+ Reply to Thread

Default If you were me...

Hey guys, im on here just curious for some advice. I'm 20 years old, and my hair (crown) seems to have been thinning out a bit. I first noticed more hair coming out around new years, and this continued throughout until about early-mid may. I've started to notice less hair coming out (though still a fair amount) overall I think my hair has gotten noticeably thinner.

I'm not completely opposed to fin, but would like to avoid it if possible. I realize also that it would probably be pretty unrealistic for me to expect to have hair throughout my 40s and 50s..I kinda just want to hold onto some decent hair until i'm in my early thirties.

So basically my two questions im seeking advice on are:
    1) I've had some bad dandruff (for about the same period of time) so do any of you think that that could be a cause (it might explain why ive noticed less hair coming out; its better but still bad) so are there any things you guys would recommend for this?
    2) Do you think its too early for me to start rogaine?

Here's some pics

This was in the winter...

Today..

can take more pics if anyone needs, so would you guys wait a bit longer or just take rogaine? thanks for the input!

Idk if it's just me, but i can't see the pics....

I can't see the pics either....

Dude, I am a year older than you, and was in the same position as you a year ago, and if I could go back in time and do things over again, this is what I would do...

1) Start shaving your head
    2) Get blood/hormone tests, start on a low dose of fin
    3) Start Minoxidle
    4) Continue to research more about hairloss

In a years time from when you start your regimen, grow out your hair again and if you are at baseline, continue doing what your doing, if not, look into expirimentals.

I say shave your head as a first step, which may seem odd...but this is based on my personal experiance. I wish I had shaved my head when I was below a nw2, and it wasn't as noticeable. It'll take your mind of hairloss, make applying topicals much easier, and help you to determine if your regimen is effective and you can continue with it.

First, treat the dandruff rightaway. It can make hairloss even worse. Next, do some research on forums and consider taking Fin.

hey, yeah, sorry about the mix pictures that wouldnt upload...here they are.

Those are all recent, note I have seen less shedding lately.

So do you think its best for me at this point to hop on the rogaine bandwagon...I would prefer trying that route before I try fin, or is that a waste of time?

You are still young. I would get on rogaine. You can find generic minoxidil for cheap online. This is something that you can do even if your budget is tight. You are still young and still have a good amount of hair so I would try my luck with that. I would not shave my head unless I had a pretty bad shed. If you do it might be a good idea to buzz it short.

If minox does not work then I would consider fin.

One last thing I forgot to mention. Get yourself some anti dandruff shampoo. Use it every few days if you decide on minox. It will dry your scalp, but you can manage it with shampoo.

Doctor Representative

Default Preserving Hair

I think as a young guy it is a good idea to do everything you can to keep what you have. Fin & Rogaine - We tell guys to use the Rogaine foam and do it once a day instead of twice a day. But don't ever start two things at the same time - because if you have a problem with one or its working really well, you won't know which one. So start them a few months apart.
    I am a representative/patient advisor for Dr. Glenn Charles. All of my posts are my own personal opinion based on working in the industry for the past several years.
    www.charlesmedicalgroup.com valerie@charleshair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    I think as a young guy it is a good idea to do everything you can to keep what you have. Fin & Rogaine - We tell guys to use the Rogaine foam and do it once a day instead of twice a day. But don't ever start two things at the same time - because if you have a problem with one or its working really well, you won't know which one. So start them a few months apart.
    I made this mistake. I have been fighting hairloss for only about 3 months now, but I have tried quite a few things. I was in a different boat than many of the men on these forums. Many of them are just begining their battle. I have pretty much already lost the battle and am just trying find something that works because I really don't have much time left and didn't want to waste time trying to figure out which treatment works. Especially since many will need to be used for 6+ months.