X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 35YrsAfter
    Doctor Representative
    • Aug 2012

The Effectiveness of Stand Alone ACell and PRP Treatment

At Dr. Cole's office we use the HairCheck system to determine hair caliber and density. HairCheck also helps us measure the effectiveness of treatments over time. Our recent patient came to us for hairline repair several years ago. Years before that he had another hair restoration physician plant plugs on his hairline which of course provided a cosmetically unacceptable appearance. Once per year since 2011 our patient has had stand alone ACell and PRP treatments. A few days ago he had another treatment and we compared his HairCheck numbers. We measured 5 areas in 2012 and compared the Hair Mass Index we took then to his numbers taken on 07-02-2013. As a point of reference, the first measurement begins at 8cm above the Glabella which is the smooth area between the eyebrows just above the nose.
    The numbers are as follows:

08-15-2012
    Area 08 - Hair Mass Index - 31
    Area 12 - Hair Mass Index - 21
    Area 18 - Hair Mass Index - 12
    Area 24 - Hair Mass Index - 28
    Area 33 - Hair Mass Index - 53

07-02-2013
    Area 08 - Hair Mass Index - 62
    Area 12 - Hair Mass Index - 32
    Area 18 - Hair Mass Index - 38
    Area 24 - Hair Mass Index - 43
    Area 33 - Hair Mass Index - 64

Our patient did not have any grafts placed in his crown area. These results are encouraging but of course don't represent a formal study. There are studies currently underway designed to determine the effectiveness of PRP hair loss treatments. We will post more results as they become available. I do have comparison photos of this patient and a closeup view of the crown does show a visible improvement in hair shaft diameter. I also recorded a short video where our patient gives his impression of stand alone ACell and PRP treatments. Today is the 4th of July. I will post the photos and video on Friday.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015, 01:00 PM.
  • Dan26
    • Jul 2012

Is the patient on any other treatment ie finasteride?

Comment

• 0ptimist
      • Mar 2013

Thanks for posting Chuck. PRP + Acell is an interesting treatment, but right now there is not enough information regarding its efficacy for a hairloss sufferer to determine if it is worth the money. Many doctors are now offering the treatment, but it is curious that there are so few before and after pictures showing any appreciable improvement.

I am grateful for Dr. Cole's efforts to remedy this problem and look forward to seeing before and after pictures of PRP + Acell as a stand alone treatment.

Comment

• ljpviper
        • Jun 2011

Hey Chuck,

I am back home already it was a pleasure meeting you on Tuesday. I will be happy to answer any questions to other forum members.

To the other poster been on avodart since 03, and proscar before that. I would say the prp/accel treatments have definitely helped in my case, again not everyone responds the same. I am not here to sell prp/acell just to give my honest opinion.

What was quite surprising is the hair counts and the photo comparisons. I am just trying to hold on to the hair I have till hair regeneration becomes a reality.

Thanks

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
          Doctor Representative
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Dan26
          Is the patient on any other treatment ie finasteride?
          Dan26:
          I shot a video and should be able to post it on Friday. In the video, our patient gives an overview of the hair loss medication he has taken and is taking.

I would personally like to give ACell/PRP a try. Our cost of the products used in these treatments is high. I would like to try microneedling (dermaroller) treatments with ACell and PRP to see how my scarring improves.

I am one of those men who got the baldness gene from both sides of my family. My father's father had a full head of hair but my father was a Norwood 6. My mother's father died at 47, but was at least a Norwood 5. I believe that some men's scalps are resistant to hair growth. Mine seems to be. My transplanted scalp hair has faded over the years by around 70%. I want to see how effective ACell/PRP is in improving the condition of the scalp and the growth of transplanted hair on resistant heads.

Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Dan26
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by 35YrsAfter
            Dan26:
            I shot a video and should be able to post it on Friday. In the video, our patient gives an overview of the hair loss medication he has taken and is taking.

I would personally like to give ACell/PRP a try. Our cost of the products used in these treatments is high. I would like to try microneedling (dermaroller) treatments with ACell and PRP to see how my scarring improves.

