+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The hairline is one thing, but the fading of my hair up top is whats really getting to me. The last time i completely buzzed my head was about june-july of 08, since then my hairline went upwards significantly on the sides. Just compare the two pictures with my buzzed head from last year to the recent hairline.

To me is seems like a very significant recession within 1 year.

What people notice is how thin my hair is up top. It's true, and it seems to get worse by the day. Around the sides i have really rich thick hair that feel really full between my fingers, on the top it feels like i'm running my fingers through dried up grass. When I look into a mirror now at my hairline, I can see my pale scalp several inches past the hairline... before it used to be so thick I couldn't see anything behind my hairline, just dark full hair. This hairline fading is very recent, i'd say within the past half to one year.

Everyday i wake up and check out my hair and its progression, it seems like the frontal hairs are getting thinner on a daily basis.

Then you should really get started on Propecia. Nothing else you can do really...

That's very unfortunate to happen at 22. You have GREAT hair.

I shouldn't really be on these forums, I just came to ask a basic hair question in another thread. But I just felt compelled to throw in my two cents...again, that's cool hair you've got. I hope you can find a regiment that can keep it.

Is this nizoral shampoo thingy that i keep hearing about from people good for these kind of things? Is it worth the purchase?

Should i go see any dermitologist before purchasing it or going on any type of supplement/prescription regiment?

Should i just see a regular doctor and get some blood work done just in case if it is just something else and not MPB yet?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

No one would ever discourage you from seeing a medical doctor to rule out other causes of your hair loss. I recommend Nizoral 1% shampoo, as it may have some anti-androgen properties as well as it helps reduce the load of fungus on the scalp that could be participating in the hair loss process.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

Hi Doctor Epstein:

Is Nizoral 1% shampoo available over the counter, or by prescription only? I hear some fair things about it. Do you happen to know if it is expensive?

Thanks so much Doctor Epstein, for being an awesome doctor!

TeeJay

I'm scared of starting propecia or something of the sort because of all the side effects i keep hearing about. There is a whole forum dedicated to the side effects, some permanent, from the use of propecia.

One of the things being erectile dysfunction problems. I don't feel that not being able to get it up justifies having hair.

LOL...

But anyways.

Here is a little rant, i just have to get it off my chest. I completely hate it when people compliment on how thick and beautiful my hair is. This makes me want to cry on the inside, because yes, I do realize it's very thick and beautiful NOW. People don't know that I am thinning and losing it very quickly. My frontal hairline had thinned out a great deal in the past year and my right temple is going higher up everyday. Not to mention that about 1.5 inches from the hairline on the right temple is all minaturization, and thin too.

My sides are ridiculously thick as they always have been... nice thick and curly, but the top of my head is getting thin at a rapid rate. It wasn't like this 2 years ago, or even 1 year ago.

What's the point of having all this very thick beautiful hair if I'm losing it at such a young age? While i see people with thin hair that have a full head of hair, although thin, their whole entire lives.

Well if you are very concern about the sides, I would recommend taking .25mg of propecia a day. Thats a 1mg pill cut into quarters. Theoretically you could take .25 every other day and get similar results. I doubt you would experience any sides at all on such a low dose, but you could quite possible see some very serious results. Your follicles haven't had time to die yet, so you have a very real chance of gaining most of that back.