+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nutritional Deficiences *Vitamin D* & shedding

Has anyone had success with improving their nutritional deficiencies and stopping hair loss?

I'm 29 now, and have had severe shedding begin about 3 years ago. I'm going through a major shed right now and about 50% of my hair is gone. However, it doesn't appear to be MPB. It's Telogen Effluvium and I've been racking my brain trying to find a cause for it.

My blood tests over the past few years have CONSISTENTLY shown that I'm severely deficient in Vitamin D. Vitamin D has been shown to have significant influence in many areas of bodily functions, including hair growth.

Before I take any pills/rogaine/etc, I want to make sure my nutritional levels are normal. I'm currently taking 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D, Vitamin K2, biotin, magnesium and a multi-vitamin daily.

Has anyone with shedding (not receding hairline/MPB) seen improvements through nutritional improvements?

That's interesting that you mention nutrient depletion. Not sure about finasteride/minoxidil or any of the hairloss medications. But, I started taking a statin medication and have been concerned about the depletionary effects of the drug. Did some research and came across this company www.buyreplenishvitamins.com. They make multi-vitamins that are designed to address specific medications. Been using their statin complete and have been happy with it - good price and decent quality.

I don't know, maybe request to see if they could do one for hairloss?

Quote Originally Posted by NJhair View Post
    Has anyone had success with improving their nutritional deficiencies and stopping hair loss?

I'm 29 now, and have had severe shedding begin about 3 years ago. I'm going through a major shed right now and about 50% of my hair is gone. However, it doesn't appear to be MPB. It's Telogen Effluvium and I've been racking my brain trying to find a cause for it.

My blood tests over the past few years have CONSISTENTLY shown that I'm severely deficient in Vitamin D. Vitamin D has been shown to have significant influence in many areas of bodily functions, including hair growth.

Before I take any pills/rogaine/etc, I want to make sure my nutritional levels are normal. I'm currently taking 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D, Vitamin K2, biotin, magnesium and a multi-vitamin daily.

Has anyone with shedding (not receding hairline/MPB) seen improvements through nutritional improvements?
    when did you start taking vitamin D.. Did you notice any difference?

Both my blood tests in response to hair loss (~5-7 months ago) showed I was vit-D deficient. I'm sure my hair loss is MPB, but I'm sure getting my vit-D levels up would be beneficial.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't taking a supplement not the same as absorbing UV rays when it comes to vit-D? I think I'm going to get a membership at a tanning parlor, as wack as that may sound. For sure by winter.

Quote Originally Posted by secrethero89 View Post
    when did you start taking vitamin D.. Did you notice any difference?

My last blood test was in Oct 2012, I was severely deficient. I took Vit-D pills for 90 days during the winter. Then went on a tropical vacation for a week and practically got burnt from the sun (more vitamin D), then I got another blood test done last month June 2013 and I was still severely deficient.

So this time, I went to a Naturopath who said I may be having issues absorbing Vitamin D. So I have to take Vitamin K2 also to help with absorption.

So to answer your question, I haven't increased my Vit D levels high enough yet to notice any difference in my hair. But I've been taking pills for the past month and my shedding hasn't stopped at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Both my blood tests in response to hair loss (~5-7 months ago) showed I was vit-D deficient. I'm sure my hair loss is MPB, but I'm sure getting my vit-D levels up would be beneficial.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't taking a supplement not the same as absorbing UV rays when it comes to vit-D? I think I'm going to get a membership at a tanning parlor, as wack as that may sound. For sure by winter.
    I had the same question about taking a supplement vs absorbing rays and I was told it's acceptable to take pills. Almost everyone is Vit D deficient and the recommended daily amount was also doubled in recent history. I think chronic deficiency in Vit D could have some sort of synergistic affect that would cause hair shedding, but it's just my best guess.

I had the same question about taking a supplement vs absorbing rays and I was told it's acceptable to take pills. Almost everyone is Vit D deficient and the recommended daily amount was also doubled in recent history. I think chronic deficiency in Vit D could have some sort of synergistic affect that would cause hair shedding, but it's just my best guess.
    Sounds good. I've read conflicting opinions on the topic, so I haven't invested too much thought into it.

I'll probably get a tanning membership if I start no-guarding my head, regardless.

If you're 'severely deficient' then your Doctor will have likely told you to take some 10,000 IU VitD for like a month straight and then drop down to 2000 IU per day

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    If you're 'severely deficient' then your Doctor will have likely told you to take some 10,000 IU VitD for like a month straight and then drop down to 2000 IU per day

Exactly. I'm still shedding like crazy though. Even hairs from the side/back of my head are falling off easily. I have NO idea what's causing this!!

Interesting.

I have the same shedding going on, scored abominably low on a Vit D test.
    On 10,000 a day right now for a month, then 1,000.

We will see.