+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

One more thing I'd say is don't over think it.

It's a big decision for sure, but getting over the fear fthat first buzz is a terribly interesting experience. Go to a barber, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    One more thing I'd say is don't over think it.
    Impossible for me man. I didn't choose this name because I think I'm a hyper-intellectual, I made it because I over think everything and my brain never stops picking at stuff.

It's a big decision for sure, but getting over the fear fthat first buzz is a terribly interesting experience. Go to a barber, btw.
    May I ask why you suggest having a barber do it? It seems like rubbing a clippers over my head wouldn't be too much work.

Thanks.

I think there's quite a few guys here that can relate. I don't post here often but I follow a lot of your posts. I think I'm quite similar to you in my propensity to overthink things of this nature. I started Fin about a month before you did and I've experienced a very similar deterioration in my hair on the vertex in particular. I've also been contemplating shaving down to a 1 under the guise of "cooler for the summer" but can't quite bring myself to go through with it. I'm a diffuse thinner so I'm extremely concerned that the contrast will make it even more obvious to those that have not already noticed that I'm balding. I've previously shaved my head when I had no signs of balding and I was actually a little bit surprised that it looked much better than I would have thought. I did it by accident that time though so I had no time to chicken out on it. Good luck to you in whatever you decide brah. Make sure you hit up Chino Latino. Lot's of young professional types hang out there. It used to be my favorite hang-out in the city and I pulled some serious hotties in that place. You're also right on about Minox application. It's a serious b*tch with long hair and it made my thinning hair look even more thin when I was using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel15 View Post
    I think there's quite a few guys here that can relate. I don't post here often but I follow a lot of your posts. I think I'm quite similar to you in my propensity to overthink things of this nature. I started Fin about a month before you did and I've experienced a very similar deterioration in my hair on the vertex in particular. I've also been contemplating shaving down to a 1 under the guise of "cooler for the summer" but can't quite bring myself to go through with it. I'm a diffuse thinner so I'm extremely concerned that the contrast will make it even more obvious to those that have not already noticed that I'm balding. I've previously shaved my head when I had no signs of balding and I was actually a little bit surprised that it looked much better than I would have thought. I did it by accident that time though so I had no time to chicken out on it. Good luck to you in whatever you decide brah. Make sure you hit up Chino Latino. Lot's of young professional types hang out there. It used to be my favorite hang-out in the city and I pulled some serious hotties in that place. You're also right on about Minox application. It's a serious b*tch with long hair and it made my thinning hair look even more thin when I was using it.
    Not a big fan of Chino Latino. It's pretty chill but meh. The food is overpriced -- basically pay for novelty of "fusion" cuisine. For Uptown, I'm all about Bar Louie right now, and Republic.

More of a Loop/Warehouse District and Northeast type of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Not a big fan of Chino Latino. It's pretty chill but meh. The food is overpriced -- basically pay for novelty of "fusion" cuisine. For Uptown, I'm all about Bar Louie right now, and Republic.

More of a Loop/Warehouse District and Northeast type of guy.
    To each his own man. Republic always had way too much of the frat crowd for my taste but I haven't been back to Minneapolis in almost 6 years so I'm sure the scene has changed somewhat. Just a friendly suggestion on my part based on my experience.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    May I ask why you suggest having a barber do it? It seems like rubbing a clippers over my head wouldn't be too much work.

Thanks.
    Eh you'll want clippers for each time after, but going to the barber the first time will

a. give you an idea of how to buzz it correctly, technique and
    b. they'll line up everything, and it'll look more professionally done, trust

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel15 View Post
    To each his own man. Republic always had way too much of the frat crowd for my taste but I haven't been back to Minneapolis in almost 6 years so I'm sure the scene has changed somewhat. Just a friendly suggestion on my part based on my experience.
    Gotcha. Republic actually has a brand new location that's not even an year old. Way more chill. Good, cheap happy hour food. Craft beer.

Eh you'll want clippers for each time after, but going to the barber the first time will

a. give you an idea of how to buzz it correctly, technique and
    b. they'll line up everything, and it'll look more professionally done, trust
    Ah, word. I wasn't questioning your opinion -- just inquiring for more detail.

Seems reasonable and it sounds like you've been through it. Will do.

i say definitely do it, i've had my hair shaved for 2 months now, and it was a huge step at first, considering i'm a NW 2.5 at 16 lol... It really helps with the anxiety of it all, but doesn't help much on the self-counscious aspect of it, that mostly comes from keeping busy like hitting the gym. But ya man defs go for it, i was really nervous before i did, but i am so glad i did it in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Benjaymin View Post
    i say definitely do it, i've had my hair shaved for 2 months now, and it was a huge step at first, considering i'm a NW 2.5 at 16 lol... It really helps with the anxiety of it all, but doesn't help much on the self-counscious aspect of it, that mostly comes from keeping busy like hitting the gym. But ya man defs go for it, i was really nervous before i did, but i am so glad i did it in the end
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: the fact that you teenagers can go through this at such a young age and be so level-headed is humbling -- I'm almost embarrassed to be so wrapped up in something a kid almost a decade younger than me has already triumphed.

You're a source of inspiration, buddy, and I'm certain your future is nothing but brilliant with the mentality you currently have.

Buzzing my head was really difficult at first, I've always had long, thick crazy hair, so it was a BIG move. At first it was a shock but also a relief, I enjoyed it as a new hair style and I wasn't looking at my thinning hair anymore.

5 months later and I have a love/hate relationship with it, I HATE seeing my scalp under bright light, I feel that it makes look less less attractive and I've started to constantly observe my hair again like the way it was before. It does however make applying minox much easier, I would say that it only helped me for a certain amount of time. Now I'm sick of it and just want my hair back! I do like it sometimes and feel more like a bad ass, especially with a beard/stubble, but because I am diffusing buzzing hasn't helped as much as I would of hoped.