+ Reply to Thread

Smile "The boy with the best hair at college"

Hi first real post, 18 year old, a couple months shy of 19, receding (Norwood 2). I've always had great hair, people mentioned it a lot and i became quite popular at college. Then that one day which we all remember arrived, the first time you noticed a change in your hairline. I was 17 and have watched by hairline recede for the past year, it does kill me inside, i've hidden it pretty well, i have medium length hair so it was pretty easy to cover up whilst have it looking great. During the past year i've been hoping it was just a mature hairline and there won't be any further recession. There has been some thinning in general around my head, not really noticeable. Most would think i have a full head of hair.

Despite no one really noticing besides my mum it does cause some stress. I'm a stress free person, i generally have no worries. I'm on my way to a very good russel group university in the fall, socially and academically i've done very well and i'd like to consider myself a good looking guy with an amazing girlfriend so i literally would not have a care in the world if it wasn't for my hair. I've honest with myself and i have assesed my options on how to tackle hair loss, hair transplant is out of the question and i never have had any surgical procedures and i hope to keep it that way. So minox and finastricide are my options at this point. I've been floating around the forums for a good year or so looking at the pros and cons of each; side effects etc. I've been to a doctor to look at my hair loss, he was not very sympathetic which i found ironic considering he was into his 40s with a norwood 2 hairline and next to no thinning which did make me jealous. I imagined there would be more empathy from a doctor.

I've tuned into the radio show for a while now and i plan to order my first batch of generic finastride, if i do experience any side effects, i'm turning to minoxdil as soon as possible. I hope i respond to the treatment as my hair is quite important to me, i'm in a good place self esteem wise which wasn't the case when i was say 14, my family used to call me ugly quite excessively which kind of led me to become quite consicious of my appearance dare i say metrosexual. Puberty did wonders for me so i'm quite happy with the way i look now and at this point i just want to maintain the hair i have and get through an upcoming intensive law degree and maybe even bald gracefully after i hit 30 if there really is no "cure" for baldness which we all collectively hold our breaths for. Baldness is on both sides of my family, my dad was pretty bald by 36 before cancer took him and my mum's brothers 2 out of 3 of my mum's brothers are bald. My one uncle is into his 60s, Norwood 1...

Maybe i shoudn't fret considering i could be alot worse off and i'm greatful for everything at this moment, so here's my story, a fellow balding person clinging onto his hair. It's now or never right

Quote Originally Posted by Mribby1 View Post
    Hi first real post, 18 year old, a couple months shy of 19, receding (Norwood 2). I've always had great hair, people mentioned it a lot and i became quite popular at college. Then that one day which we all remember arrived, the first time you noticed a change in your hairline. I was 17 and have watched by hairline recede for the past year, it does kill me inside, i've hidden it pretty well, i have medium length hair so it was pretty easy to cover up whilst have it looking great. During the past year i've been hoping it was just a mature hairline and there won't be any further recession. There has been some thinning in general around my head, not really noticeable. Most would think i have a full head of hair.

Despite no one really noticing besides my mum it does cause some stress. I'm a stress free person, i generally have no worries. I'm on my way to a very good russel group university in the fall, socially and academically i've done very well and i'd like to consider myself a good looking guy with an amazing girlfriend so i literally would not have a care in the world if it wasn't for my hair. I've honest with myself and i have assesed my options on how to tackle hair loss, hair transplant is out of the question and i never have had any surgical procedures and i hope to keep it that way. So minox and finastricide are my options at this point. I've been floating around the forums for a good year or so looking at the pros and cons of each; side effects etc. I've been to a doctor to look at my hair loss, he was not very sympathetic which i found ironic considering he was into his 40s with a norwood 2 hairline and next to no thinning which did make me jealous. I imagined there would be more empathy from a doctor.

I've tuned into the radio show for a while now and i plan to order my first batch of generic finastride, if i do experience any side effects, i'm turning to minoxdil as soon as possible. I hope i respond to the treatment as my hair is quite important to me, i'm in a good place self esteem wise which wasn't the case when i was say 14, my family used to call me ugly quite excessively which kind of led me to become quite consicious of my appearance dare i say metrosexual. Puberty did wonders for me so i'm quite happy with the way i look now and at this point i just want to maintain the hair i have and get through an upcoming intensive law degree and maybe even bald gracefully after i hit 30 if there really is no "cure" for baldness which we all collectively hold our breaths for. Baldness is on both sides of my family, my dad was pretty bald by 36 before cancer took him and my mum's brothers 2 out of 3 of my mum's brothers are bald. My one uncle is into his 60s, Norwood 1...

