+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Positive Results So Far

Just wanted to put a positive story out there, as so much of what I read before I started treatment is negative, probably due to more frustrated people spending time on forums.

I'm 40, receded to a 'respectable' peak during my mid-late 20s and then only in the last couple of years saw sudden thinning in my crown area. I had a friend comment on it in 2011, but it was only after seeing some holiday snaps taken earlier this year did I really notice how noticeable it had become.

Back around Easter I decided to actually put a bit of effort in to stopping it going further, I'm quite 'boyish' looking, very youthful in life and personality and I suddenly realised I would feel daft and aged with a bald spot.

So I bought some Regaine foam and official expensive Propecia, I'd also been using Alpecin for several months anyway and have kept up with that. I had no noticeable side-effects, in fact due to changes in my life I'm actually having more sex this year than I have done in about 7 (no issues at all, no change in ejaculation etc). I started to notice thickening around the crown within a month or two and now there is no noticeable thinning at all, in fact my hair feels much thicker and lusher than it has for years. Not much yet around my temples, but I can live with that if nothing ever changes there.

I'm now on the generic finasteride 5mg with the annoying fiddly cutting up and I've now been on this for maybe a month. All good so far.

Hi LondonHK38 I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, I'm a youthful looking 44 with people commenting on my crown lately at work, getting me down. Some of the younger guys don't seem to understand why I'm concerned about it at my age on here, but I'm sure you can relate.
    I'm really seriously considering Propecia myself, sides worry me tho.

Anyway, welcome, and good luck with your hair retention mate.

Concern about hair loss is 100% legitimate at any age. Your look affects how people see/treat you regardless if you are 20 or 80 unfortunately. (When you are 80 would you rather look like Ronald Reagan did at that age or like Larry King?)

Anyway LondonHK....let us know if you notice any changes on the 5 mg generic. I have seen a few people claim they start shedding when they switch from one fin brand/form to another and I never rly understood that

Cheers 25 I appreciate your post, hairloss at any age is awful, I agree it's hard in particular for younger guys, but us older fellow's feel it too, if we care about our appreance that is, and I certainly do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Cheers 25 I appreciate your post, hairloss at any age is awful, I agree it's hard in particular for younger guys, but us older fellow's feel it too, if we care about our appreance that is, and I certainly do.
    If you are the type to care about your appearance it will always hit hard. You get used to being seen a certain way and it becomes part of your identity, even central to your identity

Good story to ready.

You're on fin for what, 4 months then? If you're already doing better hair-wise, you're lucky as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    If you are the type to care about your appearance it will always hit hard. You get used to being seen a certain way and it becomes part of your identity, even central to your identity
    Absolutely agree. I was a guitarist in a busy band for 15 yrs, image meant a lot. I quit all that 5 years ago due to age and hearing loss, anyway, they want me to do a few more gigs - I'm stalling them tho, don't want to be seen with a thinning crown under spotlights.
    So, I think about Fin, then I worry about cognitive sides, would I he able to remember songs with possible brain fog? I have a job with responsibility, could I do that? on the other hand I could respond, and benefit well.

Just feels like i/we have to put a gun to our heads and chance it, it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Absolutely agree. I was a guitarist in a busy band for 15 yrs, image meant a lot. I quit all that 5 years ago due to age and hearing loss, anyway, they want me to do a few more gigs - I'm stalling them tho, don't want to be seen with a thinning crown under spotlights.
    So, I think about Fin, then I worry about cognitive sides, would I he able to remember songs with possible brain fog? I have a job with responsibility, could I do that? on the other hand I could respond, and benefit well.

Just feels like i/we have to put a gun to our heads and chance it, it sucks.
    You are still on the fence about fin?? Just do it man. Quit if you get bad sides. But almost every guy who takes fin and sticks with it ends up saying "I wish I started sooner" (including me). I would understand if you were hesitating about an HT, or some experimental stuff you have to group buy from China, or even dut. But fin is pretty much the aspirin of MPB treatments

Anyway about the gig. Maybe go with a hat or bandana? If you skip it it will be the kind of thing you feel bad about years later. However I understand your worry, when my diffusion was at its worst I avoided bright "spotlights" like the plague.

Thing that scares me about Fin is persistent sides after quitting. Now, if my balls turned blue and my dick shrivelled up whilst on it, and my hair blossomed I'd accept it, as long as the sides cleared up when I quit the drug, but there's no guarantee that I'll revert to how I was healthwise pre fin dude, and that worries me the most.

And the bandana thing, I couldn't do that, it's too cheesy, I'd rather avoid gigging than wear a bandana on stage dude.

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

That is very tragic indeed. Having that hair just makes image of the band look so much better because it is basically an identity. The bandanna looks good on the few that can pull it off but even then, to some it'll still be douchey. Fin is definitely an option but like you say, the sides do frighten a lot of peepZ including myself. I held onto my tablets for a long time before I started snackin' that shit like dorito chips.