+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Should a Norwood 1 be seeking treatment?

I'm 18 and a solid Norwood 1, however I've noticed a pretty slight thinning on the crown of my head which is really only noticeable by touch, otherwise my hair is pretty full (I have afro hair). Is this really enough to have to start taking hair loss medication everyday for 40+ years?

Also, wouldn't taking medication actually make me lose my hair at a faster rate during the first few months, making the situation worse? I can probably stay a Norwood 1 for a pretty long time otherwise, whereas taking medication would accelerate the process and make me lose more hair at a faster rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannydevito View Post
    I'm 18 and a solid Norwood 1, however I've noticed a pretty slight thinning on the crown of my head which is really only noticeable by touch, otherwise my hair is pretty full (I have afro hair). Is this really enough to have to start taking hair loss medication everyday for 40+ years?

Also, wouldn't taking medication actually make me lose my hair at a faster rate during the first few months, making the situation worse? I can probably stay a Norwood 1 for a pretty long time otherwise, whereas taking medication would accelerate the process and make me lose more hair at a faster rate.
    If you are losing hair to MPB and want to stop, yes, you should seek treatment. No need to wait until NW2, 3, 4.
    Talk to your doctor about it and get tested for other possible causes first, though

If you do genuinely have MPB (Family history etc), then you should take it. The place to start is finasteride.

And no, medication would not make you lose your hair faster, that's ridiculous, that would beat the purpose of the medication!

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    If you do genuinely have MPB (Family history etc), then you should take it. The place to start is finasteride.

And no, medication would not make you lose your hair faster, that's ridiculous, that would beat the purpose of the medication!
    Can a dermatologist identify stress-related balding vs genetic?

Not always...not all dermatologists are experienced and knowledgeable about hair loss (I'm sure some members here know more).

That being said, according to my derm - stress based hair loss is for pretty heavy stress - death in the family, surgery, trauma, or say extremely stressfull work for a long period of time etc etc....have you had that?

Not always...not all dermatologists are experienced and knowledgeable about hair loss (I'm sure some members here know more).

That being said, according to my derm - stress based hair loss is for pretty heavy stress - death in the family, surgery, trauma, or say extremely stressfull work for a long period of time etc etc....have you had that?
    Not really, but I've gone through a recent depressive period

It's a safer assumption that it's MPB. Don't get derailed telling yourself it's stress related or nutrition related or anything like that. MPB is very common, and you should get it sorted out -- the earlier, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    It's a safer assumption that it's MPB. Don't get derailed telling yourself it's stress related or nutrition related or anything like that. MPB is very common, and you should get it sorted out -- the earlier, the better.
    This.

Have read that 9/10 cases of adult male hair loss are MPB. Even if you have another factor causing hair loss, you might also have MPB along with it. In fact it is perfectly likely.

Also stress can exacerbate MPB....

This is the extent of it:

I assume this is redeemable?