+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I feel your pain. It sucks when you look in the mirror and you no longer are happy with what you see. Once upon a time when I had hair, I used to get compliments about it and it felt good. Those days are long gone.

Don't spend to much thought on the comments from the ugly girl at the bar. Sounds like she needs to worry less about your looks and focus on her own.

You might not have as much hair as you once had, but with a name like "sausage" I am assuming you have other things going for you.
    LMFAO.

I would just like to go out on a night out for once without any comments or reaction on my bald head.

People do comment on hair loss sober but I find when people have had a drink they are obviously more open, more extravert, more confident, lose their inhibitions and will more likely say what they think.....

I don't really know why people think it is more acceptable to take the piss or even mention baldness light-heartedly than pick on sum1 for being fat.

I am pretty sure that girl would not have commented so openly and rudely to an overweight person about being fat. What makes her think it's ok to speak like that to a bald guy.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    LMFAO.

I am pretty sure that girl would not have commented so openly and rudely to an overweight person about being fat. What makes her think it's ok to speak like that to a bald guy.
    As someone who has had both problems in the past, I can only offer what I think is the explanation about the difference. Fat is considered a health problem while hair loss is not. Over the years I have heard many woman say they expect guys to go bald at some point. But bald doesn't cause the kind of health problems that fat does. A few years back I got very fat and no one said a word about it until after I lost the weight. When I was fat, I could sometimes see how they looked at me- they were not laughing, but felt sorry for me. Now they will bring it up- just a few days ago a girl at work found an old pic of me and wanted to show me the difference between now and then.

And as some of us have already said, for whatever reason girls will make fun of your balding when they like you. Don't know why-other than they know it will get our attention, but I honestly believe this is true.

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago when I saw it happen to a friend/coworker. And since that time it has become pretty obvious she has a big thing for him as she is normally very quiet except when around him and always sits by him when she can.

Years ago a girl would always give me a hard time about receding and how I wouldn't be able to stop it. Later she left me a VM joke about it starting in the back.

Yet she was asking me to do things she would not ask if she didn't really like me.

No- it's not right that they do it , but they will. My friend handled it well, probably better than I would. The whole time this girl and another was giving him a hard time he just laughed it off. The whole room was laughing and he took it very well. Only at the very end, when they kept bringing it up did it seem to get to him..and only just a little bit.

So if it happens again try to laugh it off as they may be trying to test you.

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    No- it's not right that they do it , but they will. My friend handled it well, probably better than I would. The whole time this girl and another was giving him a hard time he just laughed it off. The whole room was laughing and he took it very well. Only at the very end, when they kept bringing it up did it seem to get to him..and only just a little bit.

So if it happens again try to laugh it off as they may be trying to test you.
    He may have brushed it off, but inside he was most likely very pissed off.

I think the girl that approached me and my mates did actually say she liked bald men but I didn't hear her say it, just remember my mate saying...'you're in there mate' then she went on to say how she fancies Jason Statham.....still I could not understand her reasoning for putting me down.

anyhow I am still annoyed about the whole thing, I was in a positive than usual mood before this happend, now my weekend has been ruined from a hangover and her negative comments.

I was starting to think I was reasonably ok with how I looked bald, when to be honest my opinion about my bald self changes all the time, one minute I'll be like I look a right state bald, the next I'll be like actually I look ok, I guess it depends what mirror I look in, what the lightings like, and what I am wearing.

I rarely go out on nights out, partly due to having housemates who did not previously go out, now new ppl have moved in and they are more up for going out and the other reason being partly bcos of my reclusiveness......

I have been out drinking only twice this year and both have been in the past 3 weeks......

I possibly may actually meet sum1 if I go out more often, it will obviously increase my chances.....after years of being reclusive and depressed......but I don't know how many more times I can cope with negative comments, that is one of the main reasons I don't go out because it is usually 50/50 whether I get sum abuse about my lack of hair or not.

Me and my mates did meet a few other ppl the other night....I was dancing with sum cute girl at one point, but it was only friendly...she didn't abuse me for having no hair....she seemed to be friendly with everyone in the bar though, so unfortunately no sexual vibes from her, even though I did pose for a photo in which she was bent over sucking off the bouncer (not literally) and I was boning her up the ass (not literally) on a serious note, she was nice, shame I can't attract cute girls like that anymore.

