+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clarence View Post
    Man what the hell, I, along with some others of my age, already had that early NW3 pattern going on when I was 19 and ten years later (but still, before I jumped on any medications), the only thing which made this pattern look more prominent was the development of the "mature hairline". So I'm just saying, I suspect a receding hairline is a poor indication of how fast you're going to lose it, as opposed to if you have thinning zones.

Tho from the pictures, I can't tell if your lower temples are thinning or if you just have naturally a bit narrow temple points...
    The temples have been thin for atleast a year, i dont know about how they were before. I actually saw a picture of myself from last june (a few months from when i actually started caring about styling etc and 6 months after turning 15) and there its receded the same it has now basically. If i actually had a straight hairline wouldn't i have noticed the miniturization? But yeah, i first reacted on the extremely thin temples in september last year, don't know if they were thin before.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    I am a huge advocate of preventative medicine like fin but this dude is only 16. DHT is one of the primary hormones involved in the development of secondary sex traits and at 16 he is still developing. Have you ever heard of congenital 5-α-reductase deficiency? It is a genetic disorder that causes pseudohermaphroditism, basically it results in boys with underdeveloped male genitalia due to the lack of DHT. Now mind you he has probably already gone through puberty, but messing with DHT levels at his age would be reckless. That is why he would never get a prescription for fin from any reputable doctor at his age. I looked into taking fin when I was his age and my doctor told me there was no way in hell, and to come back and see him in a few years.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Teens should stay away from this.

Quote Originally Posted by iH8d0ugh View Post
    but on the other hand the hairloss history in my family isn't that bad
    This is far more important than anything you are observing at this moment on yourself. What is the worse you have seen in your family?

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    This is far more important than anything you are observing at this moment on yourself. What is the worse you have seen in your family?
    Mpb has variable penetrance, so while family hair loss is a good indicator of whether or not you will suffer from mpb because it is most likely an autosomal dominate disorder, it does not acurately predict the extent or the severity of mpb. I think it is good to assume that if you are loosing hair this young you should plan on being an advanced norwood level.

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    I think it is good to assume that if you are loosing hair this young you should plan on being an advanced norwood level.
    I see what you mean and I generally agree.

Age of onset, and not only final stage of male pattern baldness, makes part of the family history. I think both parameters should be considered. I know one case of a bald guy who went from NW1 to NW6 very abruptly (something that wrecked him at that time - he was about 30), and other cases starting losing hair before 20 and more than 15 years later are not beyond NW4. So, nothing is certain.

My dad, sadly. He's turning 50 in two months and is a NW6/7. He started at like 22/23 i think and has been bald for as long as i can remeber. I'm guessing he was bald by his late 20's/early 30's. My grandfather (dads dad) was like a NW4/5 last time i met him two years ago and in pictures, i highly doubt he has progressed any further. He's 80 something. I think he started pretty late though, i have seen some old pictures where he looked atleats 30 and still a full head of hair. my dads only brother is still a NW 1/2 in his 50's however. My moms side is great though, my moms dad died in his 70's with a NW1/2 and my moms only brother is a strong NW2 in his mid 50's.

My dad, sadly. He's turning 50 in two months and is a NW6/7. He started at like 22/23 i think and has been bald for as long as i can remeber. I'm guessing he was bald by his late 20's/early 30's. My grandfather (dads dad) was like a NW4/5 last time i met him two years ago and in pictures, i highly doubt he has progressed any further. He's 80 something. I think he started pretty late though, i have seen some old pictures where he looked atleats 30 and still a full head of hair. my dads only brother is still a NW 1/2 in his 50's however. My moms side is great though, my moms dad died in his 70's with a NW1/2 and my moms only brother is a strong NW2 in his mid 50's.
    You seem to be rather unlucky, taking the route of your father. In my case baldness came from the father of my mother (the only family member with such extensive and early baldness).

But unlike me and so many others, you will have a chance to keep your hair.

You seem to be rather unlucky, taking the route of your father. In my case baldness came from the father of my mother (the only family member with such extensive and early baldness).

But unlike me and so many others, you will have a chance to keep your hair.
    If thats the case that would suck.. I don't have the headshape for a buzz/shave either so hopefully replicel, ari or tsuji (or any other company/research institute) becomes a reality and cures this disease. How old are you and how long have you been losing your hair btw?

What these companies (replicel, histogen, ari etc) probably fail to realize is that their demographic isn't only 50 year old men who want their hair back but also young guys who want to stop their hairloss aswell. I'm only 16 and nobody should ever be cursed with this disease at such a young age. No 16 year old should have baldtruthtalk as their most visited website and no 16 year old should be spending as much time as i do researching treatments for baldness.

All I want is a good way to restore my hairline and keep it like that. I'm probably going to be bald by my 22nd birthday, and that terrifies me. I would trade one of my feet and however much money they ask for too get my hairline back and keep it for the rest of my life. You guys who are balding in your mid 20's have it easy, in that age it's actually not uncommon to start balding and quite socially acceptable but 16? It's ridiculous. The fact that I'm still way too young for any good treatments (Fin, Dutas) makes this whole situation even worse. If I could i would get on Dutas in a heartbeat

If these companies realized that 16-20 year olds are going through this too and would shower them with money for a cure i think they would hurry the **** up. I try to keep optimistic about the new treatments but the latest news from Histogen and Replicels clinical trails were really underwhelming and as it is right now, yes, we do need a miracle.
    I really feel sad for what you wrote, iH8d0ugh. No matter how old we are when mpb strikes us, we should have a choice, to decide whether to accept it or not.
    Allow me to say my opinion: mpb should never be socially acceptable.
    Companies are there for profit. If the miracle is cheaper than the research to geto to it, then yes we will have it. Otherwise...who knows?

If thats the case that would suck.. I don't have the headshape for a buzz/shave either so hopefully replicel, ari or tsuji (or any other company/research institute) becomes a reality and cures this disease.
    Although you have a problem now, you don't need to worry too much. No matter how much you lose at this age, it is not going to be really noticeable before becoming an adult. So, you have 2,3 or even 4 years to go before considering getting into medication. But that's the point, today you have something to slow down or completely halt (if you are lucky enough) hair loss. Certainly not a cure, but since you are only 16, with the existing even half-baked solutions, you have hope. At least you can buy time until something better comes out.

How old are you and how long have you been losing your hair btw?
    I am in my mid-forties. I started losing hair when I was at your age, 16-17. At about 20-21 it became clear that something was very wrong. The dermatologist who saw me said that I was going to become like my father and that I have just to accept the fact (at that time nothing could be done to stop hair loss caused by AGA). Unfortunately, as I wrote earlier, I became like my grand father; in fact, my father kept much of his hair even after his 70. By my early 30's I landed into NW6/7 territory. During the last 8-9 years the situation is stabilized.