+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I started Propecia at probably 17, maybe 18, and I'm 22 now. That being said, I was bad about taking it regularly so I can't really say how long I've been good and consistent about it, but it's been at least a year, probably more like two. Before that the doses were somewhat irregular so it's hard to say what my hair might look like otherwise. I also switched to the generic somewhere down the line. Anyway, I'm just here to tell you that I haven't yet experienced any side effects as of yet (to my knowledge anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    The reason I say start at a low dose is because a single dose of 1-1.25mg cuts DHT by a lot more than a single dose of 0.05, 0.2, 0.25, 0.5 etc.

I can't point to any studies, but I'd imagine that slowly lowering your DHT levels rather than cutting them drastically is a bit better for your body. But more importantly, what do you have to lose? 1mg is the recommended dose as haircount in trials were superior to lower ones, but you can work your way up to 1mg if you chose to. And remember that even on the small doses your DHT will pretty quickly get cut by almost the same amount, it will just be reduced at a slower rate.

As far as baselines go, again, you have nothing to lose, why not do them if you can? If you already for example have low free T, low DHEA, low FSH etc aka an irregular hormonal profile as it is, it could be wise to reconsider. Also if your system ends up getting destoryed you have baseline tests and doctors woul dhave better idea of a treatment plan if you have to undergo hormone therapy.

Point is, the mind is VERY powerful. Do if potential sides are a major cause for concern/anxiety for you, take my advise and perhaps you will gain the peace of mind and to try it out!
    Thats exactly right. I will be getting baseline blood tests done for sure and will taper up the doseage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrium View Post
    I started just before I was 21. I constantly regret not starting sooner, because I've been waiting over a year for my hair to very slowly come back again (while I'm trying to grow it long), whereas if I'd started even a few months earlier, I would be doing far better by now. (For example, 6 months sooner would probably have put me a year ahead of where I am now, since it would have prevented much of my loss in addition to starting the regrowth earlier.) So my advice would be not to wait.
    That is exactly how I feel hey. If I had of started 6 months ago my hair would look so much better. Even if my existing hairs thicken up it will look alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by StayThick View Post
    I personally think trying Propecia at 20/21 is too young..I say this because we don't know what sort of impact, if any, that can have on growth and other developmental areas.

I mean I was still growing at 23 height and bone density wise towards end of college and I couldn't fathom taken this drug during that period because I didn't know what kind of impact that could have on my development and still growing body..

That being said, I am a strong anti-Propecia guy on this forum but I would never steer anyone from trying this drug. I just state my experience and mindset when I was your age. It's important for everyone to gather information and make their own decisions, like I did when I started and ultimately quit.

If you try it, like others, I'd recommend starting at .25mg or something small. That's my only regret when I started because I followed what Merck and my Derm stated (1mg) and had disturbing sides.

In any case, kudos for being active and wanting to find a solution for your hairloss. I hope Propecia safely works for you if you decide to go that route. Sometimes less is more..remember that.
    I've taken this into consideration and it has been the key reason why I didn't start when I first accepted that my hairloss was happening two years ago. I will be careful with it.

Uh, no. There is little or no reason to believe that finasteride will hurt or impede bone growth and development, especially at your age. And no, age 20 is not too young to take it, it has been tested as safe on men over age 18. This is not a matter of opinion.