+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mari0s View Post
    but according the slides you posted the average grow of hair is under 10%, more or less the same with minoxidil and they even use microneedle + electroporation.
    Sound nothing special, i'm i missing something?
    Results were anywhere between 0-29% in hair number and hair thickness was anywhere between 0-27%.

I think the results are also for women. I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers were higher in men. Don't know why anyone would bother with female pattern baldness as its so much less frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    I think the results are also for women. I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers were higher in men. Don't know why anyone would bother with female pattern baldness as its so much less frequent.
    I've been lurking around here for a while now (couple years reading the Cutting Edge section), but this reply caused me to finally register so I could post this. The callousness and inhumanity displayed with this statement are simply beyond belief.

Personally, I'm 35, but started on Propecia when I was 18. It's saved me for the most part. I'm still a good 2 on the Norwood scale thanks to that drug (my father and two of my brothers were completely bald by this age). Beyond this though, I made the choice at ~19 to just start buzzing my hair (about 1/16th to 1/8th inch) and have kept it that way ever since. Makes everything so much more manageable.

However, about 4 years ago now, my girlfriend began losing her hair (same age as I am). THAT is why people "bother" also working with women.

Though it's true that men are more (frequently) affected by hairloss than women (over 50% compared to ~20%... yes, about 2 in 10 women are affected) I can speak from first hand experience (since I've dealt with it myself as well) that it is MUCH more devastating to a woman than it is a man. We aren't assaulted non-stop by advertisements every day telling us the importance of our hair. We don't have to go through checkout lines at the supermarket unable to escape nothing but racks of magazines devoted to nothing but hair or displaying some model with the new "in" style "you SHOULD HAVE". We have the (extremely acceptable socially) option of buzzing our hair close should we chose to, and no one will ever look at us twice. Tons of guys on here THINK their lives will come to an end if they buzz their hair, but at least we HAVE THE OPTION. If my girlfriend tries this, she suddenly will become the subject of stares from everyone she walks by due to the norms of our society. And wigs? Yeah, they aren't exactly FUN.

On top of having to deal with all that, when WE go to the doctor concerned about hairloss, we (at least for those of us on here who decide to give it a shot - personally after 17 years, I'm GRATEFUL for it) are IMMEDIATELY offered up Propecia if we want it. A drug which in 8 or 9 out of 10 men WILL halt hairloss for a considerable amount of time. When women go to the doctor concerned about hairloss (I've been to all of them with her), they are put into a treadmill of testing for everything under the sun prior to anyone considering genetic hairloss as a possibility. Even AFTER months have been wasted at great expense and the only possible explanation is just genetic hair loss, THEN begins the arduous task of trying to get something prescribed to (maybe) help. More months wasted going to 3 different doctors before one will FINALLY prescribe Spironalactone. All through that... crying every night along the way.

After 4 years, we've both pretty much come to terms with it... and I surely don't love her any less because of it. If anything else it's brought us closer together.

Until you have some personal experience with one of these "bothers", why don't you give some more thought to your statements before writing off 51% of the population?

Quote Originally Posted by scrumb View Post
    I've been lurking around here for a while now (couple years reading the Cutting Edge section), but this reply caused me to finally register so I could post this. The callousness and inhumanity displayed with this statement are simply beyond belief.

Personally, I'm 35, but started on Propecia when I was 18. It's saved me for the most part. I'm still a good 2 on the Norwood scale thanks to that drug (my father and two of my brothers were completely bald by this age). Beyond this though, I made the choice at ~19 to just start buzzing my hair (about 1/16th to 1/8th inch) and have kept it that way ever since. Makes everything so much more manageable.

However, about 4 years ago now, my girlfriend began losing her hair (same age as I am). THAT is why people "bother" also working with women.

Though it's true that men are more (frequently) affected by hairloss than women (over 50% compared to ~20%... yes, about 2 in 10 women are affected) I can speak from first hand experience (since I've dealt with it myself as well) that it is MUCH more devastating to a woman than it is a man. We aren't assaulted non-stop by advertisements every day telling us the importance of our hair. We don't have to go through checkout lines at the supermarket unable to escape nothing but racks of magazines devoted to nothing but hair or displaying some model with the new "in" style "you SHOULD HAVE". We have the (extremely acceptable socially) option of buzzing our hair close should we chose to, and no one will ever look at us twice. Tons of guys on here THINK their lives will come to an end if they buzz their hair, but at least we HAVE THE OPTION. If my girlfriend tries this, she suddenly will become the subject of stares from everyone she walks by due to the norms of our society. And wigs? Yeah, they aren't exactly FUN.

