+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wylie keep us updated and it's nice to see your keeping up with your plan... Hopefully to pay off soon.
    How does the donor area where the beard grafts were taken from look?

The area under the chin and the neck show zero signs of any beard being extracted, this seems to be the No. 1 concern is what does the extraction sites look like? Well, all I can say is the fairer your complexion, the less chance you have of any beard extraction sites being visible. If you are white I don't think you will ever have anything to worry about, can't speak to those of other races.

I had 500 more extracted Sept. 9th and placed along the part line up top, so that will fill in more behind the front half, which is largely complete.

If you ever research SMP for scar repair and find out who is doing a good job and can be trusted in this industry, be sure to share it with the rest of us. I would like to try this on my numerous strip scars in back. 700 beard grafts helped but it needs more than that, I think SMP can work if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by wylie View Post
    The area under the chin and the neck show zero signs of any beard being extracted, this seems to be the No. 1 concern is what does the extraction sites look like? Well, all I can say is the fairer your complexion, the less chance you have of any beard extraction sites being visible. If you are white I don't think you will ever have anything to worry about, can't speak to those of other races.

I had 500 more extracted Sept. 9th and placed along the part line up top, so that will fill in more behind the front half, which is largely complete.

If you ever research SMP for scar repair and find out who is doing a good job and can be trusted in this industry, be sure to share it with the rest of us. I would like to try this on my numerous strip scars in back. 700 beard grafts helped but it needs more than that, I think SMP can work if done right.
    Thanks wylie.... this helps. I am doing a test patch next month. if all goes well, i'll do a larger session in the winter.

Would you be able to do another pass of FUE into the scars? I do research SMP all the time and currently the only clinic I would trust would be beauty medical in Milan. Plus its temporary. my goal however is to not even need SMP once i'm done. Time will tell.

Yea, I could do another pass of FUE, but I think the most effective treatment is a combination of both. I would like to try SMP but don't want to spend more money on it than I would FUE. Flying to Italy solely for this is out of the question, and every U.S. clinic specializing in this seems shady and does not pass the smell test. Rassman and I believe his assistant in LA are doing this and I've read mixed reviews, and Shapiro in MN. is just getting started, although I don't know if he is even the one doing it. I don't feel like being a guinea pig for someone to learn on, thanks but no thanks. I guess it will be a few years until someone competent emerges.

I read that body hair once transplanted normally goes away after some time. Is that just general or a certain type. I also read that leg hair isn't that suitable, like the 2nd to last hair you'd want to get. Is that just in general since most male have radically different hair from head to legs?

Like for instance, I have fairly thick leg hair. It looks like some of the hair transplants from NW7 to NW1 diffuse you'd see. I'd easily see a yield of 20,000-30,000 hairs from both legs. So please help me understand why body hair/leg hair is seemingly considered fringe. (not many offer it, and lots of people scoff at it)

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post
    I read that body hair once transplanted normally goes away after some time. Is that just general or a certain type. I also read that leg hair isn't that suitable, like the 2nd to last hair you'd want to get. Is that just in general since most male have radically different hair from head to legs?

Like for instance, I have fairly thick leg hair. It looks like some of the hair transplants from NW7 to NW1 diffuse you'd see. I'd easily see a yield of 20,000-30,000 hairs from both legs. So please help me understand why body hair/leg hair is seemingly considered fringe. (not many offer it, and lots of people scoff at it)
    Leg hair sometimes grows on the scalp and when it does grow, it commonly loses caliber over a few years time. That was the case with me. I can still see where it was placed but there is no longer any cosmetic benefit. This is the result of a study conducted by Dr. Cole several years ago.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant Atlanta
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 08:59 AM.

do you know why it lost thickness?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post
    do you know why it lost thickness?
    As far as I know, there are theories why certain body hair loses caliber when transplanted to the scalp, but there isn't anything solid everyone agrees on. Follicle regeneration is moving forward slowly but another consideration is one of developing a method of modifying body hair so that it essentially "transforms" into hair that has characteristics closely resembling scalp hair. This would solve a lot of men's donor supply issues.

Today, as mentioned before, next to scalp hair, beard hair is best. Next to beard hair is chest hair and stomach hair. At this time these alternative hair sources work best for scar repair although beard hair is excellent for adding density to the crown. Dr. Cole generally avoids using beard hair and other body hair when there is adequate scalp donor hair available.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 09:00 AM.

Below I have posted my leg hair over approximately an 8 year period but could be closer to 10 don’t remember the exact date and I don’t have the original pictures handy at the moment. The leg hair in my case has thinned drastically while the chest hair is as strong or stronger than ever. The issue with chest hair in my opinion is that the procedure has to be really small as I have seen way too much extensive scarring from large sessions……..very scary. I think leg hair is a complete waste of time and money and is not in the best interest of the patient in most cases.

I agree, Topcat. Leg hair is often lost with maturity in many individuals. It is easy to harvest. It leaves no real evidence that it was harvested even with a 1.0 mm punch. the problem is, that it can fall out over time. That's a major concern. Chest hair is more enduring, but again, it does not always grow as well as we would like. some of the people with the thickest patch of chest hair had poor growth. I have no idea why.