+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Oily scalp and dry hair w/ oily dandruff - shedding like crazy!

Hello,

So it's been close to a year since I noticed large amounts of shedding. Before last year, I never noticed my hair shedding in the shower. However, for the last 10-12 months, I shed anywhere from 40-100 hairs when I shower.

I noticed something strange happening to my scalp in the past year. My scalp became much more oily and my hair became more dry, whereas before, my scalp was a bit dry. I have a strong feeling that my hair loss is due to my oily scalp. When I scratch my scalp, thick oily (looks like liquid) and sometimes slightly yellowish dandruff, gets piled in my finger nails. It's pretty gross. No matter how much I try and scratch this off in the shower, it never goes away. My guess is that the dandruff is blocking the scalp from new hair growth.

I've been using different shampoos like Nioxin and Regenpure to help the hair loss, but it hasn't been working. I found a shampoo specifically for this problem -- Root Awakening for Oily Scalp and Dry Hair. Has anyone had the same problem as me? And has anyone used this shampoo?

Hi Rapid,

I've had a very oily, dandruffy scalp my whole life and at the worst point, I even had the gooey, yellow stuff you described and excess hair in the shower drain. At that point, I noticed I had lost probably at least 50% of my hair and I then talked to a hair transplant doctor who suggested I get some T-Gel and Head and Shoulders (and alternate between the two) and to work up a lather and use the fingertips to massage and clean the scalp (he also prescribed propecia and rogaine). These two shampoos have really cleaned up my scalp and although my crown area is not dramatically thicker now, it is at least noticeably thicker, so I can't help but think that the clean scalp has helped and maybe the propecia and rogaine too or a combination of all three.

So I think if you'll try those two shampoos and get your scalp cleaned up, it may help with the hair loss problems. I just found this web site recently and didn't know that Nizoral was helping people too, so I think I'll add Nizoral to my routine.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by rapid View Post
    Hello,

So it's been close to a year since I noticed large amounts of shedding. Before last year, I never noticed my hair shedding in the shower. However, for the last 10-12 months, I shed anywhere from 40-100 hairs when I shower.

I noticed something strange happening to my scalp in the past year. My scalp became much more oily and my hair became more dry, whereas before, my scalp was a bit dry. I have a strong feeling that my hair loss is due to my oily scalp. When I scratch my scalp, thick oily (looks like liquid) and sometimes slightly yellowish dandruff, gets piled in my finger nails. It's pretty gross. No matter how much I try and scratch this off in the shower, it never goes away. My guess is that the dandruff is blocking the scalp from new hair growth.

I've been using different shampoos like Nioxin and Regenpure to help the hair loss, but it hasn't been working. I found a shampoo specifically for this problem -- Root Awakening for Oily Scalp and Dry Hair. Has anyone had the same problem as me? And has anyone used this shampoo?
    Believe me i have spent 11 months to fix this problem and finally found the cure..
    -Low Dose Accutane 10mg twice a week
    -T/Gel Sampoo(Coal Tar)
    -Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (1/10 ACV 9/10 water)

Thanks for the replies!

I actually was using the T/Gel also. I have the Scalp Build-up Control with 3% Salicylic acid. Is this the right one? It seems like it's for dry scalp/dandruff, but ours is wet dandruff. secrethero, is the coal tar version for oily scalp and dry hair? And is there an actual ACV hair product? I'm guessing I just buy it at the local drug store?

Do you guys think I should try the Root Awakenings? And how long should I use the shampoo before I start seeing results?

I'm thinking I will rotate between Regenpure and T/Gel. I'm wondering if I should condition my hair.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks so much for the replies!!

Rapid,

I just use the T-Gel (coal tar) myself and Head and Shoulders with pyrithion zinc. Not sure if the other kinds work better or not. Also, I think the cleaner and dryer the hair is, the thicker or fuller it will appear. Seems like conditioner would just weigh it down and make it look thinner. I'm also going to start using Nizoral since it is supposed to get rid of fungal/seborreac dandruff that maybe the other two are not taking care of.

Which one is the coal tar? I went on their website and they all look the same.

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/hair/t-gel-.do

It seems like a few are specifically for itchy scalp, but my scalp isn't really that itchy. It just has oily build up with dry hair.

T Gel

I usually just get the T-Gel in the clear bottle or the cheaper generic equivalent.

The T-Gel web site is interesting though....it talks like T-Gel and T-Sal and Head & Shoulders (zinc pirithione) all do slightly different things, so it might help to rotate the three products (along with Nizoral?) until your scalp is nice and clean.

Oh man! I was using the wrong one this whole time. Mine is the T/Sal and not T/Gel

I'll run to the store and grab the T/Gel today.

I think I shed over a 100 hairs in the shower today. I have short hair, sort of a army buzz cut, so now the front of my scalp is totally visible. So depressing

I hope the T/Gel helps!

Rapid,

Don't worry about it. The web site says T-Sal will "break down the flake buildup", so you could probably use some T-Sal...at first anyway. I would rotate the three products (T-Gel, T-Sal and H&S) and get that scalp cleaned up and that's the most important thing you can do.

I went through the same exact situation as you and the hair loss stabilized after getting the scalp cleaned up and some hair even grew back over time (I added rogaine and fin to my routine later on).

P.S. Unless you just like the short army buzz cut, wearing the hair longer would help give a "shingle" effect and cover the scalp better and give the appearance of more hair...