If I could find a nice cute girl that doesn't give 2 shits about my hairloss, I would not care too much about my hairloss anymore. And the extra bonus of that is a Ģ15,000+ saving in not having a HT. So really, I need to force myself to go out more often and try chatting to sum ladies.

God, what has hairloss done to me!

I don't know about other countries, but in the US, being bald it treated like a joke. Whether it be on TV or in public, people seem very comfortable about joking about it. Like some have mentioned in this thread, people who haven't seen you in a while will not hesitate to mention it. Even substitute it for a proper greeting. Even in the work place, I have sat through countless harrassment presentations, and have not once heard anything about baldness...EVER. It's like it is acceptable to rip on someone for their lack of hair.

Hairloss might not fit in the same category as obesity when it comes to health concerns, but hair loss can contribute to things that can affect ones health. I would say that depression, anxiety, etc, due to hair loss can also have harmful effects to ones health.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    I don't know about other countries, but in the US, being bald it treated like a joke. Whether it be on TV or in public, people seem very comfortable about joking about it. Like some have mentioned in this thread, people who haven't seen you in a while will not hesitate to mention it. Even substitute it for a proper greeting. Even in the work place, I have sat through countless harrassment presentations, and have not once heard anything about baldness...EVER. It's like it is acceptable to rip on someone for their lack of hair.
    This thread and your comment just provide more evidence about what I read and heard from other people, that is Anglo-Saxon countries carry tons of this shit, enough to last for generations of bald men to come. Of course baldness is a problem everywhere, but better not live in such countries as a bald man; you will be in trouble in almost every department.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    men on the other hand have often been merciless, Bristish or American guys particularly, bald guys don't get as much shit here in Brussels, so it may be a cultural problem.
    Personally I am convinced that it is, to some extend of course. See also the previous posts in this page.

I can't personally comment whether bald jokes/abuse happens in certain countries more than others. What I can say is Male banter is very common in the United Kingdom, taking the piss out of friends for whatever reason is very common. I do not know how this varies worldwide.

Females don't really do banter, they might have little jokes about dumb comments but they would not joke about each others looks.

None of this really explains why that girl I met the other night was such a cow though. It is not common for a girl to take the piss out of a guy like that.

God, I am still in a bad mood about it. It is something I really didn't need. It also totally justifies why I have not been out drinking for a long time.....cos I regularly get shit comments like that from strangers as well as friends on nights out. It is just an entirely depressing situation when I go out. Better to have my own company where no1 can piss me off.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

"Body dysmorphic disorder is a type of chronic mind set in which you can't stop thinking about a flaw in your appearance — a flaw that is either minor or imagined. But to those with Body dysmorphic disorder, appearance seems unacceptable to the point that you don't want to be seen by anyone.

When you have body dysmorphic disorder, you intensely obsess over your appearance and body image, often for many hours a day. Your perceived flaw causes you significant distress, and your obsession impacts your ability to function in your daily life."

I have had this to a degree for many years with regards to my hair. I have a great life though. I have the best wife and a beautiful daughter. My wife and daughter both have a gorgeous head of hair. My daughter has a low hairline like my wife and thick dark hair. My father had a low hairline when he was young and I inherited my mother's high hairline which I never liked.

With regards to making fun of someone who is bald, this attitude goes way back to biblical times:
    "From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office]
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Atlanta, GA
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Quote Originally Posted by Yates Hair Science View Post
    People can be cold hearted when they are not happy with themselves. Apparently she has low self esteem to make comments like that. As far as you sausage if you are unhappy with your hair loss you need to do something about. I understand having a hair transplant FUE or FUT is a big decision. DO something good for yourself if it is wanting more hair then do it. You only have one life to live and you do not need to live it worried about hair loss. Good Luck I Wish You The Best.
    Yes, I have been thinking that recently........because I have been worried about spending money on a HT........when in reality the money should not matter so much as hair would change my life, still there are concerns that a HT won't work out and having less money will also make me unhappy.......

but right now I think I have convinced myself that hair will make me happier than money.

I am in the process of having face 2 face consultations in the near future.....depending how they go, will determine if I am able to get a HT.

Unfortunately I am a NW6, so it is pretty tough being able to get something reasonable done........If Pilofocus has reasonable regeneration it could be a massive boost for me. If not I'll have to make do with 3000-4000 FUE......and try to be creative, maybe getting a mixture of SMP with the FUE.