+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graft Placement

Default Graft Placement

I know the big thing is to focus on hairlines but are any docs doing other "layouts"?

As someone "looking forward" to a NW5-6 pattern I wonder if anyone has experience with a transplant that targeted mid-scalp over hairline.

Something like an Alton Brown look:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...brown_2011.jpg

Sure, it's not "ideal" but it's far better than having an NW5 horseshoe.

Any docs or reps or patients care to share their thoughts?

Is this possible? How would it adjust graft counts? Can it be made to look natural?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baldymcgee View Post
    I know the big thing is to focus on hairlines but are any docs doing other "layouts"?

As someone "looking forward" to a NW5-6 pattern I wonder if anyone has experience with a transplant that targeted mid-scalp over hairline.

Something like an Alton Brown look:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...brown_2011.jpg

Sure, it's not "ideal" but it's far better than having an NW5 horseshoe.

Any docs or reps or patients care to share their thoughts?

Is this possible? How would it adjust graft counts? Can it be made to look natural?
    I personally believe that men with hair loss into the Norwood 5 and 6 category get the best cosmetic result by focusing on the frontal area which results in framing the face. High hairlines always look better than frontal hair loss IMO.
    Our Norwood 6 patient looks great from the front and both sides. The top and back are still thin but most people would agree that this has made the best use of his available donor hair.

See Video

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    www.forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I personally believe that men with hair loss into the Norwood 5 and 6 category get the best cosmetic result by focusing on the frontal area which results in framing the face. High hairlines always look better than frontal hair loss IMO.
    Our Norwood 6 patient looks great from the front and both sides. The top and back are still thin but most people would agree that this has made the best use of his available donor hair.

See Video
    I guess this is a question of expectations. Some people would rather have the (limited) illusion of a full head of hair and others would rather have a "gracefully thinning but not bald look"

I'm not convinced that the "illusion of a full head of hair" works in all (or even many/most) high-norwood cases so I'm asking about the other option.

Thanks for the comment though -- would love to hear from reps of other docs (or some HT veterans).

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baldymcgee View Post
    I guess this is a question of expectations. Some people would rather have the (limited) illusion of a full head of hair and others would rather have a "gracefully thinning but not bald look"

I'm not convinced that the "illusion of a full head of hair" works in all (or even many/most) high-norwood cases so I'm asking about the other option.

Thanks for the comment though -- would love to hear from reps of other docs (or some HT veterans).
    I began losing my hair at a young age. Back when I was younger, any hair loss was completely unacceptable. This is a common point of view with men approx. 14-35. As we get older most men will accept some relief from the shiny top. Frontal grafting provides adequate relief for some men. As healing technology improves, results will improve. Things are moving in the right direction, but not as fast as us men with hair loss would like.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    www.forhair.com
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

IMHO, it really comes down to each and every individual with hairloss. I remember meeting a man in his 70's and he was a Norwood 6. He had been a widower for five years and he said all he wanted was just a little in the front so that he had a hairline (meaning a frame).

He was re-entering the social scene and said he was tired of meeting new women who stared at his forehead. What do you tell a man like that? Some would say that it would be highly unethical for a doctor to do any work on him.

Still, it's his appearance and he had very low expectations. Just wanted a confidence booster. He finally found a doctor who gave him a nice frame and he is dating.

Some men who have extensive hairloss in their genetic time clocks or men who have lived with extensive hairloss pull down their goals and expectations. Somehow they know that upper end densities and coverage are not possible. They are happy with some level of coverage.

Still, some work on the frontal third and wear partial hair systems for the back. There are options and everyone is different.

The bottom line is that the patient is happy within their realm of expectations and donor limitations and they experience a better quality of life.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    There are options and everyone is different.
    This is what I like hearing, but all the posts (by veterans and by doctors offices) seem to focus on the standard "dense up front, less dense going backward" look.

I'd love to see/hear from some docs (or reps) about people who wanted something different -- did it look good? were the patients satisfied? can they share some photos? what are the tradeoffs?