+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default PRP for androgenetic hair loss

    Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) seems to be promising, at least from what I've been reading on the men's section on PRP. Has any female with androgenetic hair loss tried PRP and seen any benefits? Please respond.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipsnum View Post
    Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP) seems to be promising, at least from what I've been reading on the men's section on PRP. Has any female with androgenetic hair loss tried PRP and seen any benefits? Please respond.
    YES!... it does work in women. When I had PRP done to me, in the office I saw a woman there in the waiting room waiting for her friend to get out. She had the PRP done months before and said she is elated about the results. In fact,her friend that she was with noticed a great increase in her hair and asked her how she did that. So because of that her friend decided to get it herself. I believe this technology works!

    Hope this helps,
    Destin

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thank you for responding, Destin. There are two other things I'd like to ask, and if others have experience or knowledge to respond, please do. And that is how often does one need to have PRP done? I have read that PRP should be done every six months. And what is its efficacy for balding women who also have poor health?

    A hair loss clinic I am considering getting treatment at in South Korea has, among several program options, a three-month PRP and immunity boost and/or mesotherapy treatment. But since I am leaving the country they are suggesting that I receive a concentrated three-month dosage--4 PRP treatments all within a month. And I am a bit worried that this might be potentially hazardous. I understand that there are no side effects; nevertheless, 4 PRP treatments in one month seems maybe a bit too much?

    I am also wondering if this treatment helps a young female like me experiencing chronic fatigue symptoms and scalp infections with AA or specifically healthy AA women. On my scalp are follicles here and there that will permanently never sprout hair, thinning hair, and follicles that only sprout one healthy hair--not two or three usually seen on healthy females. The clinic says that my hair loss isn't due to genetics, but directly a response to poor health symptoms such as hypoglycemia, poor digestion, chronic fatigue, e.g., but I am a bit skeptical as I am experiencing mostly no hair-growth in the crown area.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipsnum View Post
    Thank you for responding, Destin. There are two other things I'd like to ask, and if others have experience or knowledge to respond, please do. And that is how often does one need to have PRP done? I have read that PRP should be done every six months. And what is its efficacy for balding women who also have poor health?

    A hair loss clinic I am considering getting treatment at in South Korea has, among several program options, a three-month PRP and immunity boost and/or mesotherapy treatment. But since I am leaving the country they are suggesting that I receive a concentrated three-month dosage--4 PRP treatments all within a month. And I am a bit worried that this might be potentially hazardous. I understand that there are no side effects; nevertheless, 4 PRP treatments in one month seems maybe a bit too much?

    I am also wondering if this treatment helps a young female like me experiencing chronic fatigue symptoms and scalp infections with AA or specifically healthy AA women. On my scalp are follicles here and there that will permanently never sprout hair, thinning hair, and follicles that only sprout one healthy hair--not two or three usually seen on healthy females. The clinic says that my hair loss isn't due to genetics, but directly a response to poor health symptoms such as hypoglycemia, poor digestion, chronic fatigue, e.g., but I am a bit skeptical as I am experiencing mostly no hair-growth in the crown area.
    Those are very good questions, but you have to understand that this treatment for hairloss is really new. I am pretty sure Dr. Greco has said that this treatment would be beneficial to get every 8 months to a year. However, I believe that there would be no downside on getting it every 6 months (I believe you heard every 6 months from Dr. Feller). As far as if this treatment would help someone with chronic fatigue symptoms and scalp infections with AA.... I'm not sure. I think that would be a great question for Dr. Greco who I know would be happy to answer that question.

    Also, just know... that this treatment is really new and that results are very hard to predict. However, I think people should go into the mindset that if that JUST stopped/slowed down hair loss... then that's a miracle in itself. I personally believe (but I'm not a doctor) that there would be no downside on giving it a try, in my opinion the worst that could happen is that nothing would change with you and your out of a $1,000. I was willing to take that risk, and thus far I'm glad I did.

