience further hair loss in the next 4 months
    2. since it is a diffuse pattern I'm wondering whether "shock loss" will be a problem.
    3. I should also lose some hair in the crown area as well (not shown) because I was also using minoxidil there also

If a hair transplant is not recommended at this earlyish stage of hair loss, when would be a good time?

Hey everyone,

You're young and judging from your picture, you do have significant hair loss. The problem is that hair loss is progressive and unless you are on medication to stop it, having a hair transplant could be a big waste of time.

FYI, there is no proof of this "hair doubling". It's currently a term being use by an indian doctor who, as of yet, has not proven to be credible.

If you really want to keep your hair, you will probably have to try Propecia. Being that you are against that, you should just come to terms with being bald and concentrate on other things.

Thanks for your reply guys. I do agree that propecia would be a huge help. My goals are at the moment to try and maintain hair on my head until my 30s or if im lucky My 40's. At that stage I'd either shave it or with gods mercy hopefully there'd by some sort of cure. To me cost or effort isn't an issue but health is. Also keep in mind that what you don't see in the photo is relatively thick hair behind my hand.

Let me know what you think of this plan:

1. I wait a little while to see how my balding pattern unfolds and where the trouble areas are. At this stage I'd undertake a FUE to see how well I receive donor hair and to patch up a few areas.
    2. If they take well then I'd undergo strip transplants when necessary until it is no longer viable.
    3. I am more than happy to undergo multiple procedures

The big drawback here is the scarring when eventually I'd have to shave my head. Do you think that with a decent doctor this scar would be bearable?

Thanks for your reply guys. I do agree that propecia would be a huge help. My goals are at the moment to try and maintain hair on my head until my 30s or if im lucky My 40's. At that stage I'd either shave it or with gods mercy hopefully there'd by some sort of cure. To me cost or effort isn't an issue but health is. Also keep in mind that what you don't see in the photo is relatively thick hair behind my hand.

Let me know what you think of this plan:

1. I wait a little while to see how my balding pattern unfolds and where the trouble areas are. At this stage I'd undertake a FUE to see how well I receive donor hair and to patch up a few areas.
    2. If they take well then I'd undergo strip transplants when necessary until it is no longer viable.
    3. I am more than happy to undergo multiple procedures

The big drawback here is the scarring when eventually I'd have to shave my head. Do you think that with a decent doctor this scar would be bearable?
    I think you need to spend more time learning about hair transplant surgery. There are drawbacks to both FUE and strip, but if you ever plan to shave your head, you should forget about surgery all together.