+ Reply to Thread

Default Question about heredity?

I know there is a lot of disagreement over the mode of inheritance, but I was just curious what you think based on personal history?

I'm 32 and am not sure I'm losing hair. My hair is blonde-ish and wispy fine and I just had a crappy haircut that left me wondering. I have minimal shedding. Family history isn't too great - dad, his brother, and their father are/were bald/balding (have the same color as they do). My mom's dad was not bald but all of her male cousins, maternal uncles and maternal grandfather were bald/thinning.

Will try to post some pics. Thanks. :-)

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Heredity definitely plays a major role in male pattern hair loss. It can be from either side of the family or some combination of both. Only time will tell. Consider preventative treatments as soon as you notice hair loss/ thinning.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

MPB is inherited, it can come from either side. Based on my experience, it is more likely to come from the father. If your father is bald and you are not, then consider yourself very lucky.

Funny, my father's father and his brother both had/have full head of hair. He got it from his mother's side then passed on the dreaded disease to me. Life sucks!

Thanks Dr. Charles and ravegrover,

Again, I'm not too sure about my own situation - if I'm confusing extremely fine, naturally "thin" hair with thinning hair. I can see scalp under very bright lights, but I'm not sure if that's due to a combination of hair texture and VERY oily scalp and hair, which I have.

My dad would be bald, but has had 2 transplants, though at my age (32) it was pretty well receded with vertex balding. I do have his color, sandy blonde. My mom's dad had similar hair to mine, extremely fine texture and the same hairline with a slight widow's peak, but his was black. He was the only man in my family to keep his hair. I keep reading that the mother's line is the most important because of the X-linked AR gene. Rave, my observation has actually been greater for maternal influence - I know so many guys who have dads with full heads of hair who are rapidly balding; they all say they got it from their mom's dad or uncles. I know this is just anecdotal.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I wish we had a crystal ball to look into and be able to see the extent of a persons future hair loss. Usually if someone has hair loss on both sides of family they will experience some type of hair loss.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile