Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJhair
    • Feb 2012

Nutritional Deficiences *Vitamin D* & shedding

Has anyone had success with improving their nutritional deficiencies and stopping hair loss?

I'm 29 now, and have had severe shedding begin about 3 years ago. I'm going through a major shed right now and about 50% of my hair is gone. However, it doesn't appear to be MPB. It's Telogen Effluvium and I've been racking my brain trying to find a cause for it.

My blood tests over the past few years have CONSISTENTLY shown that I'm severely deficient in Vitamin D. Vitamin D has been shown to have significant influence in many areas of bodily functions, including hair growth.

Before I take any pills/rogaine/etc, I want to make sure my nutritional levels are normal. I'm currently taking 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D, Vitamin K2, biotin, magnesium and a multi-vitamin daily.

Has anyone with shedding (not receding hairline/MPB) seen improvements through nutritional improvements?
  • The Alchemist
    • Mar 2011

That's interesting that you mention nutrient depletion. Not sure about finasteride/minoxidil or any of the hairloss medications. But, I started taking a statin medication and have been concerned about the depletionary effects of the drug. Did some research and came across this company www.buyreplenishvitamins.com. They make multi-vitamins that are designed to address specific medications. Been using their statin complete and have been happy with it - good price and decent quality.

I don't know, maybe request to see if they could do one for hairloss?

Comment

• secrethero89
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by NJhair
      Has anyone had success with improving their nutritional deficiencies and stopping hair loss?

I'm 29 now, and have had severe shedding begin about 3 years ago. I'm going through a major shed right now and about 50% of my hair is gone. However, it doesn't appear to be MPB. It's Telogen Effluvium and I've been racking my brain trying to find a cause for it.

My blood tests over the past few years have CONSISTENTLY shown that I'm severely deficient in Vitamin D. Vitamin D has been shown to have significant influence in many areas of bodily functions, including hair growth.

Before I take any pills/rogaine/etc, I want to make sure my nutritional levels are normal. I'm currently taking 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D, Vitamin K2, biotin, magnesium and a multi-vitamin daily.

Has anyone with shedding (not receding hairline/MPB) seen improvements through nutritional improvements?
      when did you start taking vitamin D.. Did you notice any difference?

Comment

• BigThinker
        • Oct 2012

Both my blood tests in response to hair loss (~5-7 months ago) showed I was vit-D deficient. I'm sure my hair loss is MPB, but I'm sure getting my vit-D levels up would be beneficial.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't taking a supplement not the same as absorbing UV rays when it comes to vit-D? I think I'm going to get a membership at a tanning parlor, as wack as that may sound. For sure by winter.

Comment

• NJhair
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by secrethero89
          when did you start taking vitamin D.. Did you notice any difference?

My last blood test was in Oct 2012, I was severely deficient. I took Vit-D pills for 90 days during the winter. Then went on a tropical vacation for a week and practically got burnt from the sun (more vitamin D), then I got another blood test done last month June 2013 and I was still severely deficient.

So this time, I went to a Naturopath who said I may be having issues absorbing Vitamin D. So I have to take Vitamin K2 also to help with absorption.

So to answer your question, I haven't increased my Vit D levels high enough yet to notice any difference in my hair. But I've been taking pills for the past month and my shedding hasn't stopped at all.

Comment

• NJhair
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by BigThinker
            Both my blood tests in response to hair loss (~5-7 months ago) showed I was vit-D deficient. I'm sure my hair loss is MPB, but I'm sure getting my vit-D levels up would be beneficial.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't taking a supplement not the same as absorbing UV rays when it comes to vit-D? I think I'm going to get a membership at a tanning parlor, as wack as that may sound. For sure by winter.
            I had the same question about taking a supplement vs absorbing rays and I was told it's acceptable to take pills. Almost everyone is Vit D deficient and the recommended daily amount was also doubled in recent history. I think chronic deficiency in Vit D could have some sort of synergistic affect that would cause hair shedding, but it's just my best guess.

Comment

• BigThinker
              • Oct 2012

I had the same question about taking a supplement vs absorbing rays and I was told it's acceptable to take pills. Almost everyone is Vit D deficient and the recommended daily amount was also doubled in recent history. I think chronic deficiency in Vit D could have some sort of synergistic affect that would cause hair shedding, but it's just my best guess.
              Sounds good. I've read conflicting opinions on the topic, so I haven't invested too much thought into it.

I'll probably get a tanning membership if I start no-guarding my head, regardless.

Comment

• NotBelievingIt
                • Oct 2011

If you're 'severely deficient' then your Doctor will have likely told you to take some 10,000 IU VitD for like a month straight and then drop down to 2000 IU per day

Comment

• NJhair
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by NotBelievingIt
                  If you're 'severely deficient' then your Doctor will have likely told you to take some 10,000 IU VitD for like a month straight and then drop down to 2000 IU per day

Exactly. I'm still shedding like crazy though. Even hairs from the side/back of my head are falling off easily. I have NO idea what's causing this!!

Comment

• TheSwingingGate
                    • May 2013

Interesting.

I have the same shedding going on, scored abominably low on a Vit D test.
                    On 10,000 a day right now for a month, then 1,000.

We will see.

Comment

• NJhair
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by TheSwingingGate
                      Interesting.

I have the same shedding going on, scored abominably low on a Vit D test.
                      On 10,000 a day right now for a month, then 1,000.

We will see.
                      Here's some info on my shedding, let me know if you have any similarities.
                      I'm 29 and mine has been happening for the past ~3years now and there's a good chance I've been Vit D deficient during that whole time along with having high cholesterol (not too high, I'm overall healthy and in great athletic shape).

It used to shed profusely during the Fall season, then I'd have some regrowth by Spring. But now the shedding has gotten so bad that the regrowth isn't noticed. I have clear signs of hair loss.

Sometimes my scalp would feel a strong tingling/burning sensation at some points during the shed.

All the hairs falling out have a small white bulb at the end. People say this means it's just going through it's natural cycle and it'll grow back, but I don't think its the case considering my hairloss has gotten worst.

I don't have the typical receding hair line. My hair is just shedding from the top.

I recently found out that I have a wheat/gluten allergy. I'm going to get an official sensitivity test done soon, but I've heard of the possibility of having some type of autoimmune/inflammation response to wheat allergy that could be related to hair shedding.

See any similarities with yours?

Comment

• TheSwingingGate
                        • May 2013

Well, I think I am in the MPB group, but I wonder with my Vit D levels being low, if there isn't some correlation...especially with the recent studies.

I am 37, first noticed thinning behind center of hairline and vertex 2 Summers ago. Last Summer, I went thru a vicious bout of TE with the white clubs as you mentioned. I had the same scalp tingling, burning, with Folliculitis, and the Derm sent me home with a topical steroid oil. Eventually the TE went away, but the hairloss did not correct.

This Summer the "TE" is back, without the white clubs. I am shedding on top in the classic MPB pattern, but in the back and on the sides as well. I insisted that my GP test my Vit D, and sure enough it was low. I also had the reoccurrence of red, tingling scalp, but switching to a Sulfate-Free shampoo has completed cleared this. I am prone to allergies, dermatitis, etc., so this helped.

I am back on Rogaine, and considering tapering on to Propecia, as I have tried it 2X before with side effects.

I don't know what to make of all this (I think Androgenic Alopecia is a complex system of several factors), but we may be on to something.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...