Dermarolling Community Trial

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beetee133
    • Apr 2013

One quick question about wounding in this context. My understanding of the wounding process in humans is that if the wound is severe enough to cause a scarring process to start, that no hair will regrow in that area ever. I thought the main take away from the recent Cotsarelis research is that that's the main difference between these mice and humans: when the human skin is wounded and scarred it will never regrow hair, but that it's possible that if some chemical agent is introduced it may be able to change the process from one that would produce a scar to one that would produce hair follicles. If this is the case, that would seem to indicate that if one did not use the right chemical (from what I understand the correct chemical is either unknown or just known by Cotsarelis) and one is inducing wounding there is a chance (possibly a good one) that they will be causing scar tissue to develop and then no hair will ever grow in the scarred areas again.

Take it for what it's worth (not much) and everyone is obviously free to experiment as much as they want, but a potential word of caution. It seems to me that some percentage of the people on this forum actually have pretty decent heads of hair but are really freaked out about what they think they see coming down the pike in terms of hair loss. While I don't blame anyone for that, it might make as much sense to look at your hair in terms of how much you have as opposed to how much you think you've lost.

I obviously have no idea what will happen if you experiment with this wounding process, but just be careful, as it would be a shame to dramatically and permanently advance the process of balding in an effort to make it go away, especially if you are someone that no one else can even really tell is suffering from MPB.

Comment

• Velvetmonkey
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by greatjob!
      I don't understand why you wouldn't want to replicate a successful study unless you experienced unbearable side effects.
      I just think minoxidil is such a hassle. I used it 10 years ago but can't say it did anything for me.

I will however try the microneedling and rub some emu oil on my scalp right after.

Comment

• mari0s
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by beetee133
        One quick question about wounding in this context. My understanding of the wounding process in humans is that if the wound is severe enough to cause a scarring process to start, that no hair will regrow in that area ever. .
        mmm many people use the 1.5mm in their face for acne scars and usually they push hard with a lot of blood but i never heard that beardhair have stop to regrow, do you have a link of that research?

In the study they said middle erythema so there is no need of push until bloods out, someone should really try to contact them i can' understand why no one has tried, we don't even know if they have use DR with cross-lined needles or straight

Comment

• doke
          • Jun 2009

If you dermeroll everyday you only need to use minoxidil once a day thats what i am doing as it makes minox more powerful and less side effects.

Comment

• doke
            • Jun 2009

I think there has been users for a long time using dermaroller heres a link to where i got my first roller with the woundhealing copper peptides spray also a video of the use with minoxidil once a day use
            just a word see the video and i am not saying buy from them as i now get either tricomin or procyte copper peptides in other words shop around the video might be helpful as said use minox 5% once a day.

Comment

• the_dude78
              • May 2011

Originally posted by doke
              I think there has been users for a long time using dermaroller heres a link to where i got my first roller with the woundhealing copper peptides spray also a video of the use with minoxidil once a day use
              just a word see the video and i am not saying buy from them as i now get either tricomin or procyte copper peptides in other words shop around the video might be helpful as said use minox 5% once a day.
              Great link, thanks!

Comment

• the_dude78
                • May 2011

Originally posted by doke
                If you dermeroll everyday you only need to use minoxidil once a day thats what i am doing as it makes minox more powerful and less side effects.
                But the idea is to NOT roll every day. The wound healing process apparently requires time to do its magic.

Comment

• greatjob!
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Velvetmonkey
                  I just think minoxidil is such a hassle. I used it 10 years ago but can't say it did anything for me.

I will however try the microneedling and rub some emu oil on my scalp right after.
                  Why don't you try the foam? It is not a hassle at all, dries in a few minutes and I actually find that it acts as a thickening styling agent. Also it is now available in generic, I get a 6 month supply of generic foam from costco for around $60.

Comment

• the_dude78
                    • May 2011

Since Nizoral acts as an anti inflammatory, I guess it would be a bad idea to use it with the dermaroller. Or?

Comment

• hellouser
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by the_dude78
                      Since Nizoral acts as an anti inflammatory, I guess it would be a bad idea to use it with the dermaroller. Or?
                      You could try getting OFF of Nizoral and seeing results with wounding, and then trying to add Nizoral back and seeing the new results.

Comment

• StayThick
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by SOTF
                        This is just wrong. If you aren't bleeding you my aswell be using a .5mm roller. Use a 1.5mm, apply light pressure and see how much of those needles are getting penetration. 1/4th? If I am pressing hard enough to get even half the 1.5mm needles into the scalp, bleeding occurs.

People have been using .5mm for a long time and have no acheived results like in the newest study. So which is it?
                        No you're wrong.

You are not suppose to apply with as much pressure to cause blood. Do you seriously want to scar your head? Does hair grow from scars on your body?

They don't on me and I have a big one on my arm. Point is, the study does not indicate you have to draw blood. When I roll, it is painful and my skin turns bright red, specifically in the corners of my hairline which is my biggest concern. I couldn't fathom applyin any more pressure just from a pain standpoint.

Some of you guys are nuts.

Comment

• greatjob!
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by StayThick
                          When I roll, it is painful and my skin turns bright red
                          This is correct. I am starting to wonder if most of the people here have even read the study or understood it.

The specific part of the study that describes what the desired outcome of the micro-needling says, again, to use the derma roller "until mild erythema was noted". Erythema does not mean bleeding, it means redness of the skin caused by blood from capillaries flowing into the lower levels of skin tissue as a result of skin injury. This is the purpose of the micro-needling to release the blood from the capillaries into the skin on the scalp, because the capillaries are going to carry the growth factors to the injured tissue and also the dormant follicles.

Comment

• bigentries
                            • Dec 2011

I'm worried about people speculating so much about needle sizes, use of minox, adding other stuff, etc.

We don't even know if this thing works or not, think about laser studies and the lack of anecdotal evidence

First we need to replicate the results with the same methodology and later try new approaches

Comment

• Pentarou
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by bigentries
                              First we need to replicate the results with the same methodology and later try new approaches
                              This. Before anything else.

Comment

• The Alchemist
                                • Mar 2011

Count me in on this. Just came back from a haircut and i'm reaching peak desperation. Realized looking in the mirror that i'm on at the beginning phase of NWIIIA type loss. I'm receded, though not too deep in the corners, but i'm getting diffusely thin throughout the front. By this time next year, the frontal third of my head will be gone or just scraps that will be impossible to style.

I think the transition from NWII to NWIII is pretty rough to go through, it's the point where you actually start looking visibly balding to other people. Start dealing with the eyes that wander up to your hairline. F'ng baldness...what BS.

Tried derma-rolling a ways back, but never committed to it fully. I was inconsistent and then stopped after a month or so. Saw no results. Still have the roller so will give it a shot again. Think i'll roll twice a week and will be applying minox foam once at night. And i use Nizoral though it's some off brand, so who knows if it works. Now that i think about, my hairloss started accelerating right around the time i stopped using real Nizoral from Johnson and Johnson. The past 6 months, i've lost more than in the past 3 years combined. J&J stopped producing it....seriously FML, the one thing that was helping me hold off the MPB and now it's taken away for no reason.

I'm desperate, so i'm in...

Comment

Working...