On top of having to deal with all that, when WE go to the doctor concerned about hairloss, we (at least for those of us on here who decide to give it a shot - personally after 17 years, I'm GRATEFUL for it) are IMMEDIATELY offered up Propecia if we want it. A drug which in 8 or 9 out of 10 men WILL halt hairloss for a considerable amount of time. When women go to the doctor concerned about hairloss (I've been to all of them with her), they are put into a treadmill of testing for everything under the sun prior to anyone considering genetic hairloss as a possibility. Even AFTER months have been wasted at great expense and the only possible explanation is just genetic hair loss, THEN begins the arduous task of trying to get something prescribed to (maybe) help. More months wasted going to 3 different doctors before one will FINALLY prescribe Spironalactone. All through that... crying every night along the way.

After 4 years, we've both pretty much come to terms with it... and I surely don't love her any less because of it. If anything else it's brought us closer together.

Until you have some personal experience with one of these "bothers", why don't you give some more thought to your statements before writing off 51% of the population?
    More funding goes towards womens health than mens.

End of argument.

Thumbs up

I think this is a really important post! There is so much bullshit posted on these forums, but this is really a meaningful and long needed message.

As much as I have suffered in my life due to my hair loss, being a young woman with hair loss has to be devastating and is not an issue that society and science should ignore. We are men and society will accept us with or without hair, but it's so much more difficult and shameful for women.

You're a good man scrumb, I wish there were more members like you around this forum and you are right when you say that we have a drug that we can take that works. Women really don't, they will almost always lose the battle, while we can maintain indefinitely in some cases. Nice post!

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    I think this is a really important post! There is so much bullshit posted on these forums, but this is really a meaningful and long needed message.

As much as I have suffered in my life due to my hair loss, being a young woman with hair loss has to be devastating and is not an issue that society and science should ignore. We are men and society will accept us with or without hair, but it's so much more difficult and shameful for women.

You're a good man scrumb, I wish there were more members like you around this forum and you are right when you say that we have a drug that we can take that works. Women really don't, they will almost always lose the battle, while we can maintain indefinitely in some cases. Nice post!
    There's NOTHING shameful for either men or women about hairloss. The shame comes from ASSHOLES in society taking advantage of our unfortunate loss of hair only to mock, ridicule and deem us with less worth.

Regardless of the Propecia's effectiveness, it is the devil's drug, its old, dated and has many known temporary and permanent side effects. There is NO EXCUSE for this shit to still be offered 20 years after its commercialization. We should have had a full out cure a long time ago, or at least a solid treatment.

The day hair multiplication comes to market without donor loss is when both men and women will be cured. That is what the aim should be.

However, and this really needs to said and drilled into the minds of some people:

PRIORITY

Is the key word here. Women are a fraction of the hair loss world. Women already receive wide variety of treatments for cosmetic purposes. But more importantly for them, breast cancer is given a stunningly disproportionate amount of awareness, where as men's prostate cancer is left in the dark, underfunded and.. for the most part, men's testicular/prostate problems are often times turned into a joke. Try that on women, see how far you get. The NFL even had a month designated towards breast cancer awarenes, pink ribbons were worn, etc. Where is the equality for men... in a MANS league?

Yet men die 6 years before women. In fact, a large number of medical studies are done on men as the volunteers, from prison and military, essentially taking one for the team.

I won't stand AT ALL for the blatant disregard to men. I sympathize for anyone going though hair loss, but there is NO reason to put more emphasis on men when the numbers clearly prove that the priority should be made for them... at least for this, I'm fvcking tired of being socially crippled and mocked for it, nobody would dare to do that to a woman.

I won't stand AT ALL for the blatant disregard to men. I sympathize for anyone going though hair loss, but there is NO reason to put more emphasis on men when the numbers clearly prove that the priority should be made for them... at least for this, I'm fvcking tired of being socially crippled and mocked for it, nobody would dare to do that to a woman.
    What blatant disregard to men? Most trials are being conducted almost exclusively ON MEN. The hell are you talking about?

