+ Reply to Thread

Default The terrible journey of balding in Canada

Hello to everyone.

I'm just posting here to voice my journey, or should I say, start of it. I'm 25 years old, and beginning (I think) to thin in a diffuse pattern. About three years ago I noticed hairs falling and quickly became obsessed with determining what in the heck was going on. Was it telogen effluvium, stress, or god forbid - hair loss. It wasn't until about a year ago that I decided to take action. The thing is, my hair looks pretty good still, when its dry it looks 100 percent, no visible signs anywhere ( to the public that is ). But wet it looked pretty bad, some serious scalp being seen under bright light. I have a high forehead, but my hairline looks good still, probably a NW 1.5. All I knew or should I say know, is my hair felt thinner on top, there were miniaturized hair in the hairline it was getting trickier to style and my hair was bone dry, like hay.

This is where it gets poopy. I have been in contact with the most reputable and I'm talking heavy weights in the game up here in Canada. Albiet, through photo submissions. I made sure to voice everything - hair change in thickness, miniaturization, texture, dryness, the falling out with white bulbs of 12-15 in the shower. Pics of hair wet and dry under pretty harsh lights. But every time I got the same response, no one in their right minds would say you were bald, you're fine. I however still was like, great! What about a miniaturization test a bulk analysis. As the naked eye cant see anything unless at a certain point. If this is the early stages, or if its just in my head, I wanted to get the tests done to show me whats going on. Never did I get any responses back. This happened three times with three different HT Doc's. When finally I got to go into a place, but only to be seen by their associate. So not a doctor, no actual tests, just pure eyeballing. Surprisingly this guy said I was balding, which was fine. But I know hair cannot be noticeably seen to be balding by the naked eye unless pretty close to 50 % miniaturization. Which my hair, is definitely not. So again I ask for the tests, so I can see whats going on, map my scalp. From what I have gathered the pretty basic and normal process of determining hair loss, unless of course you are visibly bald. Again, no luck.

I went to my doctor, my derm...still, no one could offer me these tests. I live in Toronto - and to me, this was just ludicrous. The biggest city in Canada, over 5 million ppl living here and no place in the city or around could offer me this!? What the heck!? I really felt overwhelmed and helpless. I wasn't just gonna pop propecia of Fin based off the fact my hair has changed with no tests or anything to support, show or dispel what was occurring. But there was alwasy the fear of if I wait, it could get to that point. Over a year of searching and I still was at the same place, and with my hair possibly getting worse. I became majorly depressed. In the past three years my hair has definitely changed, this I know. Thickness, texture - but not enough to be seen by the naked eye. I know, because its my hair, I know what it "was". But hope, hopefully - has come. I may have finally found a place to get these tests done. Sad that I had to desperately search it feels like every doc or derm in the province to find it. With no help or resources from my family doc, derm or any big name HT doc around. But I hope to come to a conclusion soon. If anyone lives around the Toronto area and is having issues finding these tests. Sunnybrook Hospital dermatology does them. I have to get my doc to get me seen by them, and lord only know how long it will take for me to get in the be seen. As in Canada in can be months depending on who you are going too.

But my story starts here, and what ever they find - I hope to begin something. Propecia and Fin scare the crap outta me, and a HT obviously is something that cant happen until balding has taken a pretty strong foot hold. So hopefully I can get some answers, and maybe help some of you guys out in Canada (Ontario) trying to find someone that can do these tests.

im from Toronto too. I am 22, just started fin this summer. Forget about all these tests, if you think you are balding realistically you probably are. In my early stages when I was 19, 20 my family and friends thought I was crazy when I said my hair felt like it was starting to thin. Nobody knows your hair like you do so forget other peoples opinion and get on fin. I wish I got on it last summer or even when I was 20. And don't be scared about fin, of course there are sides but only 5%ish of ppl get them.

Thanks for the reply goldbondmafia. I hear ya, I just would like to see where I am at is all. If I can quantify the changes, map out the loss - somewhat determine where my hair loss is headed; I would feel much better about it. I think one of the worst things, well, about anything really is the not knowing part. At this point in everyones eyes, Docs incl. its all in my head - I would like to see for sure. Hair changes are normal, but to what extent is my concern. How has your experience been so far on fin for the summer? Any shedding or sides?