Maybe i shoudn't fret considering i could be alot worse off and i'm greatful for everything at this moment, so here's my story, a fellow balding person clinging onto his hair. It's now or never right
    Hey man! You seem to have a really good attitude, which is a breath of fresh air on these forums I feel you on the hair part, i am 16 currently going through the same form of mpb as you, although mine might be worst, anyways... At your age, i would defs recommend treatment, catching mpb as early as possible is the life saver! Like you mentioned, you have a girlfriend, looks and smarts, which are traits men with thick hair would kill for, so train yourself to kick negative thoughts of hairloss out of your head as soon as possible, it does wonders trust me. Now on top of the long term treatment, i'd recommend taking omega 3-enriched fish oil and b-50 complex supplements morning and night, aswell as a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner (sulfate is very aggressive and dries out hair). I would also highly recommend taking Nizoral shampoo (which really cleans scalp and hair, and can sometimes promote some hair growth) but only take this twice a week, or else you risk over doing it and actually losing hair, its strong stuff. One last thing, if your not to self conscious about your hairline, maybe try shaving your head, it gives you an idea of what you will look like (which takes away the fear&anxiety) and is easier to apply products to your hair if you decided to use topical treatments, and hey, maybe you'll find you look good with the look! Anyways man good luck, and don't let this thing rule your life

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Benjaymin View Post
    Hey man! You seem to have a really good attitude, which is a breath of fresh air on these forums I feel you on the hair part, i am 16 currently going through the same form of mpb as you, although mine might be worst, anyways... At your age, i would defs recommend treatment, catching mpb as early as possible is the life saver! Like you mentioned, you have a girlfriend, looks and smarts, which are traits men with thick hair would kill for, so train yourself to kick negative thoughts of hairloss out of your head as soon as possible, it does wonders trust me. Now on top of the long term treatment, i'd recommend taking omega 3-enriched fish oil and b-50 complex supplements morning and night, aswell as a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner (sulfate is very aggressive and dries out hair). I would also highly recommend taking Nizoral shampoo (which really cleans scalp and hair, and can sometimes promote some hair growth) but only take this twice a week, or else you risk over doing it and actually losing hair, its strong stuff. One last thing, if your not to self conscious about your hairline, maybe try shaving your head, it gives you an idea of what you will look like (which takes away the fear&anxiety) and is easier to apply products to your hair if you decided to use topical treatments, and hey, maybe you'll find you look good with the look! Anyways man good luck, and don't let this thing rule your life
    Heyy thank you for the kind words, any advice is appreciated kicking out those negative thoughts is the probably the hardest part of balding in my opinion, god knows how much all of this would cost per month being a student about to sign up for £50000 of debt in the coming years. I don't really use sulphate shampoo, i've literally been using baby shampoo for the past month according to my teacher who has great hair at 50 or so he told us that baby shampoo is mild and doesn't have many chemicals which can ruin your hair.If it's good enough for babies it should be fine for adults. Since starting using it i have seen less hair in the shower. Although there are some who claim that it's not good for adult hair but i'm happy with the results. I wish i could buzz down my hair but i do feel it's part of my character and it would be hard. For me buzzing down my hair would be last resort when i feel the battle has been lost. You're quite young man and you seem to be smart i don't think i would deal with hair loss as well as you when i was 16. I can see you becoming quite wise. Here's to us young mpb sufferers and old of course

Yeah, you have to find a way to disconnect your self-worth from your hair.

I used to have really, really thick hair. (This actually might explain why I have good coverage, even though my hair loss hit suddenly and aggressively; there was a lot to lose.) Anyways, it pains me to know girls used to love my thick hair, and now I'd have to fight wincing if a girl rubbed her hand through it.

Thankfully, as I get older, I find that hair is less and less of a deal maker with women. Either way, now I'm focused on getting a massive, chiseled body because I know women like getting their hands on that too.