+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default im a 19 year old guy with female pattern baldness, does it have the same cause?

hi
    Just a warning, this is going to be a long post, but i want to make sure i cover everything i can.

Im 19 and my hair started thinning when i was around 16, but my hairloss follows a more diffuse thinning female pattern like the ludwig scale for female hair loss. My crown never had a bald spot and my hairline is maybe slightly receded but otherwise intact. It started with my hair part becoming wider and more noticeable with time and it slowly spread across to my temples leaving no bald spots, but thin frizzy hair and a visible scalp over the area of loss.

Im pretty sure i inherited this from my mothers side. My dad has standard mpb in his family, but he seems to be the lucky sibling. I think hes starting to show signs of mild hair loss, but for 48 he has very thick hair. My maternal grandma and mother both have very thin hair all over their heads. The sides and temples are thinned out, but the back portion of both of their scalps is still full and unaffected, and they both saud they lost it in a pattern, not all at once. Ive read about diffuse thinning and DPA (diffuse pattern alopecia) vs DUPA (diffuse unpatterned alopecia) and was wondering what would cause only the sides to thin but not the back? Is my understanding that the whole horseshoe pattern or donor area is dht resistant, except in the case of DUPA where the entire scalp is affected. Since they both lost it in a spreading pattern and the back portion is unaffected, im assuming they both suffer from DPA, but thatbdoesnt explain why the sides of their head were affected?

Ive been taking finasteride for nearly 5 months and while its too early to tell, i think im having some success, my hair has stopped shedding and i think ive had some minor regrowth. the problem is that there isnt alot of information online that i can find about my particular pattern of hair loss, so theres alot i dont really know. Is it normal for some men to lose hair in a female thinning type of pattern? Is it caused by the same factors of the norwood style MPB? Are treatments more or less effective in any way? Can it be treated with finasteride? Would i make a bad hair transplant candidate in the future? And since im male do you think my final hair pattern will be different since it came from females in my family?

Thanks, hope you guys can help. Ill post pics in a moment

Current pic of hair pulled back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	21847  

Current, parted down middle

Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	21848  

current hairline
    Sorry cant figue out how to post multiple pics

Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	21849  

Parted before fin

Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	21850  

Another old pic, probably 6 months ago

Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	21851  

Another post vs pre propecia, not sure if its thicker or just longer

Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	21853  

Last one i promise, pulled back and hairline 5-6 months ago, i think my hair has improved but my hairline seems thinner.

So does anyone know anything about this type of hair loss in men? Widening hair part with diffuse thinning? Also like i said my other female relatives lost hair on the sides of their head as well, but not the back, in a progressing pattern. Their entire heads except for a rectangular patch on the back near their necks are thin but not slick bald anywhere.

Thank you very much and sorry for the picture spam

Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	21854  

Okay one more pic that i just took now to try and show the thinning hair part right down the middle. How common is this in males?

Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	21855  

It's not the most common pattern but I think what you call female pattern is just diffuse thinning which can vary from person to person and does not always fit the Norwood scale. It's a bit weird to judge since you're keeping your hair quite long. But I reckon sooner or later your front is gonna get affected as well.

Edit: still having doubts though, does your hair fall out in lumps or was it a more graduate progress?