+ Reply to Thread

Default Question about FUE yield

My understanding is that there is greater yield from FUT over FUE. However am I right in saying that is comparing a total FUT procedure vs. a total FUE procedure?

Surely if you combine them you could have a huge yield? What I mean is could you have a mega session FUT done. And then subsequent to that have FUE done using the remaining areas on the back of your head (above and below your scar) as your donor area?

The reason I ask is cause when I see people after an FUT done I cant help but think that there are loads of hair on the back of head that surely could be used in some other way (such as FUE)

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Yield with FUT and FUE depends upon the patient, doctor's skill and the level of technology used during surgery. Working at Dr. Cole's office I have met patients who have had hair transplant surgery at other clinics who have a terrible yield from strip surgery. I have also seen great yields from strip. The same holds true for FUE. Among those great and terrible yields from strip, I have also seen mega strip scars where donor hair that could better be used on top is used to repair the strip scar so that it isn't noticeable.
    I have never seen a strip scar that didn't jump out and grab my attention once a patient's head is shaved. Hair does disguise a good strip scar well, as long as the hair is kept reasonably long.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's clinic in Atlanta
    Cole Hair Transplant
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 01:45 PM.

But could you have an FUE transplant done with say 2000 grafts.... BUT ask to leave a strip for future use as an FUT?
    Maybe take the FUE hairs from the lower back of the scalp or something like that?
    Failing that can you use an area for FUT that has already been harvested for FUE?

Essentially Id like to fill in my temples now with FUE but Id like to have the option of full FUT later.

Quote Originally Posted by bighair View Post
    But could you have an FUE transplant done with say 2000 grafts.... BUT ask to leave a strip for future use as an FUT?
    Maybe take the FUE hairs from the lower back of the scalp or something like that?
    Failing that can you use an area for FUT that has already been harvested for FUE?

Essentially Id like to fill in my temples now with FUE but Id like to have the option of full FUT later.
    We commonly see patients do the reverse. They get a strip first, then FUE to soften their hairline or graft into the strip scar. I don't see any reason why a patient couldn't get FUE first, then a strip. Dr. Cole gets great yield from FUE even into scar tissue. I think yield depends heavily on the doctor and the healing technology used. If you absolutely have your mind set on strip, PLEASE call me and I can recommend a few doctors who we trust that do strip all of the time and will increase your chances of a satisfactory result.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Actually what Im thinking now is fix my hair line with 1500-2000 grafts FUE. Then potentially get FUT in 5-10 years time. Perhaps by then technology will have changed and I wont need to get FUT, but the key point is I want to get FUE while at the same time knowing I am not ruling out FUT for later.

Quote Originally Posted by bighair View Post
    Actually what Im thinking now is fix my hair line with 1500-2000 grafts FUE. Then potentially get FUT in 5-10 years time. Perhaps by then technology will have changed and I wont need to get FUT, but the key point is I want to get FUE while at the same time knowing I am not ruling out FUT for later.
    Before strip, doctors used a 4mm punch to remove grafts. This left round white scars that are commonly referred to as shotgun scars. These scars IMO look worse than a strip scar on a shaved head. I know of patients who have had strip surgery after this early type of 4mm punch harvesting where the doctor pulls a strip riddled with shotgun scars. In the right hands this procedure can be successful. I can't think of any reason why under normal circumstances an FUE patient couldn't later get a strip. The results from 4mm punch surgery never looked natural and it's a mystery to reputable top doctors why hair restoration surgeons continued to place plugs even though the results were horrible. Just a little side rant.
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Not sure if you remember the infamous infomercials on public TV channels back in the 80's and 90's. Dr. Bosley was the forefront in these so-called "educational segments" which IMHO were nothing more than commercial advertising.

These segments showcased the open donor procedures commonly known as "plugs" although the doctors were calling them grafts. They were indeed as large as 4mm and were mostly proposed as density fillers. Just about every patient that they previewed had a fair amount of thinning hair. So the end result would show guys with visual gains in density, nothing more.

A retired HT surgeon in my area did these plugs until late 90's into the early 2000 century. I have since seen a number of his patients in person and they all have the same hairline design with 4mm plugs. Again, many of these men had a fair amount of native hair that they have since lost. Only the pluggy hairline remains with some coverage behind it. The overall yield in many of theses patients were optimal but had no aesthetic appeal whatsoever.

The individuals who had multiple procedures had very depleted donor zones so subsequent strip procedures were remote possibilities because of the little amount of hair left to harvest and actually removed scar tissue more than anything else.

Some have their hairlines thinned out to soften the appearance, some have much smaller grafts placed between the plugs, some are living with it.

Many were not informed of the fact that MPB is progressive and they would eventually lose the native hair where the plugs were placed, and then be left in this dilemma.

There have been so many improvements since then and also effective hairloss meds like finasteride. Yet every now and then I still hear about patients getting these open donor plugs done. This is why research is soooo critical because now there are so many better options.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Again, many of these men had a fair amount of native hair that they have since lost. Only the pluggy hairline remains with some coverage behind it.

The overall yield in many of theses patients were optimal but had no aesthetic appeal whatsoever.Yet every now and then I still hear about patients getting these open donor plugs done. This is why research is soooo critical because now there are so many better options.
    Here is a vivid and extreme example of plugs that later came out of hiding as this patient/victim lost more hair. He later became our patient and was successfully repaired using thousands of scalp and beard grafts. He now looks great, but what a long and unnecessary road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plugs.jpg

Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	21537  
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yates Hair Science View Post
    Bigstar,

I agree with you in 5-10 years, I'm sure technology will have change by then. Both procedures have great results. One thing that is nice about FUE is you can cut your hair short. You can cut your hair short with the FUT also but you may have to keep it a certain length to cover the scar.
    What technology is 5-10 years from appearing?

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    What technology is 5-10 years from appearing?
    There have been tremendous advances in regenerative medicine and healing technologies. I believe this is the future of hair restoration. It's only going to get better.

Here is just one of many videos on the subject. Great progress is being made.

35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office in Atlanta
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 09:37 AM.