+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Fin Doseage Question...

I read a thread a few weeks ago that had information about fin doseage, ie .25mg being just as effective as 1mg, and it was also talking about how often DHT levels need to be treated, I believe it was at least every three days. Does anyone have a link to that thread? Since then it seems that several people on here have switched to a .25mg doseage.

I just got a Rx for Fin on Friday, I would like to read it over again so that I can take the small effective doseage possible.

Unrelated question, has anyone on here started taking Fin around the same time they have gotten a HT? Any good reason not to? I would think that the Fin should stop hair loss and the HT restore the hair that has been lost.

Thank guys.

There is no evidence that 0.25 is "just as effective" as 1mg. Some people can maintain on just 0.25mg daily, but there is NO reason to start with that dosage.

They have tested DHT suppression at different dosage, and it is flat, BUT, that doesn't tell you about the actual variable you're trying to measure - how much hair is maintained. Everybody will see different levels of DHT suppression on the same dosage, and 1mg is where Merck feels it is best for the widest population range.

Long story short, start with the recommended dosage, if you want to cut down, you can do that.

I'd start with 0.2mg if I were you. 1mg outperformed it by around 20% in terms of haircount, but may aswell test your success on o.2mg. Can always up your dose later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    I'd start with 0.2mg if I were you. 1mg outperformed it by around 20% in terms of haircount, but may aswell test your success on o.2mg. Can always up your dose later.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    Link?
    I can't find the link to the original study, here is a thread it is spoke about though.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/m...=y&STARTPAGE=2

Well, the link has the results.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10495375

Efficacy was demonstrated for all end points for finasteride at doses of 0.2 mg/day or higher, with 1 and 5 mg demonstrating similar efficacy that was superior to lower doses. Efficacy of the 0.01 mg dose was similar to placebo. No significant safety issues were identified in the trials.
    Does not appear to be basis for a lower dosage than 1mg unless you suffer sides. You want the best possible result right?

But you do have a point, according to what "Bryan" posted here:

As you can see, the 0.2 mg/day dose produced a haircount after six months of 61 hairs, versus 77 hairs for the 1 mg/day dose.
    Still, not sure why you'd start with lower dose. But I agree it is a great option if you get sides, as it is effective at sub 1.0 mg dosages.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    But you do have a point, according to what "Bryan" posted here:

Still, not sure why you'd start with lower dose. But I agree it is a great option if you get sides, as it is effective at sub 1.0 mg dosages.
    You know whats weird, they didn't test any dose in the range of 0.05-0.2.

0.05mg is the smallest dose that actually has an effect on DHT. From what I recall 0.05mg/day inhibits DHT by around 50%. Wish we knew what 0.05mg/day did for hair count.

I think guys who are afraid of sides should dose themselves up on fin just as one would taper themselves off a drug. Here's all you need:

1) a 100 ml bottle, available at The Container Store or most pharmacies for under a buck.

2) a 1 ml syringe, without the needle, also under a buck.

3) one 5 mg fin pill

4) a pill crusher

Crush the pill and add it to exactly 100 ml of distilled water (you may have to pick out pieces of the pill coating with tweezers). Shake it vigorously before each use. Dose yourself, starting with .2 ml, which will equal .01 mg of fin. You can then literally go up .01 mg at a time using this method and find the point at which you start experiencing sides. If you get sides at .01, you're either hypersensitive to the drug or you're having a placebo effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    I think guys who are afraid of sides should dose themselves up on fin just as one would taper themselves off a drug. Here's all you need:

1) a 100 ml bottle, available at The Container Store or most pharmacies for under a buck.

2) a 1 ml syringe, without the needle, also under a buck.

3) one 5 mg fin pill

4) a pill crusher

Crush the pill and add it to exactly 100 ml of distilled water (you may have to pick out pieces of the pill coating with tweezers). Shake it vigorously before each use. Dose yourself, starting with .2 ml, which will equal .01 mg of fin. You can then literally go up .01 mg at a time using this method and find the point at which you start experiencing sides. If you get sides at .01, you're either hypersensitive to the drug or you're having a placebo effect.
    0.01 does nothing man. would neeed to start at 0.05 as the absolute lowest. Also, will fin dissolve in water, and how long will it be stable? People who micodose fin generally use ethanol.