+ Reply to Thread

Default Excited to start doing something about my hair

I posted here about a year ago when I noticed my hairline was starting to recede a little bit and I let things run their course because I was 16 at the time. I am 17 now and turning 18 in September and I have noticed my hair has gotten a little bit thinner and my hairline has thinned out a little bit more too these days. I am seeing my dermatologist in August (it was the earliest they had an appointment) to talk about what exactly I should take and if she needs to prescribe anything. I have read a little bit about Proscar being the cheaper alternative then cutting it up into fifths or something and Nizoral Shampoo which I will order soon. What should I know about taking these two things and is there anything else you think I should know before starting treatment? I'm happy knowing that I'm doing something about it now and not just sitting around

Quote Originally Posted by thatstrangekid View Post
    I posted here about a year ago when I noticed my hairline was starting to recede a little bit and I let things run their course because I was 16 at the time. I am 17 now and turning 18 in September and I have noticed my hair has gotten a little bit thinner and my hairline has thinned out a little bit more too these days. I am seeing my dermatologist in August (it was the earliest they had an appointment) to talk about what exactly I should take and if she needs to prescribe anything. I have read a little bit about Proscar being the cheaper alternative then cutting it up into fifths or something and Nizoral Shampoo which I will order soon. What should I know about taking these two things and is there anything else you think I should know before starting treatment? I'm happy knowing that I'm doing something about it now and not just sitting around
    Just be diligent and use them as prescribed. You may encounter an initial shed and potential shedding throughout treatment, but don't let that deter you from staying the course.

You should be excited about starting treatment. It's a big step and you will hopefully buy yourself some time with hair.

One last thing I would offer is to not over-think it, but remain observant. It's pretty common to encounter some minor and often temporary side effects, most common would be prostate ache (in my opinion). Again, just stay the course and focus on the rest of life.

Take pictures regularly to gauge your success with the treatment.

Good luck.

I had this same prostate ache for about a week. No other sides besides that. Hopefully you have the same "luck".

The most important thing to remember is that finasteride is there to stop or slow hair loss down, not regrowth! If you remember that you will do great.