+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Considering the cost, and the fact the patient was on avodart and rogaine, it doesn't seem to add to much to the arsenal of a young guy with aggressive hairloss. The fact there were at least considerable positive results is encouraging though. I personally would love to see it's effectiveness without fin/minox, because the fact that it gave a long time sufferer (who has aggressive loss), cosmetically significant results, is encouraging. But again, the cost, and the fact that we haven't gauged its effectiveness as a true stand alone treatment, is unfortunate.

In all honestly the pictures do suck, but people don't have to be so hostile to make their point. It's clear that the guy in the video is pleased, why try to bring him down?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Considering the cost, and the fact the patient was on avodart and rogaine, it doesn't seem to add to much to the arsenal of a young guy with aggressive hairloss. The fact there were at least considerable positive results is encouraging though. I personally would love to see it's effectiveness without fin/minox, because the fact that it gave a long time sufferer (who has aggressive loss), cosmetically significant results, is encouraging. But again, the cost, and the fact that we haven't gauged its effectiveness as a true stand alone treatment, is unfortunate.
    Our Patient has used Rogaine for many years. He began using Avodart in 2003. He didn't notice a significant increase in his hair shaft diameter before he began with the ACell / PRP treatments in 2010.

To me it's not hard to imagine an 18 year old who is beginning to show MPB thinning to "go back in time" 4 years with PRP / ACell treatments. Imagine regular treatments providing a gradual improvement over time rather having things go all to hell in the opposite direction to Norwood 5 or 6 by age 30. Perhaps this is overly optimistic, but knowing Dr. Cole, he is going to continue to improve these treatments.

Look on the bright side, when I was a teenager, there was absolutely no hope for young men with hair loss. I still recall the sinking feeling. Rogaine wasn't even available.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    In all honestly the pictures do suck, but people don't have to be so hostile to make their point. It's clear that the guy in the video is pleased, why try to bring him down?
    I agree, I didn't mean to come across as hostile so I apologise, I've just had a really bad few days dealing with hair loss and honestly I'm just sick to death of staring at before/after pics, researching treatments and being dragged down with all of the disagreements, misinformation and confusion within this industry. I'm 23 and I dread to think how many countless hours of my life I have spent looking for answers, only to be disappointed :/

Quote Originally Posted by PayDay View Post
    Honestly, the photos are excellent. The video is in 720p. By default, You Tube shows videos at a low resolution. By setting the video to 720p hi-def and hitting the fullscreen button, the photos are very clear on a reasonably decent computer and monitor.

I heard complaints about how the hair is combed. At high resolution the hairs can CLEARLY be seen exiting from the scalp and the shafts can clearly be seen to be thicker.

Please look at the attached image and follow the instructions on the image. Watch the video again at 720p set to full screen. It is obviously clear that there is improvement in hair shaft diameter. The hair shafts are NOT concealed where they exit the scalp.

Take a look again with the proper settings. VIDEO

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	adjust-fullscreen.jpg

Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	21857  
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 09:38 AM.

There are no studies or efficient evidence that PRP has any positive impact on hair.

PRP has been available for many years in other applications. The application of hair is still relatively new with more and more doctors no longer even offering the procedure. That alone speaks volumes.

I, myself had it done 6 months ago. I can't say it did much of anything, not even maintenance. For $1k, it's not worth me trying it again. For those that wish to try it, by all means. I was desperate for anything to work so I had it done.

I don't regret it, but for those looking for regrowth or for that "home run" treatment... This is not for you. Save your money.

Chuck,

You seem to be avoiding the question as to the efficacy of PRP + Acell in general. It's nice to have an example, but one case study is insufficient to make a judgment. For all we know, Viper may be only one out of a hundred patients who saw improvement. Or his result could be typical. We just don't know with the limited information you are providing.

The fact that you won't given any indication as to what percentage of Dr. Cole's patients achieve success with PRP + Acell is troubling. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

StayThick, can you tell us any more information about your procedure. Did it involve both PRP + Acell?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimist View Post
    Chuck,

You seem to be avoiding the question as to the efficacy of PRP + Acell in general. It's nice to have an example, but one case study is insufficient to make a judgment.
    +1
    10 char

Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimist View Post
    Chuck,

You seem to be avoiding the question as to the efficacy of PRP + Acell in general. It's nice to have an example, but one case study is insufficient to make a judgment. For all we know, Viper may be only one out of a hundred patients who saw improvement. Or his result could be typical. We just don't know with the limited information you are providing.

The fact that you won't given any indication as to what percentage of Dr. Cole's patients achieve success with PRP + Acell is troubling. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Dr. Cole began using ACell because it's an FDA approved regenerative product that improves the appearance of FUE donor extraction sites. It reduces hypopigmentation and improves blood vessel formation. We are also seeing on average around 50% follicle regeneration in the donor areas where ACell is used. I believe Dr. Cole began using PRP to improve healing.

I got an email on Saturday from a patient who just had beard hair extractions. He said the extraction sites disappeared after 4 days, and healing was much quicker than his experience with previous surgeries where ACell and PRP were not used.

Dr. Cole recently received an invitation to participate in a PRP study. Even the doctor to doctor hair transplant publication we receive, recently commented on the lack of PRP studies. There really aren't any formal studies that I'm aware of. Should there be? Of course. I was excited about our patient's improvement. He is excited. It worked for him and we will do our best to determine how to make these treatments as effective as possible.

Of course it needs to be determined which PRP formulation is most effective. Dr. Cole uses the Angel system that allows for many variations in the concentration. Also, how effective is PRP without ACell? Any study needs to be standardized. Do Avodart and Rogaine enhance the effects? These are questions that need to be answered.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 09:39 AM.