+ Reply to Thread

Default My thoughts on taking Propecia for life

I've read a number of times on this forum that some people are hesitant to start Propecia because they don't want to take a pill for life. I guess I just don't get that reasoning.

You brush your teeth every day, right? Probably even twice.
    Many take a vitamin every day.
    Shower?
    How about shaving?

We do countless activities daily; why not add popping a pill? It takes like two seconds and will most likley have very positive results in preventing further hair loss.

I just put my finasteride next to my vitamins and take them together.

Easy as that.

Good point

I lean on the side against taking meds. Its really the side effect issue for me. I used it and dosed 1mg a day and added up needing surgery for a lump in my left pec. The lump was from the drug. I also had a serious dred shed that scared to balls off me, hair falling out faster than ever......

I just don't believe that the facts are reported in the controlled studies with 100% accuracy. I don't think the FDA is aware of all the bullchit that companies do behind their back.

I'm happy for people when it works for them, but for me it caused problems, I need a different solution, plain and simple. To keep shoving Mercks miracle drug down my throat just isn't a smart move.

I tried Avodart after, time off of Propeish, and it start doing the same thing, at the first symptom I was done with that drug too.

Mr 4000,

How long did you take Propecia after developing the lump in your left pec? And how did you know that it was the Propecia/finasteride that caused the lump?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry West View Post
    Mr 4000,

How long did you take Propecia after developing the lump in your left pec? And how did you know that it was the Propecia/finasteride that caused the lump?
    I was just starting it and I was almost relieved thinking that at least I found something that would hold my hair at a very good level.

I felt strong, my sex drive went up, I was like what is not to like about this pill, but after I was on it for what I think?? was 4-5 weeks or maybe a little longer i felt a weird discomfort in my pec, turned out to be gyno. I developed a lump that had to get cut out. It wasn't a horrible large lump because I caught it early, and stopped taking the drug. That was the first time I had to go under the knife.

I was not taking anything else at that time but that drug.

I used minox first but well before I decided to take propeiesh, and that did more harm than good as well.

Thanks, Mr. 4G. Hope all is well now. I've been on finasteride for about 6 months, and I'm happy to say I have no lumpy pecs! The only possible side effect I've noticed is a decrease in sex drive and a decrease in semen. Although, I'm not exactly sure if that's the finasteride at work or not. I would actually think that my sex drive would go up since, from what I understand, finasteride raises your testosterone.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry West View Post
    Thanks, Mr. 4G. Hope all is well now. I've been on finasteride for about 6 months, and I'm happy to say I have no lumpy pecs! The only possible side effect I've noticed is a decrease in sex drive and a decrease in semen. Although, I'm not exactly sure if that's the finasteride at work or not. I would actually think that my sex drive would go up since, from what I understand, finasteride raises your testosterone.
    Thanks HW, all is well, My doc did a great job with the knife and I have been good for awhile. You wouldn't even suspect I had anything cut out. Just be cautious if you get any tender sensations in your glads in the pecs, I tried to ingore the signs, not really knowing what the heck it was, by then it was too late.

If you sense something don't be afraid to adjust the amount or see a doc. As far as the sex drive goes, it is different for everyone. I think you have been on it long enough that you can adjust the drug to fit your needs.

Good luck, and just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean I won't be great for you....

It is a difficult decision for the long term. I personally don't like the idea of taking any drug long term but then again I want to keep my hair!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

That must have been a horrible experience for Mr.4000
    Comparing Propecia with brushing teeth is not right. Propecia is a drug and not everyone need (or want) it.

Quote Originally Posted by joeh4n View Post
    That must have been a horrible experience for Mr.4000
    Comparing Propecia with brushing teeth is not right. Propecia is a drug and not everyone need (or want) it.
    Well it hit me really fast, for a couple months or so I think I'm doing the right thing to keep my hair in check, and then within a week's time (the gyno feeling) the discomfort turned into a small nodule and the surgeon said a lot of fluid.

I couldn't lift until the stitches were out and then quick rehab period, and after that back to normal but I remember straining my shoulder because of compensation pretty bad, out that is what happens when you cut the muscle.

I wish I could take it because I would, but I doubt I will go near it again. I have been tempted to try every other day but I think it will accumulate and send me right down the same road.......