Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • optimisticyouth
    • Jul 2013

Propecia and brain damage

Hey guys. I decided to split my questions into different threads so the answers don't jumble up. My second question is how much info do we have on the long term use of finasteride causing brain damage due to deprivation of neurosteroids that are produced by 5AR? If I get on it, I'm gonna be in it for the long haul so answers from posters who have been on propecia for a while are appreciated. Thanks!
  • ravegrover
    • Jan 2011

Never heard of such a thing. Been on Fin for over 12 Years now and people tell me I am smarter than I was 12 Years ago

Comment

• vinnytr
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ravegrover
      Never heard of such a thing. Been on Fin for over 12 Years now and people tell me I am smarter than I was 12 Years ago
      Obvious question , do you get any side affects ?

Comment

• youngin
        • Nov 2010

I have not heard that people with 5-alpha-reductase deficiency have any brain damage, and they go their whole life without DHT.

Comment

• optimisticyouth
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by ravegrover
          Ravegrover, is it still working for you after 12 years? And thanks for the responses!

Comment

• JulioGP
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by optimisticyouth
            Hey guys. I decided to split my questions into different threads so the answers don't jumble up. My second question is how much info do we have on the long term use of finasteride causing brain damage due to deprivation of neurosteroids that are produced by 5AR? If I get on it, I'm gonna be in it for the long haul so answers from posters who have been on propecia for a while are appreciated. Thanks!
            Yes, this is true. This brain damage is not something physical like most here are thinking. See in PROPECIAHELP you will find several cases of irreversible side effects. This irreversibility occurs for any damage caused to neurosteroids.

There are several reports of it on the internet.

Comment

• burtandernie
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by JulioGP
              Yes, this is true. This brain damage is not something physical like most here are thinking. See in PROPECIAHELP you will find several cases of irreversible side effects. This irreversibility occurs for any damage caused to neurosteroids.

This is possible. Its a drug with risks so everyone taking it must just accept that. It is considered safe so far, but again many unknown things happen slowly over long time with no outward signs so just because someone takes it for 10 years with no changes they noticed doesnt mean nothing changed.

Comment

• BudskiiHD
                • May 2013

Originally posted by JulioGP

How do you explain this then?

Originally posted by youngin
                I have not heard that people with 5-alpha-reductase deficiency have any brain damage, and they go their whole life without DHT.

Comment

• ravegrover
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by optimisticyouth
                  Ravegrover, is it still working for you after 12 years? And thanks for the responses!
                  Working as in I am maintaining my hair, no further loss. And, no side effects.

Comment

• UK_
                    • Feb 2011

The title of this thread is hilarious.

Comment

• Valerie
                      Doctor Representative
                      • Jul 2013

Propecia

I agree with some of the other posters that we don't really know about super-long term effects and every possibility. But my doc has prescribed it over 1000 times and hasn't had any major complaints from any patient.
                      I am a representative/patient advisor for Dr. Glenn Charles. All of my posts are my own personal opinion based on working in the industry for the past several years.
                      www.charlesmedicalgroup.com valerie@charleshair.com

Comment

• UK_
                        • Feb 2011

The PFS Foundation has recently released an Annual Address to the public:

I think this is relevant at the Bald Truth, there are simply far too many men coming on these forums complaining about Finasteride side effects (persistent or temporary). I think a treatment that could counteract said side effects could make Finasteride a relevant option for more men.

Please donate: 97% of donations go directly to medical research into PFS, the board of the company are all unpaid volunteers.

Thank you.

Comment

• drybone
                          • Dec 2012

Women tend not to cart around a bunch of DHT in their system . However many men claim they have brain damage so I dont know.

Comment

• Jcm800
                            • Jan 2011

I've made a donation, even if you think you won't need they're help, one day you may be glad they're working on a solution. It'd make me more keen to try the drug if there was a back up plan personally.

Comment

Working...