+ Reply to Thread

Default How would I go about acquiring Finasteride?

Hi guys. I posted a few times a year ago when I first noticed my hair loss, and having watched my hair (slowly) deteriorate over the last twelve months, I have decided that the time is right to begin taking Finasteride. I have already been using small amounts of Minoxidil on my hairline, and infrequently using Nizoral shampoo, but I was waiting for definite confirmation that I was balding before I jumped on Fin.

I have a few questions regarding the actual process of getting prescribed Finasteride (in the UK). As someone who just finished university, money is not exactly abundant currently, and I would rather avoid paying for a Propecia prescription, and so was considering Proscar. Are doctors generally happy to prescribe Proscar for hair loss, on the assumption that you will cut it into fifths yourself? Is it as straight-forward as that? Or will they likely not be willing to prescribe any hair loss drug other than Propecia?

Secondly, will the Doctor automatically prescribe me some form of Finasteride if I ask for it, or is it common for Doctors with a basic grasp of hair loss to dismiss prescribing such a 'heavy' drug to someone who doesn't yet have any significant signs of balding? My balding is at a stage where it would appear very hidden to the average person but I imagine most people here could see the beginnings of it. Therefore I was slightly concerned that the doctor will just dismiss me as paranoid, and tell me to wait a few years.

Any general advice for being able to get Proscar (or an equivalent recommended generic brand) as quickly and painlessly as possible would be appreciated.

Edit: By doctor I mean my local GP.

Good luck getting proscar. I practically had to force my doctor to write me a prescription for propecia. I plan on ordering proscar or the generic equivalent from inhousepharmacy within the next couple of days. People around here seem to have had good luck with them. Hopefully my experience is the same. Not sure how much propecia is in the UK, but in the US, generic finasteride is costing me 67.99.

The doctors in UK are highly unlikely to prescribe you propecia, let alone prescribe proscar. As far as I know, proscar isn't approved for hair loss, so they definitely won't prescribe you that. Most of the doctors don't even know much about hairloss .. if you find a doctor that knows quite a bit about hair loss then he might prescribe you propecia, or get some online consultation.

You can buy fincar from inhouse pharamacy at a cheap price around 22.5 euros ( about £20 ). Split each pill into 4 ( 1.25mg ) and you have 4 months supply.

Contact Spex. He does the UK radio show with Spencer. He will point you in the right direction. Here is his ink to contact him. http://spexhair.com/contact/

Is it really *that* hard to get fin in the UK?

If you're in the Uk you can get a years supply from here for around £200 and you don't need a prescription from your GP. I bought mine from here in March, it's a trustworthy site, Spex will testify to that.

http://ukfinasteride.info/prescriptions/faq.php