If you can't acknowledge that there's a clear societal acceptance difference between bald women and bald men, I don't know what more to say. It is ABSOLUTELY easier to be a bald man in our society than it is a bald woman. They ARE looked upon as "weird" by a lot of people. People WILL stare when they see bald women. The same DOES NOT go for men. We're just "another bald guy" to people. I'd venture to say that a lot of the mocking and humiliation that people on here think is occurring is largely self-induced, and the general public is not thinking anything close to what you've built up in your own minds. In the past 4 years (since I've become extremely sensitive to public reaction for my GF) I don't recall ever seeing anyone staring at a bald guy's head out in public. And the the 13 years prior, no one's been staring at my buzzed head either. Why? Because it's "accepted" in our society. I'm not saying MORE money should be spent on womens' hair loss. But the fact that you seem to irrationally have an issue that ANY is being spent, or that they were even in a trial at all, is what pisses me off.

Scrumb I agree with a lot of your points. Women who are "bald" are definitely looked upon as weird in society... But that's simply because it just not common, regardless of the figures you throw out there.

Women who are bald are viewed as most likely someone going through chemo or having an underlying medical condition. It's just not the norm to see women bald or balding...so of course you can expect stares. You're argument is really based on comparing apples to oranges.

Unfortunately, a large percentage of men develop some sort of baldness by the time their are 50...so obviously men who are bald are more "accepted" and I use that term loosely...and it's simply because its a genetic curse that affects so many men worldwide. The numbers don't lie. Bald men everywhere.

I sympathize with your situation and GF. Having hairloss is devastating point blank. I don't care if a man or woman is experiencing it. It's terrible on both sides.

What blatant disregard to men? Most trials are being conducted almost exclusively ON MEN. The hell are you talking about?

If you can't acknowledge that there's a clear societal acceptance difference between bald women and bald men, I don't know what more to say. It is ABSOLUTELY easier to be a bald man in our society than it is a bald woman. They ARE looked upon as "weird" by a lot of people. People WILL stare when they see bald women. The same DOES NOT go for men. We're just "another bald guy" to people. I'd venture to say that a lot of the mocking and humiliation that people on here think is occurring is largely self-induced, and the general public is not thinking anything close to what you've built up in your own minds. In the past 4 years (since I've become extremely sensitive to public reaction for my GF) I don't recall ever seeing anyone staring at a bald guy's head out in public. And the the 13 years prior, no one's been staring at my buzzed head either. Why? Because it's "accepted" in our society. I'm not saying MORE money should be spent on womens' hair loss. But the fact that you seem to irrationally have an issue that ANY is being spent, or that they were even in a trial at all, is what pisses me off.
    You really believe its socially 'accepted' to bald? Have you been living under a rock all your life? Don't tell me the mockery is self induced, I get shit from my female coworker about my hair often... and too bad I can't say anything in response because 1) I'm a guy and any complaint I make will go overlooked 2) I'll immediately be seen as a weak BITCH. Something women despise equally as much as balding.

So I have to basically take the flack.

AND THANK GOD for most trials being conducted on men! Its *largely* our problem anyway. Don't think for a second that I'm against women deserving of a treatment, but they are NOT a priority in this ordeal. And hair loss is just one health issue men have and the way I see, its the ONLY one where men have the leg up on this. Marty Nemko wrote an interesting piece on the gender pendulum a while back. He found in PubMed over 3,000 medical journals in the last 60 years and for every 43 studies there were on women.... ONLY ONE WAS ON MEN. 43 to 1 studies in womens favour. FOURTY THREE. That is downright disgusting. You don't think its about time men got *some* attention?

And I feel for women having to go through this shitty disease, I'm one of the victims... I know EXACTLY how it feels... only I get called out for publicly right to my face and silently when I notice peoples eyes go up my forehead. So what, men aren't capable of feeling shitty about it? Don't downplay AGA.

I feel for women having to go through this shitty disease, I'm one of the victims... I know EXACTLY how it feels... only I get called out for publicly right to my face and silently when I notice peoples eyes go up my forehead. So what, men aren't capable of feeling shitty about it? Don't downplay AGA.
    This is spot on. I can relate...

hellouser you contribute a lot to this community, but right now you sound like a chauvinist prick who enjoys playing the victim