I'm gonna have to back up goldmafia on this. I as well started generic fin two months ago and have been nothing but satisfied. So far no sides, like at all, and still waiting for results. Nothing has changed with my hair since I've taken it except a shed which occurred a few weeks ago. Now just waiting for something to happen ha. But back to you, i seriously believe no one has better judgement than themselves when it comes to hair. If u are pretty sure you're balding, most likely you are. So like you said, take some action, do some mapping on your hair, get on some sort of medicine, whether it be fin, dut, and/or minox. Just start taking action Best of luck dude! Peace!

Thanks user1991. I am ready to do what I have to - I just don't wanna jump the gun if its early in the game and not at a point where I am clinically balding. I remember reading your older post and thinking your hair looked pretty decent, did you have any miniaturization tests or bulk analysis done prior to getting on Prop/Fin? I'm glad to hear some good news with the Propecia/Fin so far instead of horror stories.

Quote Originally Posted by DangHair View Post
    Thanks user1991. I am ready to do what I have to - I just don't wanna jump the gun if its early in the game and not at a point where I am clinically balding. I remember reading your older post and thinking your hair looked pretty decent, did you have any miniaturization tests or bulk analysis done prior to getting on Prop/Fin? I'm glad to hear some good news with the Propecia/Fin so far instead of horror stories.
    From reading several posts and articles, honestly jumping the gun early in the game is where most of the success happened. Ha honestly, I did nothing except visited my derm. After that I wanted to do anything to slow/save my hair. Since then been on fin, but with all honesty dude, people hype up fin and all these drugs to mess u up, which who knows, but if hair is really a big issue to you, just take the dive. I can honestly say i've been so much happier since i've started, whether it's actually working or not, as long as i have no sides, at least i'm doing something. I wish you the best of luck amigo! Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by DangHair View Post
    Thanks for the reply goldbondmafia. I hear ya, I just would like to see where I am at is all. If I can quantify the changes, map out the loss - somewhat determine where my hair loss is headed; I would feel much better about it. I think one of the worst things, well, about anything really is the not knowing part. At this point in everyones eyes, Docs incl. its all in my head - I would like to see for sure. Hair changes are normal, but to what extent is my concern. How has your experience been so far on fin for the summer? Any shedding or sides?
    There is no way to tell how your hair will change. Its all in the genetics...your hair loss genes could speed up for 2 years then slow down or start slow now and 5 years down the line speed up. Impossible to tell. Trust me man I waited until I started showing signs of baldness near my hairline before I took meds and now I wish I would have done it sooner than later. Mine has been good so far, no signs of shedding (other than the normal amount) and no sides. Im just hoping it working but only time will tell

Dang Hair.

You have come to the right place. No need for tests. Put up some photos of your hair up here . There are several professionals who can probably diagnose your case from the photos.

Thanks drybone! I really appreciate everyones feedback. As much as posting pictures may be a good thing to do - I have submitted photos to some of the top Hair transplant doctors around, and everyone of them they told me there is nothing to worry about. So I know I'm at a point where its tough to make a call purely off photos; Its always a tough call when its in the early stages. I have bad days where I take pics and I think holy crap its worse, than days where I take pics and it looks better. I know the obsessing is playing a huge part - but thats where I think these tests help. Give you the facts of whats going on rather than judging daily in the mirror. I know many may not be a fan of them, but from reading up thoroughly, unless you're already at that visible balding point, these tests can determine where you are miniaturizing, how much and thus predicting where you will end up - maybe not a time frame, but show you a pattern of balding that you would otherwise not know unless its at a point of no return.

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

Yeah. If it doesn't look problematic, docs won't care. They'll believe that you are just being over critical but they don't know what your hair once was. They don't know what it is now.

Anyways, once you find out the details about your follicles, what are you planning to do about it? I mean, there is only so many things you can do. And if it doesn't look that bad at all, maybe you ARE being very critical in terms of how you feel like you want to appeal to the public. Because as long as your hair doesn't look diffused or thinning, no one will ever know because its just not something people around you really care about until it actually becomes evident. Everyone is and will always be more aware of themselves than anyone else until of course, someone else's problems lick them in the face.