+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Some follow up questions after starting fin/minox

moved

Quote Originally Posted by redy View Post
    So I'm verging on 22 now and I've noticed that my hair was thinning and receding a bit for the last year-ish now. Especially in the front.. Under light my temples are extremely thin and basically see-through and I'm very self-conscious about it, and hate it. My hair has been thinner in those areas for a few years now, but I always just assumed that's what my hair looked like and I was too young to be losing it..

Then I had a pretty nasty shed for a few weeks in the spring this year and I started freaking out, but people just kept telling me I was too young to be balding..

I'm at this crossroads now where I can either try something and do something about this to save my hair, or I can just keep my hair really short until I'm shaving it all off eventually. I really like my hair though, or used to, and I would always get compliments on the style of it.

My dad is bald, my mom's dad has a full head of hair, my dad's brothers all have their hair. Not sure what to make of that now but I always thought I had a good chance of being worry-free when it came to hair loss.

What should/can I do? I'm really afraid of the side affects blah blah blah, I've read that rogaine with make my hairline fall out and form massive holes with bugs crawling out or something if I start using it there opposed to the crown.
    I understand if I start a treatment I probably will shed, but I won't stop if I do start treatment.. I'm afraid that rogaine might not be what I need for the hairline. Also I do have a pretty heavy cowlick on the crown.

Anyway, here's some pics. Advice would be greatly appreciated..

Hey man sorry to hear about it. I have hair loss too and I'm 22. I went through college with it and feel like I would have been more successful with chicks. Which isn't to say I wasn't but I know I could have done better. Oh well. In the words of Taylor Swift, "I don't know about you but I'm feeling 22/Everything will be alright if we just keep dancing like we're 22" meaning just chill, you're only 22, everything will be fine. There is no cure out today but there definitely will be in the coming years.

My advice is not to try experimental shit on here and go to a doctor. People on here claim to know what's up but there are many people who are working on a cure for a living and there's a reason why stuff isn't released yet.

What I do is cut my hair short and when it fills in a bit it doesn't look bad. Use Rogaine religiously, nizoral seems to work well. Being 22, finasteride and avodart are not really great gambles for the long run. It's well documented that some people are permanently affected sexually by those drugs. Unless you're willing to gamble with a single-digit integer chance of getting erectile dysfunction at the age of 22, it's a bad bet.

What I'm doing is focusing on what's important. Friends look past what's going on in your hair. Family should too. Work hard, work out, eat right, take care of other things you can change (attire, grooming, body mass, etc). Eventually, there is bound to be a cure released. It may be expensive. Save up for it.

My hair looks pretty much exactly like yours redy and I'm barely 18 =/

I'm getting Propecia (to start off with a .5mg dose) and Proscar very soon. Keep us updated on your experience with the drug.

hey, so i've been on everything for about 5 weeks now, so far so good with everything

shedding vellus hairs a lot, but since they were just little brittle things anyway it doesn't really affect the cosmetic appearance.

grew my hair out a bit and kind of can just cover up the front by using a messy look with fiber paste.

i've been seeing more and more pigmented vellus hairs the last week or so every day, and I'm starting to get kind of excited about that. They are starting to cover both sides with long fuzz or tiny pigmented thin hairs all the way down to the NW1 levels. If I could get what I have filled in to my hairline, that would be incredible for me. However, if these new growths continue and I can even get more back, I mean, I don't even know what I would do I'd be so happy...

I've just been trying to forget about it, and just do my thing.

A lot of people are facing the same problems, really.

Hopefully my hair is reacting like it seems to be, it's always been pretty strong my entire life so I think I may have caught it just before it was too late.