+ Reply to Thread

Default Really need your advice and thoughts

Hi,

I've recently (the last 1-2 years) noticed that my hair has been receding and becoming much thinner on top compared to the sides and back (especially the back).

You can see a clear recession on the images but the images show my hair to look thicker than it actually is. My crown has also thinned too (still coverage however). I'd love to have the hairline that I've photoshopped in the 3rd image.

What would you guys recommend I do?

I'm 30 now but would ideally like to keep the hair I have and maybe consider a hair transplant further down the line.

Would it be sensible of me to take Finasteride for a year or so and see if my recession stabilizes then maybe consider a transplant?

I'm new to this forum and would really appreciate your opinions and comments.

Thanks in advance to anybody who contributes.

Last edited by gingerlocks; 07-10-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Anybody have any thoughts??

Yeah I would start on big three -propecia, minox, and nizoral but do your reasearch on propecia sides. Also you can try cb 03 01 or other aa if you dont want to deal with propecia. Just do the research. I think you might be a good candidate for FUE as of hair transplant.

Thanks for the reply :-) Excuse my naivety but what is 'cb 03 01' and 'aa'.

Also, what makes you say that I'd be a good candidate for FUE rather than FUT?

FUE is more expensive isn't it?

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to educate myself as much as I can before I make decisions.

It's not even obvious that you have MPB, so I dont' know that you should get on propecia yet...

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    It's not even obvious that you have MPB, so I dont' know that you should get on propecia yet...
    Hey, thanks for your comment.

To be honest I think those images make my hair look slightly better than it actually is.

When I read about finasteride it usually says that it is most effective in the early stages of MPB. Would it not make sense to start now before things get worse?

'Prevention better than the cure'

Here's an alternative angle - maybe this shows a more accurate condition of my hair.

I'd like to bring the temples forwards slightly (as in the photoshopped 3rd image) but I'm afraid that the recession may continue beyond the transplant.

I'm just trying to get as much information and advice as I can before I make any decisions.

Double Post

what is 'cb 03 01' and 'aa'.

CB is AA(antiandrogen), antiandrogen can be applied topically on the area that you are experiencing hair loss on. It is not FDA approved but is currently in testing. Finasteride is a systematically DHT blocker while CB and RU are topical DHT/ T blockers with less systematic sides. Although finasteride has more research and is approved for hair loss, while CB and RU are not FDA approved. Do your research and make a informed decision.

Also, what makes you say that I'd be a good candidate for FUE rather than FUT?

FUE is more expensive, but you don't end up with the FUT scar. I said FUE because it doesn't seem like you need a big transplant. I would assume around 1500 grafts should do the trick. If money is not a object i recommend checking out Dr. Cole FUE donor regeneration. Although you can FUT too depending on if you need more grafts. Sorry maybe other members who know more about this can assist you.

FUE is more expensive isn't it?

Yes, FUE is typically more expensive. Also, has lower yield compared to FUT, but you have the option of having a shaved head down the road compared to FUT. For FUT, i would recommend Hasson and Wong. Their transplant seemed good, but don't take my word. Look around there are also other gifted surgeons which may cost less.

Sorry for all the questions - I just want to educate myself as much as I can before I make decisions

Hope this help. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I'd see a dermatologist and have them map your miniaturization and hopefully get your pattern figured out. If they think you would benefit from finasteride, I would educate myself on and start treatment at your earliest convenience.

Your hair looks pretty good for a 30 year old man, but I understand how unsettling the recession and thinning can be.

I will add that i like your hairstyle choice, and think it works well with your hair as it currently stands.

Best.