+ Reply to Thread

Default Anyone had this side effect of DHT reduction?

So I have been using the Kératene shampoo classic edition for around a month now. If anyone hasn't heard of this it's a hair loss shampoo containing phytosterol complexes as well as beta sitosterol. There is a thread on BTT about these Kératene products in specific but I figured i'd post a general thread. Anyway, the shampoo is intended to block testosterone to DHT conversion directly at the scalp and I believe it is effective based on my side effects.

Since I've been using it I have noticed that I have had considerably less sensation during orgasms (I'm a male by the way). I do not have any less libido or problems obtaining an erection whatsoever however it is when the moment comes that I just really don't feel much. It is somewhat disappointing as I feel perfectly normal up until that point but when I'm ready for the "finale" it just isn't very intense and there isn't much sensation. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced side effects like this from drugs meant to reduce DHT. If anyone has used beta sitosterol and had sides like this, the effects would probably be comparable as the Kératene shampoo contains that ingredient. I am really confused because I used finasteride and had sides but it was just harder to acheive and erection and loss of libido, never just flat out loss of orgasm sensation. Sorry to be graphic but this is concerning to me and I'd like to know if anyone has had this side effect as well.

Never experienced it myself, but some quick googling lists "hormonal" as a common cause of weak orgasms. Do you know if beta sitosterol is absorbed systemically though? If it only affects your scalp then it might not be the culprit. did it start at the same time you started using the shampoo?
    Anyway my non professional advice would be to keep using it and see if the problem fixes itself. If not try lower concentrations of active ingredients or using it less frequently or something. Sorry to hear youre dealing with this man

There is no way that those products used in a shampoo could systemically lower your DHT enough to give you those side effects.

Well according to the product information and the responses I've gotten from emailing the company, what sets the shampoo apart from other similar topicals is its vehicle's ability to penetrate the scalp enough to make the active ingredients effective. It uses beta sitosterol but also includes other, nonspecified sterol complexes as well as organic anti-inflammatory flavonoids, so I can't really be sure what the culprit could be.

I tend to think it isn't actually reducing DHT systemically but perhaps stopping its conversion in my scalp, as well as the prostate as I am fine in all other aspects regarding DHT levels. I have heard that prostate issues could be one cause of reduced orgasm sensation. It is very confusing because I wasn't even expecting the product to really do anything as it is just a low concentration shampoo, I just figured I'd give it a try. I've waited for a little over a month to see if it is just a passing side effect but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    Well according to the product information and the responses I've gotten from emailing the company, what sets the shampoo apart from other similar topicals is its vehicle's ability to penetrate the scalp enough to make the active ingredients effective. It uses beta sitosterol but also includes other, nonspecified sterol complexes as well as organic anti-inflammatory flavonoids, so I can't really be sure what the culprit could be.

I tend to think it isn't actually reducing DHT systemically but perhaps stopping its conversion in my scalp, as well as the prostate as I am fine in all other aspects regarding DHT levels. I have heard that prostate issues could be one cause of reduced orgasm sensation. It is very confusing because I wasn't even expecting the product to really do anything as it is just a low concentration shampoo, I just figured I'd give it a try. I've waited for a little over a month to see if it is just a passing side effect but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Thanks for the responses.
    It would have to be absorbed systemically to have an effect on DHT levels in your prostate. It is definitely possible for absorption to happen through your scalp, but unlikely that it would happen from a shampoo unless you left it on your head for a significant amount of time. I can't speak for you, but I personally have fluctuations in my hormones, sex drive, etc even when I don't take anything. I think it's normal.

Edit:

To the OP, is it a possibility that you are still experiencing side effects from taking Fin?

It's been a year since I've taken fin last so I can't imagine it would be fin. And yeah, I know what you mean by fluctuations in hormones happening naturally, I thought it was that at first but I can't help but feel it is more than coincidence that it happened when starting the shampoo. Does anyone know if some people are just very sensitive to hormonal changes, granted a shampoo couldn't cause much change systemically but I have to think its had some effect. Also, if anyone is thinking of trying Kératene shampoo, don't think twice because of my experience, I think it is exactly as advertised and not snake oil at all.

Also, when I first started to experience the loss of sensation, I had instances of very mild and brief pain in the groin area. It only happened two or three times but could that mean this side effect is not all in my head?

Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    It's been a year since I've taken fin last so I can't imagine it would be fin. And yeah, I know what you mean by fluctuations in hormones happening naturally, I thought it was that at first but I can't help but feel it is more than coincidence that it happened when starting the shampoo. Does anyone know if some people are just very sensitive to hormonal changes, granted a shampoo couldn't cause much change systemically but I have to think its had some effect. Also, if anyone is thinking of trying Kératene shampoo, don't think twice because of my experience, I think it is exactly as advertised and not snake oil at all.

Also, when I first started to experience the loss of sensation, I had instances of very mild and brief pain in the groin area. It only happened two or three times but could that mean this side effect is not all in my head?
    Are you confident that you weren't having any of these side effects before you started the shampoo? I am not trying to scare you but there are people out there in this world that have had permanent side effects from taking Fin. Very small small percentage but it still happens. The best thing to do to give you concrete information is to get some blood tests done to evaluate your hormone levels. Then you can go from there.

You make a good point but, yes, I am confident that I have not had these sides effects whatsoever in the year that I haven't been taking fin. Getting a blood tests seems like a good idea, would I essentially be looking to see if I was abnormally low in DHT levels?