+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I can understand no1 at any age wants to lose their hair.......I am not 50, but I am pretty sure losing your hair in your teens is a hell of a lot more devastating than losing hair at 50+. And I mean a HELL of a lot more devastating for so many reasons.

I started losing it at 17, went to the dermatologist at 19, told me I would be bald in a matter of years, and here I am, full-blown NW5 at 23 waiting to have his first FUE in february. No kid should have to go through this shit but it sure teaches you how hard life can be.

The guy didn't say it was 'easy' or 'fun' to lose your hair in your 50's, he said it was nothing compared to (read: a lot harder) losing it in your teenage years, 20's or early 30's and he's absolutely right about that, so I don't understand the aggravated replies. In your teenage years you're basically alone in your fight.

I started losing mine in my mid 20's and now a few years later, nearing my 30's, I do find it a lot easier to deal with it, mostly because you start to encounter people within your age group (between your age and 5 year above) on the workfloor and beyond, who are dealing with the same thing, and simply because females in that age group are a lot more mature and care less about your hairloss.

In your teenage years and early 20's your looks are all you got and are of pivotal importance on the schoolyard or dancefloor. In your 30's your looks are still important but you get a lot more other attributes who are equally or even more important. (financial/social status, humor, common interests, etc)
    Most people in their 40's are also settled down and don't need to stress themselves with the worries about what potential life-partners will think about it.

No matter how sad I was with my hairloss, I'm still grateful I got my first bald spot at 25 and not in the 7 years before.

It's not even worth the 10000000th discussion about it.

It has been shown that women get even more picky with age and tend to care even more about looks as they get older.

The opposite sex doesn't even matter. I'm already bald and I get my fair share of girls. It's just my reflection in the mirror. Of course the later the better, but it's like that with everything. I was just saying it's dumb to say things like "I won't care about my looks in my 40's" or "once you settled with a woman and had children, you will not care about being bald". My best friend who has a heavy history of balding in his family but hasn't started to lose it yet come up with those statements all the time, it's just not true.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post
    It has been shown that women get even more picky with age and tend to care even more about looks as they get older.

The opposite sex doesn't even matter. I'm already bald and I get my fair share of girls. It's just my reflection in the mirror. Of course the later the better, but it's like that with everything. I was just saying it's dumb to say things like "I won't care about my looks in my 40's" or "once you settled with a woman and had children, you will not care about being bald". My best friend who has a heavy history of balding in his family but hasn't started to lose it yet come up with those statements all the time, it's just not true.
    No it's not.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/det...MF20121219_027

I don't know if you speak Dutch. But it's basically a research done by a datingsite which confirmed that women care the most about looks from 18 to 24. It's a generally known fact and has countless of researches backing it. It's not even worth the discussion: Looks are the most important when you're young. It's still important when you get older but in terms of desires from the opposite sex, it's value noticeably decreased as you/they mature.

Quote Originally Posted by fred970 View Post

I was just saying it's dumb to say things like "I won't care about my looks in my 40's"
    Only, nobody said that.
    He said he would care about it less.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    The guy didn't say it was 'easy' or 'fun' to lose your hair in your 50's, he said it was nothing compared to (read: a lot harder) losing it in your teenage years, 20's or early 30's and he's absolutely right about that, so I don't understand the aggravated replies.
    You guys are all young balding, not bald, and unable to really understand the consequences. I keep reading posts about girls, women, looks etc., yet all of you fail to point out the most essential aspect of hair: protection. And you fail because you still have it. Even if you are an ascetic, you need your hair for protection. And let's say that in winter, and generally when the weather is fresh, you will wear a hat. This is in fact what I am doing. But what about summer and hot days as of late? Still a hat? With such heat and subsequent (huge) perspiration of a bald scalp I say no. What then, get a sunburn on my bare head if I go out? Scalp it is not like arms and legs that receive solar radiation under angle when you walk, it is much more exposed. Or should I talk about getting very easily scratches on the head?

In my age and personal situation the discussion about women is meaningless to me. But I want my hair back to protect my head from every kind of external aggression.

We are here beacuse of our hairloss which for all of us here (i presume) has started. Whats done is done.
    Whats important is if this man made hair follicle models can be used instead of real hairs. I have no problem of them being implanted on my scalp if they are cosmetically on par with real hair follicles.
    Maybe someone should contact the study authors about this. I'm currently on vacation but I might send them an email myself.

I doubt this technology will be available to be implanted in our heads. it's probable that it will be used only for research

Quote Originally Posted by hiilikeyourbeard View Post
    I doubt this technology will be available to be implanted in our heads. it's probable that it will be used only for research
    Yeah thats what they said in their paper. But still I don't think they should disregard the notion of using this as substitute hair. And in case it can't be used as substitute I want to know why.

don't get me wrong that would be absolutely incredible but I don't see that happening. maybe the hairs only survive so long or something