+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInARut View Post
    It's a conspiracy I tell ya. Research and progress stifled by the hair transplant industry. Think of it, a bona fide sure treatment to regrow a full mop would no doubt put them out of business. haha!

Seriously, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it is ridiculous that we have absolutely nothing new in the way of treatments. I guess I will just have to put all my faith into fin for the time being.
    Unfortunately though, it seems that most people with the hair loss industry are in fact hair transplant surgeons and all they seem to be interested in doing are more and more hair transplants and not innovate in any way, shape, or form (unless it is some derivative of a hair transplant).

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    Unfortunately though, it seems that most people with the hair loss industry are in fact hair transplant surgeons and all they seem to be interested in doing are more and more hair transplants and not innovate in any way, shape, or form (unless it is some derivative of a hair transplant).

Yes, that's true. I don't believe in the conspiracy theories but I do believe that there is problem in that "hair loss" is too connected to the "hair transplant" industry when in reality the greatest progress doesn't lie in that industry. It's similar to the problem with dentistry and the general lack of progress in the field. Regenerative medicine holds the key to future dentistry. Crudely put, dentists aren't going to change the game. Left to themselves the "innovations" are simply new artistic techniques for extracting, drilling, gum grafting etc. Regrowing teeth isn't going to come from dentists, but rather those involved in regenerative medicine.

The same thing is true with hair. A great hair transplant surgeon is a skilled artist but they are hardly innovating when it comes to hair restoration. It's depressing to see a conference of hair "experts" (transplant surgeons) where they sit around and discuss different transplant techniques. You are working with a very low ceiling if you are focusing on transplants. Look at acell. Now people are using it for transplants and even for some general regrowth without a transplant. Transplant surgeons are using it, but did they have anything to do with its development? No, it's a product of regenerative medicine and wasn't even designed with hair loss in mind.

That's why I have far more interest in someone like Gail Naughton than someone like William Rassman. Even if she fails miserably she's trying to truly advance the field. Rassman will continue to move hair around and offer tattoos that resemble hair.