+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nizoral and/or shampoo treatment

Hi,

I'm currently using horse shampoo and conditioner and both bottles are about to run out. I know those are meant for thickening hair but are not really for hair loss, so I'd really like to switch to something that might be effective in preventing hair loss. I heard Nizoral is good but I also hears that it's been discontinued? I could really use some good advice on the subject. Which kind of shampoo is good for hair regrowth of even just preventative measures.

I'm also taking finasteride but that's pretty much it. Been taking it for years and I wonder how effective it really is. Maybe it's slowing down the hair loss but it's definitely not stopping it and I'm starting to get desperate for other treatments that don't have crazy sides.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningHope View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently using horse shampoo and conditioner and both bottles are about to run out. I know those are meant for thickening hair but are not really for hair loss, so I'd really like to switch to something that might be effective in preventing hair loss. I heard Nizoral is good but I also hears that it's been discontinued? I could really use some good advice on the subject. Which kind of shampoo is good for hair regrowth of even just preventative measures.

I'm also taking finasteride but that's pretty much it. Been taking it for years and I wonder how effective it really is. Maybe it's slowing down the hair loss but it's definitely not stopping it and I'm starting to get desperate for other treatments that don't have crazy sides.
    You can get rx 2% Nizoral shampoo. It is the 1% stuff that always seems to be running in short supply.

If fin alone is not maintaining your hair, I would be surprised if adding Nizoral would be enough. Consider dutasteride.

Thank you. Can you elaborate on dutasteride at all. I've heard about it but really don't know much. Any bad sides or anything I should be aware of?

well DUT is FIN on roids. If you are experiencing sides on FIN then they will be worsened on DUT.

"1) Dutasteride is intrinsically more potent than finasteride, due to differences in the chemical structures of the two molecules. If I remember correctly, dutasteride is about three times more potent at inhibiting 5a-reductase, even if you're comparing exactly the same levels of the drugs in the bloodstream.

2) And this is probably the most important difference: even when you take equal doses of them, dutasteride builds-up in the bloodstream to a much greater extent than finasteride, because it's eliminated much more slowly. Dutasteride is a more efficient drug to take orally, because less of it is being wasted by being metabolized and excreted from the body. "

I recommend not going on DUT since you need DHT in your body. Please do your research and make a informed decision. You might be lucky and not have any sides or be unlucky and have permanent sides.

I keep using Nizoral and Minox. Also, keep using FIN if you are not getting sides. Also look into some ANTI-ANDROGEN suchs as RU58841 and CB0301. Both are not FDA approved for hair loss, but some users have had promising results.

I think the rate of side effects was similar to fin in clinical trials. I could see how the sides would be more intense with dut though.

I have been on it since February. Too early to know how well it can work for me, but I wish I started sooner. I probably could have regained some hair that is now too long gone to recover

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningHope View Post
    Hi,

Baseline photos? Current photos?

I have a feeling you don't have baseline photos.

I don't have any pictures but I can snap some soon and post them here

Here are some pics of my hair. I had just gotten out of the shower and dried my hair a little, but it's still wet in these. I'm sure there's a less obtrusive way to display these so if anybody wants to tell me what that is feel free.

And these are after I use Xfusion/Toppik keratin hair fiber powder. I don't know what I'd do without this stuff.

What about baseline?

In any case, try RU.

Not sure what you mean by baseline. Is this what you're looking for? (wet hair)

And here's another after my "beauty regimen" for reference

Those are painful for me to look at

What is RU? I'm not very active here or in any kind of community like this, so I'm not up to date on all the lingo.