+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Think I have MPB

Not sure what this is.

Background info is that I have Crohn's disease and take some medication that does(can) cause hairloss. Now I'm pretty sure this medicine does cause thinning for me, because I was off it for 6 months 2 years ago and I remember my hair being thicker, however, I still think I have some MPB as well because while my hair has thinned all over my head, the top and sides seem way worse than the very bottom of my head (The top to middle of back of head is also thin, its just maybe the last 1"-2" that is thick(er)).

This is in the sun (evening) on the beach with a sunburned scalp

This is with my hairline wet so it was easier to show hairline. I honestly don't think its bad at all which has me confused about MPB since it hasn't moved since May of 2009 when I was 18 (I can judge by old pictures and using that freckle)

Here is my hairline again

Would rogaine help me? Is this even MPB?

Anyone? Like I said I know the hairline isn't bad, but the thinning on top is very. Put me under any light and you can see lines of scalp. I have to make my hair go \ or / in direction because a straight lay from front to back will make the scalp lines much more visible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prestige View Post
    Anyone? Like I said I know the hairline isn't bad, but the thinning on top is very. Put me under any light and you can see lines of scalp. I have to make my hair go \ or / in direction because a straight lay from front to back will make the scalp lines much more visible.
    Doesn't really look like typical MPB. The place you're mainly thinning at is usually the last place to go ontop. You sure it's not just the meds?

Possible though ofcourse. Some people just have weird patterns.
    Ask a doctor.

I disagree, for many men (like me), thinning starts on top, and the hairline goes. Do you have a strong family history?

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    I disagree, for many men (like me), thinning starts on top, and the hairline goes. Do you have a strong family history?
    Nope, everyone has full heads of hair. Cousins, uncles, grandpas, father, etc... In fact the baldest person I know is my mother who has severe thinning, but she is also 60.

I'm fairly certain it's MPB as well. I'm a diffuse thinner myself and with me it started at the middle sides and worked itself towards the center. I only made the discovery as well during the summer when I suddenly noticed my head was burned and I could see my scalp below the thick hairs on top.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7527

Yours also reminds me of Exodus's hairloss.

Has it been a gradual progression btw where you didn't actually noticed hairs falling out but did notice the hair becoming thinner when combing it, or has your hair been falling out in plucks in a short period? The first one probably means you're unlucky.^^

It is a bit thin, but the scalp also looks inflamed. Could def. be the medication. I think there is a tendency to dismiss all hairloss in males as MPB. Worth a trip to the doc.

FYI - my 36 yo cousin also has Crohn's and he just started on meds about 6 months ago. He has since developed a bald patch just behind the front-center hairline. Would def. look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by WR1981 View Post
    It is a bit thin, but the scalp also looks inflamed. Could def. be the medication. I think there is a tendency to dismiss all hairloss in males as MPB. Worth a trip to the doc.

FYI - my 36 yo cousin also has Crohn's and he just started on meds about 6 months ago. He has since developed a bald patch just behind the front-center hairline. Would def. look into this.
    Here is some more info:
    • From 2006-2011 I was on Crohn's medicine
    • 2011 I was off medicine
    • 2012 got back on medicine

September 2009 (on crohn's medicine)

June 2010 (on crohn's medicine)

September 2011 (off crohn's medicine)

December 2011 (off crohn's medicine)

July 2013 (on crohn's medicine)

To me it appears 2011 off medicine made my hair thicker, so I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Your medication can certainly be the culprit. It happens often especially if you're taking steroids for your condition.

No, you have a full head of hair. Simple as that.