+ Reply to Thread

Default Spencer, any IAHRS Surgeon, or anyone with knowledge......

This is probably going to sound like a silly question but I'm legitimately concerned about this. I'm in a bit of a financial bind right now. I can't afford my next refill of Propecia for another 10 days or so and I only have 5 pills left. What I'm going to have to do is take 1 pill every other day for the next 10 days to avoid going too many days in a row without taking anything. I don't know how long it takes Propecia to leave the system, but if I do this before I can afford my next refill will I be okay or will I mess myself up? If so I'll just bum the money I need off of someone till payday. Thanks.

Arrow

According to Merck, it takes about two weeks for DHT levels to return to where they were before beginning treatment with finasteride. Many experts believe that once DHT levels have been suppressed for several months it takes very little finasteride to maintain these suppressed levels. In other words, don’t worry about it, you’ll be fine. I skip days all the time and there have times when I’ve been off the medication for more than a week.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Robert True, MD's Avatar

Default Safe to be off Propecia for 1 to 2 weeks?

Spencer is right. Brief periods of time off Propecia will not be a problem. By taking the drug every other day your levels will be maintained adequately. The original Propecia studies submitted to the FDA showed very little difference in DHT suppression with 0.25 mg, 0.50 mg and 1 mg. The 1 mg dosage was selected because it demonstrated the most consistent suppression with the least potential for side effects.

I do want to caution you and everyone that intermittent use of Propecia where you regularly are off for 2 or more weeks at a time will almost always result in shedding of hair that does not recover when propecia is resumed.
    Robert True, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Hey thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the feedback very much! Spencer, you and the IAHRS doctors are a god send..........I'm glad to have you guys around!