+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Fear of Finasteride

Now first off I want to make it clear that I understand that there are real potential side effects with the use of finasteride. I am sure there are people that have suffered these side effects and feel bad for those people.

With that out of the way. I am sick and tired of all the paranoia that has been created and spread across the internet, including this website about the use of fin. Unfortunately fin is the best(or one of the best) thing we have going when it comes to the battle of hairloss. Too many men are not using this drug because of an irrational fear of its potential side effects.

I was in the same boat as these men until this past Wednesday. I have literally been going back and fourth many times within the past week whether or not I should give fin a try. Finally I just said screw it, talked to my doctor, and got a prescription. I paid full price(67.99) for generic finasteride, and popped my first pill Wed afternoon. No sides to speak of so far. I will definitely let you know if I do experience any.

I am hoping that I can reach as many people as possible who are suffering from hairloss, and let them know that they should give fin a try. Of course talk to your doctor first and make sure you are in good health. You should follow the same advice as you would when using any prescription drug. Keep an eye on your body. If you are suffering from sides, discontinue the drug and things should be back to normal in a short time. I am not calling people who have suffered life long side effects liars, but most likely they had other stuff going on with their body to cause them to react to finasteride the way they did.

The fear of fin and even minoxidil resulted in not doing anything to attempt to stop my hairloss. Don't make the same mistake I did and wait 15 years before you decide to try the best thing we have!

I delayed taking for only about two months out of fear of the drug -- I still regret it. Wonder how much more hair I would have. Probably not that much, but some.

People who have MPB in the early stages need to GET. ON. FIN. or accept baldness. There is no other option.

I waited way too long to try anything because of fear. I've had scalp problems since my teens so I didn't use minoxidil because I heard that it would irritate my scalp. I didn't want to try fin because of the sexual sides. I know the potential for side effects are there, but I highly doubt my d#*k is going to fall like people on the internet will try to make you believe.

I will always wonder what if I started on fin and minox earlier. "What if's" suck.

Still afraid to use fin...

If I could go back in time I would start fin or dut before the first signs of MPB.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    If I could go back in time I would start fin or dut before the first signs of MPB.
    Same. I get bummed thinking about lost time but what's done is done. I wish I would have just saw a dermatologist and not sought help from websites saturated by fear mongers.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post

People who have MPB in the early stages need to GET. ON. FIN. or accept baldness. There is no other option.
    I'm using minoxidil, Regenepure shampoo and I had hair surgery.

Propecia is optional.

If you were able to stabilize your hairloss without fin, I guess it is possible to not use it after surgery. I am still glad I chose to give it a try. Way to early to tell if it will work or if I will get sides. Just knowing that at I am at least doing what I can to try to stop/slow down my hairloss has given me some peace of mind. Not sure if that makes sense, but my state of mind has been much more positive since starting the meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcoolanymore View Post
    If you were able to stabilize your hairloss without fin, I guess it is possible to not use it after surgery. I am still glad I chose to give it a try. Way to early to tell if it will work or if I will get sides. Just knowing that at I am at least doing what I can to try to stop/slow down my hairloss has given me some peace of mind. Not sure if that makes sense, but my state of mind has been much more positive since starting the meds.
    Itch is gone, hair that hasn't shed is thick and strong, dark hairs popping up quarter of an inch out of my current hairline. If I wasn't on fin I would have went crazy by now.

At one point I questioned if my libido was affected. Started lifting heavy and frequently and I can't even keep my mind off sex for more than 30 seconds. I'm in the best shape of my life and if I save my hair, life will be pretty much perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I delayed taking for only about two months out of fear of the drug -- I still regret it. Wonder how much more hair I would have. Probably not that much, but some.

Like my post in one of the other threads int his subforum, I wish it was this easy for me... Can GP's prescribe propecia btw? Or is that something only dermatologists are allowed?