    Hope this helps,
    Destin

  5. #5
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jeffrey Epstein, MD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Miami and New York
    Posts
    247

    Default

    PRP is quite a promising therapy. Since applying it to our hair transplant procedure patients, we have seen the following advantages: quicker healing of graft sites; less inflammation of the donor area; reduced bruising and swelling; and during the procedure, a reduction in bleeding and oozing, definite advantages.
    As a stand-alone therapy, PRP seems to be best administered as biannual treatments, but I think at this early time of doctors learning about it, more frequent treatments probably would not hurt, and perhaps help.

    Keep us informed.

    Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
    Miami and NYC
    Jeffrey S. Epstein, MD
    Foundation For Hair Restoration

  6. #6
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    I agree with Dr. Epstein. We are just starting to get some feedback from some of our female patients. One common response I am hearing from the female patients is that the hair has so much more body. I have one female patient who had a hair transplant 15 months ago. She experienced significant post operative swelling around the eyes. She also had numbness for almost one year, and developed folliculitis about 1 months after the procedure and it took 6-8 months for it to subside. This same patient had a second hair transplant 2 months ago and only had minimal swelling (approx 80% less than first surgery), regained normal feeling in scalp after only a few days, and has not had any folliculitis up to this point. I feel confident that in the near future we will realize the true potential of the PRP treatments.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default PRP - explain

    Hi Experts

    Please explain a bit more what prp is and how is works? I havent heard of it at all.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whoops View Post
    Hi Experts

    Please explain a bit more what prp is and how is works? I havent heard of it at all.
    There's a long thread about PRP in the "Hairloss Treatments" section of this forum. Best of luck.

  9. #9
    Member Laserhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Big long thread about it in the hair loss treatment area.

    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=833

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default A 48 yr old gal who just had PRP last week

    Hello All,

    I just received my first PRP treatment with Dr. Joe Greco last Thursday

    I'll stop by and let you know how this all turns out over the next few months, as I expect that I will go back at about the 6 mo point, and then do the 8 mo
    regime...........

    Dr Greco is quite nice, and very easy to speak with--his HT work looks quite artistic---I'm really impressed with how his hairlines look--quite natural

    My hubby is considering a HT--and felt quite comfortable with Dr. Greco

    Anyway--back to the PRP--I have lost about 40% of my hair over the last 5-6 mo's time--so if I can even stop the shedding ( or at least slow the rate down) and put an end to the scalp pain--I will be thrilled

    My hair grows--new growth is very good at the top,although quite thin on the sides, but the hair-re-growth cannot keep up with the amount lost

    Funny thing here: Before the age of 40--I was told that I resembled the actress who played "Deanna Troi" on the TV show--"Star Trek, the Next Generation" I had that much hair!! Big Italian head of hair

    I had a bout of Lyme disease at age 40--so serious that it almost killed me--it was what destroyed my hair--I lost almost all of it between 2002-2003

    Prior to this past summers shed, I had recovered about 50% of what I had lost from the Lyme Disease( amino acids, Life Extension vitamin protocal, 5% minox, Dr. Proctor's regime)--so I was really quite bummed when I started to loose it again.............

    well, pity party over.............

    Will keep you abreast of my results,
    Fleur

Similar Threads

  1. Androgenetic alopecia and telogen effluvium?
    By arizona in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Several studies backing up LLLT devices. Should we believe them?
Yesterday 10:47 AM
by Vantage
Last Post By Vantage
Today 08:08 AM
Do I have a receding hairline?
07-05-2017 08:09 AM
Last Post By mattj
Today 06:10 AM
Best fue doctor in india - please help!
10-14-2012 09:37 AM
Last Post By creativeartmonkey
Today 04:56 AM
Dr Hakan Doganay - my experience documented
12-08-2016 10:09 AM
Last Post By HTvirgin83
Today 03:51 AM
Thinning crown but hairline is not receding.
11-29-2012 12:40 PM
by Feyd
Last Post By Lyte
Today 02:30 AM