I am one of those men who got the baldness gene from both sides of my family. My father's father had a full head of hair but my father was a Norwood 6. My mother's father died at 47, but was at least a Norwood 5. I believe that some men's scalps are resistant to hair growth. Mine seems to be. My transplanted scalp hair has faded over the years by around 70%. I want to see how effective ACell/PRP is in improving the condition of the scalp and the growth of transplanted hair on resistant heads.

My genes are as bad as your man lol

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
              Doctor Representative
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ljpviper
              Hey Chuck,

I am back home already it was a pleasure meeting you on Tuesday. I will be happy to answer any questions to other forum members.

To the other poster been on avodart since 03, and proscar before that. I would say the prp/accel treatments have definitely helped in my case, again not everyone responds the same. I am not here to sell prp/acell just to give my honest opinion.

What was quite surprising is the hair counts and the photo comparisons. I am just trying to hold on to the hair I have till hair regeneration becomes a reality.

Thanks
              ljpviper:

It was great meeting you as well. It's very encouraging that you are responding so well to stand-alone ACell / PRP treatments. Some men can lose a considerable amount of hair in 6 years. Male pattern baldness nearly always gets progressively worse. You have not only been able to halt hair miniaturization, but you have been able to show an improvement in hair shaft diameter over a 6 year period.

I'm looking forward to having this treatment myself. It would be great to see my donor area thicken up.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
              Attached Files
              Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                Doctor Representative
                • Aug 2012

This closeup shows the improvement in hair shaft diameter better.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
                Cole Hair Transplant
                1045 Powers Place
                Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
                Phone 678-566-1011
                Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-22-2015, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• 0ptimist
                  • Mar 2013

Chuck, can you confirm that this patient did not use any other treatments between the dates of those two pictures? For example, did the patient use Propecia or Rogaine?

Thanks.

Comment

• ljpviper
                    • Jun 2011

Optimist,

I am the patient, no have been on avodart since 03 and have always used rogaine. I will tell you for some reason the second treatment in 2012 worked better than the one in 2011. I would still have to wear some concealer after the first treatment in 2011. The one in 2012 I stopped wearing any concealer on th e crown.

I asked chuck and dr cole and they stated the keep advancing the prp/acell delivery method, so maybe that's why. I was very surprised to see my photos taken in 07, I did not realize how bad the crown looked. It a big improvement six years later.

Thanks

Comment

• 35YrsAfter
                      Doctor Representative
                      • Aug 2012

Here is the video. It was shot in 720p hi-def. Please set the quality to hi-def and hit the "full screen" button on the lower right. The video is very sharp and you can more easily compare the hair shaft diameters when the video is set to maximum quality and size.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office.
                      chuck@forhair.com
                      www.forhair.com

Comment

• 0ptimist
                        • Mar 2013

Thanks for the response Viper. Congrats on the excellent result. The post-op picture looks pretty messy. Can you give us any insight on the healing process?

Also, how long after each procedure did it take before you noted a significant cosmetic effect?

I appreciate you discussing your case on this forum. Most people disappear after they get good results without giving feedback.

Comment

• 0ptimist
                          • Mar 2013

Chuck,

It's good to see this documentation. Other than a video done by Dr. Cooley, I don't know of any other studies showing a significant cosmetic improvement with Acell + PRP as a stand alone treatment.

Can you give us any indication as to how typical Viper's results are? Is this a procedure your office performs often? And if so, do you have a rough estimate as to what percentage of your patients get a results like Viper's, or any significant cosmetic improvement?

Thanks.

Comment

• ljpviper
                            • Jun 2011

Optimist,

The procedure takes like total maybe two hours. The numbing of the area is a little painful, but not too bad. I washed my hair two days after and my scalp is still a little sore still, nothing major.

I noticed an improvement 2-3 weeks after. My hair is normally brown, it turns very dark brown,almost black. The diameter of the hair shafts increase in the same time frame. I would say month 1 to month 8 are the best in hair quality.

After month 8 it seems to lose some color and thickness. As stated the procedure in 2012 worked better than 2011. I told chuck I may be in the Atlanta area in the next few months. I will stop by the office so they can take some photos.

Comment

• ljpviper
                              • Jun 2011

Here are some pics on my own from the treatment 2 weeks ago. My hair looks great.

You can post some old photos. I tried the best I can holding the camera. The camera was in my bathroom inches away from my head with full light.

I am very happy with the current results
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...