+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default just had FUE done with ARTAS

Well today is day 4 after my FUE done with the ARTAS Robot. It went really really well on the first day I was a bit loopy and tired but very little pain at all I was very very comfortable. I had about 2000 grafts done with Dr Yates. The team were all wonderful and caring of my needs. As of yesterday I had no need for pain medications, still taking my antibiotic for today and one more day of prednisone for swelling. So happy I am looking more like myself, aside from my short hair. They do have to shave the doner area for this version so the robot can work properly so I sorta look like Bert from sesame street so hats and bandanas for going back to work. I think its important to share what this is like as I had no idea going into it. I really did not want to know I was very afraid of shots in my scalp well it doesn't hurt at all just a small stick thats it. The extraction process was nothing I think I fell asleep during that as time flew by. I was very interested in how everything got placed so I had lots of questions during that part they put the front hairs in 1 by 1 then more behind those. My scalp sorta feels like if you get a goose egg bump its fine but if you touch it it is sore but that really is the only discomfort. I did get some large dressing pads to place on the back doner area for sleeping to help with the oozing which as of last night was very minimal so I am healing very fast..one of the perks of the ARTAS. Cannot wait for the replanted hairs to start growing I am estimating by Christmas time it should be coming in very nicely and looking like my old self. I will add more later

Wow -- congrats. Hopefully it grows nicely.

Do you know if your doc used the 1.0mm or the 0.9mm punch with his/her ARTAS setup?

I think I heard 0.9 wondering why your asking as there is hardly any difference it was done on Thursday everything is all closed and healing nicely already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I think I heard 0.9 wondering why your asking as there is hardly any difference it was done on Thursday everything is all closed and healing nicely already.
    There's a pretty big difference -- a 0.9mm punch damages/removes 20% less scalp than the 1.0mm punch. 20% is nothing to sneeze at.

Great to hear that it's already healing up nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Just enjoy the fact that everything has gone well and that you're already healing up nicely. You'll be confronted with many opinions on this forum, some come out of legitimate concern and some are just opinions based on stuff that has been discussed on these forums.

You are the only one who has to be happy with your choice and outcome. Keep us posted on your progress and happy growing!

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    You'll be confronted with many opinions on this forum
    I apologize -- I didn't mean to come off as "having an opinion". I was just curious about whether Doctors had started to standardize on the 0.9mm punch when using ARTAS.

Personally, I think you did the right thing going for robotic FUE (regardless of punch size) and I'm sure that the results will be outstanding!

Happy growing!

Quote Originally Posted by William Yates, MD View Post
    The punch on the ARTAS is 1.2mm. As you know there are 2 punches. The first scores the skin and the other actually cores the hair. I usually use a .9mm punch for my fue, and after 2-3 months, I not can visually tell the difference in the artas punches and the smaller fue punches. We will of course forward photos, allowing you to make you own conclusion.
    Thanks Doctor!

Can you share the kind of yield and transection rates you're seeing with the ARTAS?

Default day 6

So this morning is day 6, feeling more and more like myself..not a lot of pain at all pleasantly surprised, not having anything to compare too but I have heard the strip method is quite painful. I would say my scalp feels just a bit bruised and like a slight sunburn..bruise in the back and sunburn on top. The graft area appears to be healed already but is just a bit sensitive and the back is almost done healing just feels a bit bruised and the feeling is returning to normal. Yesterday was my first day back at work it went really well. Everyone was curious about it so that was my talk all day. Cannot wait for tomorrow as I can shampoo my hair normally I am ready to be back on track with normal life. I am just amazed how fast recovery is and how fast everything heals. I am so pleased I decided to have this method done. Stopped in at the Dr. office the other day for a light therapy treatment. They all were impressed at the healing too. Will post pics as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Default Day 12

Today is day 12 all scabs have fallen off and surprisingly have very little shock hair loss. The healing is nearly completed just a couple tender spots here and there. I decided to cut the longer hair on top a bit shorter to start matching up with where it was shaved for the artas. Not bad if I do say after not even 2 weeks I am not feeling the need to where a cap everyplace probably will at work Pugh as I am a hairstylist if I had any other job it would be totally acceptable and normal looking . I am so grateful I had this method done i spoke with someone this weekend who had a very old transplant and their scar went from ear to ear across the middle of their head in the back seemed so barbaric to me as we chatted about mine they wished this method would have been available at the time they had theirs although happy with the result it was painful and took a long time to heal.

Glad you are doing so well. I was wondering how the donor sites look? Can you see evidence that work was done in the donor sites? Also, can you please let us know why you chose the robotic FUE rather than Dr. Yates doing the extractions? Thanks in advance!