+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yes, yes.

The wig manufacturers are keeping us from a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pentarou View Post
    There's too many vested interests at play, pharmaceutical corporations, FUT surgeons, wig manufacturers, keeping us from having truly effective treatments let alone a real cure...
    LOL, you really think FUT surgeons and wig manufacturers are paying off researchers to do their work ? That's some conspiracy theory you've got there No it's just that the road from the lab to the patient is a long way. They succeeded at bio engineering a human hair follicle but is it safe to grow in humans ? And the key here is that in order to do this for the masses, they'll need IPS cells, which haven't even been tested in humans. But on the other hand, to me it's quite amazing that in just a few years after discovery of IPS cells, they tackled all problems (cancerous activity etc) and now are ready to start testing it in humans !! It's just a long road. But we're getting there.

they better have some new treatments in the next 2 years, this is getting a bit rough. Finasteride was approved back in the mid 90's and minox even earlier. I want to live in the future already.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Yes, yes.

The wig manufacturers are keeping us from a cure.
    It's the hat manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by justeone View Post
    they better have some new treatments in the next 2 years, this is getting a bit rough. Finasteride was approved back in the mid 90's and minox even earlier. I want to live in the future already.
    Minoxidil was approved for hairloss in 1988, but it was DISCOVERED in 1971 (!).

So 42 years have passed and we don't have anything better for regrowth than mediocre Minoxidil.

****ing joke

Quote Originally Posted by TravisB View Post
    Minoxidil was approved for hairloss in 1988, but it was DISCOVERED in 1971 (!).

So 42 years have passed and we don't have anything better for regrowth than mediocre Minoxidil.

****ing joke
    Stem cell research has been slowed down quite a bit by those religious delusional freaks believing in 2000 year old fairytales. Luckily, 6 years ago they discovered how to make stem cells from skin, they've now tackled all associated problems and are now ready to start testing it in humans. This is going to have HUGE impact for the future of regenerative medicine, including balding.

And also keep in mind that both Fin and Minox never were designed to treat hairloss (but prostate problems and blood pressure problems if I'm correct). They just found out that as a side effect those medicines increased hairgrowth. Why minox grows hairs is even yet poorly understood.

Siriously : **** this world man. I really hate my life

Quote Originally Posted by Pentarou View Post
    There's too many vested interests at play, pharmaceutical corporations, FUT surgeons, wig manufacturers, keeping us from having truly effective treatments let alone a real cure...
    I disagree. Pharmaceutical firms are not investing in hair loss, but nothing suggests they're keeping us from having effective treatments. FUT surgeons - perhaps, but there's not much they can do to stop it. Wigs are a dying industry.

THE problem is pharma firms - they're not working on this. Otherwise, a number of promising compounds will have been on the market. The way I see it, we need non western firms to put these compounds through trials and avoid the FDA's prohibitively high costs entirely. Remember, hair loss is not covered by insurance, so pharma likely doesn't see a market.