Threaded View

Default *UPDATE 04/09* Propecia .5mg/ Minox 5%, Great results!

HI Everyone.

I'm new here and just did a bunch of browsing though many posts. Fascinating stuff. Spent far too long just going through everyone's story, its crazy how obsessed a person can become over hairloss!!

Anyhow here is my story. I've been losing my hair for about 10 years. I am 28 now. Its been a slow frontal hairloss, like my dad. He is 60 or so and still has hair on top but its thin and ugly. Just a life long slow balding.

So when I was like 21-22, I went to a doctor to ask about it. He told me just to cope and there is nothing I could do because rogaine and propecia are only for bald spots. That day the doctor should've at least sent me to a dermatologist, and spared me a lot of the pain I've been through from having my self esteem affected from hair loss.

Anyhow like I said I am 28 now. I have been on rogaine 5% for the past 3-4 years. At first I had AMAZING regrowth coming in! I felt so great! But its so hard to not miss a treatment or 2. Because of traveling and stuff, I always eventually missed a dose, and that would **** everything up. So I thought it was a miracle and it turned out not to be. My hair continued to recede regardless of how well I kept up my dosage.
    Strange thing: I notice some of my hairs were growing thick/thin/thick/thin/thick/thin like stripes along the hair. I only noticed this when I looked closely, but its like it was struggling to work.

So recently, I went to a doctor, she reluctantly gave me a prescription for finesteride. I am taking .5mg a day I am paying $30/month for a half dose a propecia, and using dirt cheap kirkland minox 5% from online.

My propecia experience so far:

Within 2 weeks I started seeing activity. at almost 4 months now I see some major regrowth and thickening.

I am very optimistic about my progress so far, but wonder what the future will hold? I am thinking maybe I caught my hairloss not quite too late and I might experience some great results?? What do you think? Honestly I am quite happy with the results so far and regaining more hair would just be so fantastic! I've experienced no dread shed from propecia but realize this could happen, but I am almost at the 4 month mark.

What do you guys think? I'm trying not to be too optimistic, but I do notice I have small hairs all over my forehead. Could they possibly return to normal or close to my original hairline? Realistically a complete stop in hair loss would be great as well.

This is about a month before I started propecia:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	top pre.jpg

Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2110
    3 months after I started taking propecia:

Name:	top 3 months.jpg

Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2111
    This is about a month before I started propecia:

Name:	side pre.jpg

Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	2112
    3 months after I started taking propecia:

Name:	side 3 months.jpg

Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	2113

My advice to people is to try the propecia half dose. There is a petition online that is asking Merck to re-examine their dosage recommendation of propecia, because appearently 1mg shows to be no more effective than .2mg
    I would take .2mg if I could, because I totally believe this study, and am entirely distrustful of big pharma! especially when it comes to things like fertility side effects!(eugenics!).

I would appreciate any thoughts and predictions of how I am doing! It feels great to talk about this and get it all of my chest.

Thanks for reading my story., and I will post updates soon.

*UPDATE*

Things have still been going well. I have lowered my propecia dose by taking .25mg propecia every 3rd day. I have not noticed any difference.

Here is a photo comparing before I started propecia, and 4.5 months after starting propecia(that would be today).

Name:	compare.jpg

Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	2395

I am really really excited about this. I feel like a new person, and my hair is so much fuller now. I have way more confidence. Just in time too because I felt it dwindling away as I was getting thinner. As you can see my hairline has crawled back from the dead a bit, and the overall density and thickness has increased to a more pleasant amount. Once all the new hairs are grown out longer, it should look great. I also hope to grow much more back, but only time will tell.

I am still keeping a close eye for propecia side effects. Sometimes I feel testicle pressure/sensitivity, but it always passes. Definitely clearer semen as well. I've read a lot of people online have really bad sides and not recovering from them even when stopping the meds. This is a reason I reduced the propecia dosage. I'm thinking I could get away with alternating .5/.25 dosages and still see the same results more or less. This might be my next step. I will post updates in another 1-2 months.
    Last edited by g k; 09-04-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: update