Default Scalp pain, burning and shedding

I'm 33 years old and have always had very long, thick hair. In fact, just a few months ago I was thinking how thick and healthy my hair was. I have been having increased shedding within the past few months and my scalp started constantly burning like it's on fire. I've seen my dermatologist and they see nothing wrong with my scalp, just gave me some topical steroids which have done nothing. Both my derm and primary doc have told me that the burning likely has nothing to do with my hair loss but I don't believe it. I don't know what to do, I've had tons of blood work and was told everything is normal. I don't know what to do at this point, I'm in constant pain and feel like I'm losing it. I would also like to know what the actual average daily hair loss is since my docs tell me it's completely normal to lose 100 hairs a day. If I lost 3000 hairs every month and new hair grew only 1/2 inch, it would obviously result in thinner hair. My hair is noticably thinner to me.

Default Feedback

Did you hear anything back regarding this? I am 23 and this exact problem just started happening to me.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar

Two patients- obviously this is not that unusual a problem, and something that I occasionally (not frequently) see with my patients, both male and female.

There is no medical basis to my knowledge to pain associated with hair loss. Some have conjectured that it may be psychologic (the pain of losing hair referred to the scalp) but I believe there is something more to it than just "in the head".

What I have found with a small percentage of these patients is that several steroid injections to the scalp help, and that minoxidil can exacerbate the problem.
    Wish I could be more helpful with this-

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
    Miami and NYC
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

I might have an idea of what's going on with me. I've been on immunosuppresants for over a year which can cause anemia. When I started shedding I requested that my iron and ferritin levels be checked, my iron was low normal and my ferritin was 17, which is low. I also found that I have low levels of B12 and folate. We are working to get my blood levels up to see if that has an impact on the hairloss. I got results from a scalp biopsy today of telogen effluvium, no signs of genetic or scarring alopecia. The burning has been reduced significantly within the past week. I also don't believe that the burning is only psychological, my derm believes that it may be caused from too many hairs entering the resting state at one time. I'm hopeful that this will resolve soon.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by briggscreek View Post
    I'm 33 years old and have always had very long, thick hair. In fact, just a few months ago I was thinking how thick and healthy my hair was. I have been having increased shedding within the past few months and my scalp started constantly burning like it's on fire. I've seen my dermatologist and they see nothing wrong with my scalp, just gave me some topical steroids which have done nothing. Both my derm and primary doc have told me that the burning likely has nothing to do with my hair loss but I don't believe it. I don't know what to do, I've had tons of blood work and was told everything is normal. I don't know what to do at this point, I'm in constant pain and feel like I'm losing it. I would also like to know what the actual average daily hair loss is since my docs tell me it's completely normal to lose 100 hairs a day. If I lost 3000 hairs every month and new hair grew only 1/2 inch, it would obviously result in thinner hair. My hair is noticably thinner to me.
    The AHLA receives countless emails from both men and women who seem to suffer with this phenomenon. I myself had a mild form of Trchodynia when I first began the hair loss processes. Its’ a seldom spoken about issue in the medical community and most physicians in the field find it difficult to address in their practices.

All I can say is that it is my opinion that there is definitely some correlation with common androgenic alopecia as well as other alopecia conditions.

This article on womenshairlossproject.com might help to put things into perspective
    Scalp Pain, sensitivity, burning, and Hair Loss

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer as to why Trichodynia occurs, but I think it’s important for you to know that you are not alone, and that many of us literally "feel your pain.”
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.