+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The moment of realization

A few weeks ago I started a new job and took my picture for my id. I got it back a few days ago and it really hit home how much hair I've lost. I still think of myself with a thick head of hair and it was really shocking to see that picture. Anyone else have that type of moment?

Yeah mine came in 10th grade

It was raining that day.. my hair was a little damp and I was in the canteen. A friend from college was sitting across me. He said "hey what heppened to the hair near your parting?". I said "The hairdresser was careless and cut it off", he said " you should sue him". It's been 4 years and I still remember the moment like yesterday

Mine was kinda different at the time i still had hair but it was very weak at the front and receded i did some weird style with my fringe to make it not look as bad i thought it looked ok (i was in denial)...i remember i saw my reflection and thought "what am i doing i look stupid"...it was then i thought "thats it enough is enough tomorrow i get it buzzed" and have ever since...it was a reality check that this is it im going bald no more hiding i suppose before i knew i was going bald but tried to keep it in the back of my mind not think of it hope i wouldnt lose no more etc...this was realization that it is happening.

Mine was kinda different at the time i still had hair but it was very weak at the front and receded i did some weird style with my fringe to make it not look as bad (i was in denial)...i remember i saw my reflection and thought "what am i doing i look stupid"...it was then i thought "thats it enough is enough tomorrow i get it buzzed" and have ever since...it was a reality check that this is it im going bald no more hiding i suppose before i knew i was going bald but tried to keep it in the back of my mind not think of it hope i wouldnt lose no more etc...this was realization that it is happening i cant hide no more.

It wasn't my moment of realization, but it was my first time being called out.

Was out drinking with friends, we were playing Kings Cup. Jack make a rule; the rule was you cannot address people by their names, or you have to drink.

My friend addressed me: "Hey! 'Balding at the sides', (something)."

Whatever followed was not important. I tried to play it off, probably not well. Somebody said "Well, that was pretty roughhouse (harsh)."

Some other time when out, a friend (not anymore, and because of this incident) said I looked like a cancer patient.

That has stuck with me since, but I don't believe it myself, nor do hope to subject myself to such negativity.

End of that friendship, straight up. Don't need abuse like that.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Some other time when out, a friend (not anymore, and because of this incident) said I looked like a cancer patient.

That has stuck with me since, but I don't believe it myself, nor do hope to subject myself to such negativity.

I had exactly the same experience 3 weeks ago, i shaved my head for the first time, one of my old friend said i looked like a sick man, even if he joked it's vicious

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post

Me and my friends always joke about each other apperance (we wouldnt do it if we knew each didnt like it)...i like it that way this way it feels more like going bald is nothing to worry about (but then again i dont mind my look now)...rather have it that way and not have people feeling awkward and not knowing if to ok talk about my hairloss just in case i dont like it.

And oops double posts.

I have been losing my hair for about 13 years. Started buzzing it about 8 years ago. I knew that I was steadily losing hair, but didn't realize it was really bad until recently. I was making a funny video and captured the top of my head. When I watched the video I though to myself holy crap I didn't know I was that bald. I started researching and trying treatments shortly after. That was about 3 months ago.