+ Reply to Thread

Default Over-useage of Hair Dye speeds up MPB???

Hey guys,

Is it possible that the over-useage of hair dye can speed up the male pattern baldness process? When my friend was younger he used to dye his hair frequent enough and now he is thinning and has a receeding hairline at the age of 21. I also dyed my hair alot when i was younger, too much to be honest. When i was 15 i had a bit of an accident with hair dye, i dyed my hair about 4 times in the space of 1 week because i wasnt happy with the colour and ever since then my hair has been gradually thinning and receeding. I am now 20 with a reeceeding hairline and a bit of thinning. So i am fairly sure that the over-useage of hair dye can possibly speed up the Male Pattern Baldness process???

Default Hair dye reply

Hello there - your story sounds a lot like mine- and I can say without a doubt that dyeing my hair set the wheels in motion for my MPB.

When I was 18 I dyed my hair with a strong black color and the next few weeks it stared to break off in the shower in big clumps and the hair was replaced with thin wispy hairs . It seemed to happen fast and when I went to see a dermatologist he said it was MPB - he said it was probably going to happen anyway but the hair dye may have "made it happen faster" .

.. And then my life was never the same - I can tell you as my hair was breaking in the shower I developed seborrehic dermatitis on my scalp - tons of flakes with the breakage -which I've NEVER had before or since that incident.

So while dyeing doesn't necessarily cause hair loss for everyone-I def believe if you have the MPB gene something like hair dye can weaken the follicles that are already weak from DHT and then it starts - most people who have breakage from hair dye have it grow back just the same but I was unlucky -

I'm older now but i still think about how different my life would've been had I not dyed my hair that day ... How much longer would i have gone without hair loss until it started? I'll never know but I'm stuck with my choices.

My advice would be to see a dermatologist and just get an opinion and then do something as soon as you can- don't wait 2 years and be like me - I wasted so much time because I kept thinking "I can't be going bald I'm 18!!!" I lost a lot of precious time that way and I wish I would've gotten on finasteride sooner because I can't grow back what I lost.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

MPB is caused by hair follicles' sensitivity to DHT - bottom line.

Finasteride, minox, keto. Go.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by townie View Post
    Hey guys,

Is it possible that the over-useage of hair dye can speed up the male pattern baldness process? When my friend was younger he used to dye his hair frequent enough and now he is thinning and has a receeding hairline at the age of 21. I also dyed my hair alot when i was younger, too much to be honest. When i was 15 i had a bit of an accident with hair dye, i dyed my hair about 4 times in the space of 1 week because i wasnt happy with the colour and ever since then my hair has been gradually thinning and receeding. I am now 20 with a reeceeding hairline and a bit of thinning. So i am fairly sure that the over-useage of hair dye can possibly speed up the Male Pattern Baldness process???
    Studies involving identical twins published by Sharon Keene MD in "Forum", a doctor to doctor magazine indicates that coffee drinking is generally good for hair growth. On the other hand, cigarette smoking, excessive sun exposure, stress, and hair dyes and straighteners can have a negative impact on healthy hair growth.

I use hair dyes and need every hair I have and more, so I think it's a matter of careful use to be on the safe side.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Atlanta, GA
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 02:58 PM.

i definitely still think that the over-useage or bad useage of hair dye can speed up or trigger MPB in a person who has the MPB genes in their blood. What do ye guys think???

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Some of the dyes have ingredients that can be harmful to the hair follicle and potentially advance a person through the genetic hair loss process quicker.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by townie View Post
    i definitely still think that the over-useage or bad useage of hair dye can speed up or trigger MPB in a person who has the MPB genes in their blood. What do ye guys think???
    To put things in perspective, we had a repair patient in a few weeks ago who had a straight-across hairline grafted by another clinic with twos, threes, and even four hair grafts. He was shocked at the appearance when the hair transplant grew in. He tried without success to laser the follicles to death. He had Dr. Cole surgically remove the grafts.

When I was 16, I placed my hands in a bucket of caustic carburetor cleaner. It burned my skin, but didn't kill the hair.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 02:58 PM.

anyone else have any experiences or anyone else have a valid opinion???