+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting Transplant when will old hair grow back

I am planning a transplant in Dec. I have a fair amount of hair on top about 40-50 hairs per sq inch,and going to get about 5000 grafts over whole of top to thicken it.

I am wondering will my old hair on top grow back at the same rate as before in from day one so that after about a month will I look the same as before the transplant or will I be bald on top until new hair comes in at about 4 months. Does anyone have photos showing similar situation

Quote Originally Posted by 1ainslie View Post
    I am planning a transplant in Dec. I have a fair amount of hair on top about 40-50 hairs per sq inch,and going to get about 5000 grafts over whole of top to thicken it.

I am wondering will my old hair on top grow back at the same rate as before in from day one so that after about a month will I look the same as before the transplant or will I be bald on top until new hair comes in at about 4 months. Does anyone have photos showing similar situation
    I was wondering this myself, great question.

Most docs shave the R area, and I guess work around the stubble, and there are some that will work through and around the hair without cutting it.

But the question is how long before the buzzed native hair returns.

I think if the hair was healthy it will grow at 1/2 an inch a month, and the hair that was weak and thin dies and never returns. The transplant falls out and returns as early as 3 months and the later would be 5 to 6 months....

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Post operative shock probably occurs less often when the patients allows the doctor to shave the recipient area before the procedure. At the very least it is much harder to notice the hair loss due to shock once the shaved hair has grown back. If you currently have 40-50 FU's per sq cm in the recipient area I would expect some shock loss in the first month after the surgery. Healthy hair follicle that fall out due to shock should start growing just before or at the same time as the transplanted hairs. The shaved original hairs in the recipient area that are not shocked should start growing at a normal rate (1/4-1/2 inch per month) starting from the day of the procedure.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks for taking your time out to answer this question. You are a good man Dr. Charles. I see your posts on here all the time. I think its great that you are willing to do that for people on this board.

Thanks

4G

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Post operative shock probably occurs less often when the patients allows the doctor to shave the recipient area before the procedure. At the very least it is much harder to notice the hair loss due to shock once the shaved hair has grown back. If you currently have 40-50 FU's per sq cm in the recipient area I would expect some shock loss in the first month after the surgery. Healthy hair follicle that fall out due to shock should start growing just before or at the same time as the transplanted hairs. The shaved original hairs in the recipient area that are not shocked should start growing at a normal rate (1/4-1/2 inch per month) starting from the day of the procedure.
    Yes thanks for your view, its very helpful

Shockloss is something that can be experienced when transplanting into existing hair although highly unpredictable. Shockloss occurs when the native hair is weak and isn't strong enough to resist the trauma thats going on around it. More often than not the hair that has gone into shock will grow back but after 3/4 months - after the resting phase
    Hair that goes into shock and doesn't return is hair that was inevitably on its way out anyway and wasn't strong enough to return.
    Increased trauma to a localised area will increase the chances of shockloss
    Shockloss is unpredictable and there is no hard and fast rule to avoiding it - especially if you are transplanting into existing hair.

There are risk factors that either heighten or lessen someone's risk. Diffuse thinners seem more prone to shockloss than receders because the hair in a diffuse area is often less stable than that of a receder. Very often, a lot of the hair in a diffuse area is "on its last legs" and in the latter stages of the miniaturization process.

NOTE:
    Be aware that everyone is different! We ALL heal and grow at different time scales.

Your native hair though if strong and doesn't go into shock will grow back as same rate as it grew before as explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Shockloss is something that can be experienced when transplanting into existing hair although highly unpredictable. Shockloss occurs when the native hair is weak and isn't strong enough to resist the trauma thats going on around it. More often than not the hair that has gone into shock will grow back but after 3/4 months - after the resting phase
    Hair that goes into shock and doesn't return is hair that was inevitably on its way out anyway and wasn't strong enough to return.
    Increased trauma to a localised area will increase the chances of shockloss
    Shockloss is unpredictable and there is no hard and fast rule to avoiding it - especially if you are transplanting into existing hair.

There are risk factors that either heighten or lessen someone's risk. Diffuse thinners seem more prone to shockloss than receders because the hair in a diffuse area is often less stable than that of a receder. Very often, a lot of the hair in a diffuse area is "on its last legs" and in the latter stages of the miniaturization process.

NOTE:
    Be aware that everyone is different! We ALL heal and grow at different time scales.

Your native hair though if strong and doesn't go into shock will grow back as same rate as it grew before as explained.
    Thankyou for a very informative answer