+ Reply to Thread

Default Why don't non-HASCI clinics offer HST?

I'm curious, is it known why only HASCI offers Gho's HST procedure? Does Gho keep HST protected with strict patents and trademarks and not allow licensees, or is it simply the case that hair transplant surgeons generally have no interest in using (licencing?) HST as an alternative to FUE and FUT?

Yes, the technique is patented at national and European level. Have not you been in their website?

However, in US you cannot patent Surgery....

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    However, in US you cannot patent Surgery....
    Well, I cannot pretend that I know how the patent system works. It is there to protect intellectual property but sometimes (often lately?) *not so reasonable* things may happen.

Plus, I remember having read that Dr. Gho is using a special preparation to enhance survival and growth of the grafts. While this practice is very common in the Netherlands for dermatological applications, it is strictly regulated (or forbidden) in the U.S.A.

I wonder what is in that "special preparation". You cannot multiply stem cells in a medium, as Nigam has noted, and doctors already use a medium for graft storage.

Quote Originally Posted by KO1 View Post
    I wonder what is in that "special preparation". You cannot multiply stem cells in a medium, as Nigam has noted, and doctors already use a medium for graft storage.
    After extraction, the partial longitudinal follicular units are stored in the preservative medium, which is composed of the following ingredients: sodium chloride, potassium chloride, magnesium sulphate, sodium phosphate, calciumchloride, glucose, sodium bicarbonate, sodium lactate, sodiumpyruvate, human serum albumin, insulin, bis(maltolato)ox-ovanadium (BMOV) and a-tocopherol (vitamin E)

^How is that different from a standard medium though? On the forums, we've heard stories of how Gho's medium allows him to multiply stem cells....

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Well, I cannot pretend that I know how the patent system works. It is there to protect intellectual property but sometimes (often lately?) *not so reasonable* things may happen.

Plus, I remember having read that Dr. Gho is using a special preparation to enhance survival and growth of the grafts. While this practice is very common in the Netherlands for dermatological applications, it is strictly regulated (or forbidden) in the U.S.A.
    So if you're just taking hairs out, and bisecting follicles, that should count as surgery. The problem happens when you take cells out, modify them, and then inject. That makes it a biologic, which needs FDA testing and approval. Since Gho is doing the former, his method should be able to be replicated in the US or elsewhere. (India)

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post

I think there are so so much ways to achieve the same goal, tons of ways. its so easy to do in vitro. so enough options / workarounds for the preservation.